* I'm stumied...
@ 2000-10-18 19:17 Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2000-10-18 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I posted a mail a couple of hours ago. - I was wrong, because I found out,
that I had the format fiile generated on a wrong place ( I was mislead
because of the fact, that texexec moves the files to the correct position in
a Windows environment). - So this problem I solved myself.

Unfortunately I run into another struggle. After having created the
directories texmf-var/web2c as asked for by fmtutil, I have the pdfetex.efmt
format file generated and I have the ls-R database updated. - When starting
texexec I get the stumied-message caused by pdfetex. - Becaue I was not sure
how to handle the difference in TeX-tree setup asked by fmtutil and the
actually installed present tree, I tried also to insert the new format files
in the old tree (texmf/web2c). - Still I get the stumied-message after
starting texexec.

Is there anyone who can give me a hint how to tackle the problem?

Kind regards Willi

* Re: I'm stumied...
@ 2000-10-19  3:31 ` Mr. Wang Lei
From: Mr. Wang Lei @ 2000-10-19  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, Willi Egger wrote:

> Unfortunately I run into another struggle. After having created the
> directories texmf-var/web2c as asked for by fmtutil, I have the pdfetex.efmt
> format file generated and I have the ls-R database updated. - When starting
> texexec I get the stumied-message caused by pdfetex. - Becaue I was not sure
> how to handle the difference in TeX-tree setup asked by fmtutil and the
> actually installed present tree, I tried also to insert the new format files
> in the old tree (texmf/web2c). - Still I get the stumied-message after
> starting texexec.

Have you set your TEXMFCNF correctly?

Wang
Mr. Wang Lei                      Phone: 86-10-62541687
Institute of Applied Mathematics  Email: lwang@amath8.amt.ac.cn
Chinese Academy of Science        Address: P.O.Box 2734, Beijing, 100080

* Re: I'm stumied...
@ 2000-10-19  8:14 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-19  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:17 PM 10/18/00 +0200, Willi Egger wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I posted a mail a couple of hours ago. - I was wrong, because I found out,
>that I had the format fiile generated on a wrong place ( I was mislead
>because of the fact, that texexec moves the files to the correct position in
>a Windows environment). - So this problem I solved myself.
>
>Unfortunately I run into another struggle. After having created the
>directories texmf-var/web2c as asked for by fmtutil, I have the pdfetex.efmt
>format file generated and I have the ls-R database updated. - When starting
>texexec I get the stumied-message caused by pdfetex. - Becaue I was not sure
>how to handle the difference in TeX-tree setup asked by fmtutil and the
>actually installed present tree, I tried also to insert the new format files
>in the old tree (texmf/web2c). - Still I get the stumied-message after
>starting texexec.
>
>Is there anyone who can give me a hint how to tackle the problem?

There is a difference between win and linux. On linux the formats may go to
the "texmf-var" area and to what extend this succeeds depends on all kind
of settings. Part of this is hard codes in fmtutil.

Although a mixed win/linux setup is possible it's not trivial if you run
multiple trees too.  Here I manage thos with sets of env vars (needed
because I also run different pdftex's on win and linux which means that the
pool files don't match, and thereby the fmt not too).

TEXMFCNF=C:/LOCAL/CONTEXT/TEXMF/WEB2C
TEXMFMAIN=C:/LOCAL/TEX/TEXMF
TEXMFLOCAL=C:/LOCAL/TEX/TEXMF-LOCAL
VARTEXMF=C:/LOCAL/TEX/TEXMF-VAR
HOMETEXMF=C:/LOCAL/CONTEXT/TEXMF
CONTEXTPATH=C:/LOCAL/CONTEXT
TEMPFONTPATH=C:/TEMP
TEXFORMATS=C:/LOCAL/TEX/TEXMF-MSWIN/WEB2C
MFBASES=C:/LOCAL/TEX/TEXMF-MSWIN/WEB2C
MPMEMS=C:/LOCAL/TEX/TEXMF-MSWIN/WEB2C
TEXPOOL=C:/LOCAL/TEX/TEXMF-MSWIN/WEB2C
MFPOOL=C:/LOCAL/TEX/TEXMF-MSWIN/WEB2C
MPPOOL=C:/LOCAL/TEX/TEXMF-MSWIN/WEB2C

this works well with

texexec --make --alone en nl

which means that texexec will not use fmtutil

Actually, texexec can make formats without assistence, but on linux fmtutil
also takes care of some privelige settings.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE