From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: "Giuseppe Bilotta" <oblomov@freemail.it>, ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Senteces
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:17:34 +0200	[thread overview]

At 10:14 PM 10/15/00 -0400, Ed L Cashin wrote:
>Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:
>
>> What do others think of this feature?
>
>I don't understand the issue.  If it's just, "quote properly," then
>why wouldn't the author just put in any necessary quotes in the
>source, as one would do in English?
>
>    \starttext
>    Bert said the following:
>
>    ``I am an ant.
>
>    ``I am an ant from Jupiter, and I have come here.
>
>    ``I have come here, and that is that.''
>    \stoptext
>
>using whatever quotation marks are appropriate to the language ... or
>is it a language-support issue that I don't understand?

``I live in europe
''where they have all kind of funny quotes
,,sometimes located low
<<or in the middle
``and indeed, sometimes in the american way

now

`this is a quote
'and this too
``and this is actually a ligature
"but not in every font

which is why in context we have \quote and \quotation, just to free the
author from bothering about these issues, and once you have encountered
documents with 5 european languages mixed, you're happy for any automatism -)

Once you've lived in europe for a while you will understand why we need a
successor of tex that handles all those strange thingies. You may think
that the european community solved this, but each language really has
special things and they are defended with strong arguments [i have a real
funny book about all the contradicting dutch reform committees].

The discussion about << is interesting in itself, since the cmr's don't
have them and using less then signs as substitute is horror for the real
typographer. So far I'm lucky that nobody noticed,

Hans

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE