* Colors in DVI output
@ 2000-11-05 21:59 Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2000-11-05 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm using ConTeXt on a MiKTeX distribution, and I seem not to be able to
activate the colors in DVI output. I have \setupcolors[state=start], and I
get them in PDF mode. Also, colors are there after a dvips, in the ps file.
How do I tell ConTeXt to use an alternative (non-ps) color specials
impementation? (possibly one understood by MiKTeX)

Giuseppe Bilotta

* Re: Colors in DVI output
@ 2000-11-06  9:42 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-06  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 10:59 PM 11/5/00 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm using ConTeXt on a MiKTeX distribution, and I seem not to be able to
>activate the colors in DVI output. I have \setupcolors[state=start], and I
>get them in PDF mode. Also, colors are there after a dvips, in the ps file.
>How do I tell ConTeXt to use an alternative (non-ps) color specials
>impementation? (possibly one understood by MiKTeX)

I suppose that you want to use a dvi viewer? Which one? Since there is no
standard on this, you need to load the appropriate special driver
[\setupout] but maybe there is no context special driver yet for your
viewer. No big deal, but i must know the specific specials then. Some
specials, like color, can be run in parallel without problems.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Colors in DVI output
@ 2000-11-06 16:20   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2000-11-06 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

> At 10:59 PM 11/5/00 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm using ConTeXt on a MiKTeX distribution, and I seem not to be able to
> >activate the colors in DVI output. I have \setupcolors[state=start], and
> >get them in PDF mode. Also, colors are there after a dvips, in the ps
file.
> >How do I tell ConTeXt to use an alternative (non-ps) color specials
> >impementation? (possibly one understood by MiKTeX)
>
> I suppose that you want to use a dvi viewer? Which one? Since there is no
> standard on this, you need to load the appropriate special driver
> [\setupout] but maybe there is no context special driver yet for your
> viewer. No big deal, but i must know the specific specials then. Some
> specials, like color, can be run in parallel without problems.

Since I use MiKTeX, my dvi viewer is YaP. It accepts various color special
formats ---for sure (I used it in latex), it accepts the one issued by the
dvipdfm option in the color package (the format is something like: "color
push <values>" and "color pop"

Giuseppe Bilotta

* Re: Colors in DVI output
@ 2000-11-06 22:46     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-06 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 05:20 PM 11/6/00 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>> At 10:59 PM 11/5/00 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>> >Hello,
>> >
>> >I'm using ConTeXt on a MiKTeX distribution, and I seem not to be able to
>> >activate the colors in DVI output. I have \setupcolors[state=start], and
>> >get them in PDF mode. Also, colors are there after a dvips, in the ps
>file.
>> >How do I tell ConTeXt to use an alternative (non-ps) color specials
>> >impementation? (possibly one understood by MiKTeX)
>>
>> I suppose that you want to use a dvi viewer? Which one? Since there is no
>> standard on this, you need to load the appropriate special driver
>> [\setupout] but maybe there is no context special driver yet for your
>> viewer. No big deal, but i must know the specific specials then. Some
>> specials, like color, can be run in parallel without problems.
>>

>Since I use MiKTeX, my dvi viewer is YaP. It accepts various color special
>formats ---for sure (I used it in latex), it accepts the one issued by the
>dvipdfm option in the color package (the format is something like: "color
>push <values>" and "color pop"

I need the more stupid ones, since I push and pop myself (more robust). Is
there some documentation for yap specials?

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Colors in DVI output
@ 2000-11-06 23:11       ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2000-11-06 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

> >Since I use MiKTeX, my dvi viewer is YaP. It accepts various color
special
> >formats ---for sure (I used it in latex), it accepts the one issued by
the
> >dvipdfm option in the color package (the format is something like: "color
> >push <values>" and "color pop"
>
> I need the more stupid ones, since I push and pop myself (more robust). Is
> there some documentation for yap specials?

I don't think there are ypa specials: it uses already-defined specials
(those used by dvipdfm for sure, and some others too).

In my ConTeXt-produced dvi the color specials are ps specials. I think yap
simply ignores those. maybe not prefixing those specials with "ps" would
help ...

Giuseppe Bilotta

* Re: Colors in DVI output
@ 2000-11-06 23:37         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-06 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 12:11 AM 11/7/00 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>> >Since I use MiKTeX, my dvi viewer is YaP. It accepts various color
>special
>> >formats ---for sure (I used it in latex), it accepts the one issued by
>the
>> >dvipdfm option in the color package (the format is something like: "color
>> >push <values>" and "color pop"
>>
>> I need the more stupid ones, since I push and pop myself (more robust). Is
>> there some documentation for yap specials?
>>

>I don't think there are ypa specials: it uses already-defined specials
>(those used by dvipdfm for sure, and some others too).
>
>In my ConTeXt-produced dvi the color specials are ps specials. I think yap
>simply ignores those. maybe not prefixing those specials with "ps" would
>help ...

You may then try:

\setupoutput[dvipdfm]

since there is a driver for dvipdfm (although minimally tested).

Hans

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Colors in DVI output
@ 2000-11-08 15:05           ` Christopher Tipper
From: Christopher Tipper @ 2000-11-08 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

> You may then try:
>
> \setupoutput[dvipdfm]

 This doesn't work for YaP but \setupoutput[dvipsone] does.

I'll leave the gurus to work out the post-mortem... :-)

Christopher

* Re: Colors in DVI output
@ 2000-11-08 18:18           ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2000-11-08 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

> >In my ConTeXt-produced dvi the color specials are ps specials. I think
yap
> >simply ignores those. maybe not prefixing those specials with "ps" would
> >help ...
>
> You may then try:
>
> \setupoutput[dvipdfm]

\setupoutput[dviwindo] did the trick.

Experimenting with the various outputs to find one compatible with YaP, I
found that dvipdfm makes the "color specials" disappear (a raw search for
"color" in the dvi file only gets the words of text containing the root
"color", and no specials). Is this correct?

Giuseppe Bilotta

* Re: Colors in DVI output
@ 2000-11-09  8:23             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-09  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 07:18 PM 11/8/00 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>> >In my ConTeXt-produced dvi the color specials are ps specials. I think
>yap
>> >simply ignores those. maybe not prefixing those specials with "ps" would
>> >help ...
>>
>> You may then try:
>>
>> \setupoutput[dvipdfm]
>>

>\setupoutput[dviwindo] did the trick.
>
>Experimenting with the various outputs to find one compatible with YaP, I
>found that dvipdfm makes the "color specials" disappear (a raw search for
>"color" in the dvi file only gets the words of text containing the root
>"color", and no specials). Is this correct?

dvi is a binary opcode language so you will only see the text that goes
into the special [there are 4 kind of special opcodes] so 'color' in this
case.

You can take a look at spec-yy and spec-win to see what codes are output.
Actually, we need a spec-yap.tex file.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Colors in DVI output
@ 2000-11-09 12:31               ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2000-11-09 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

> >Experimenting with the various outputs to find one compatible with YaP, I
> >found that dvipdfm makes the "color specials" disappear (a raw search for
> >"color" in the dvi file only gets the words of text containing the root
> >"color", and no specials). Is this correct?
>
> dvi is a binary opcode language so you will only see the text that goes
> into the special [there are 4 kind of special opcodes] so 'color' in this
> case.

I knew that. But all the color specials have "color" in their text, don't
they? (Ok, maybe dvipdfm color specials don't).

> You can take a look at spec-yy and spec-win to see what codes are output.
> Actually, we need a spec-yap.tex file.

I can ask Christian Schenk [isn't he the MiKTeX maintainer?] for a list of
specials recognized by yap.

Giuseppe Bilotta

* Re: Colors in DVI output
@ 2000-11-09 15:38                 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-09 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 01:31 PM 11/9/00 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>I knew that. But all the color specials have "color" in their text, don't
>they? (Ok, maybe dvipdfm color specials don't).

most have

>I can ask Christian Schenk [isn't he the MiKTeX maintainer?] for a list of
>specials recognized by yap.

ok,

hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE