* TeX capacity exceeded (stack size)
@ 2000-11-11 18:12 Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2000-11-11 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear ConTeXtuals,

the following source produces a message of the form given in the
title. The stack size has already been set to 1500 as proposed by
teTeX, so what is going wrong here?
---enter the source---
\mainlanguage[de]
\useencoding[win]
\runMPgraphicstrue

% Sinnspezifische Definitionen
\definedescription[eigenschaft][width=broad,
                                headstyle=italic,
                                location=serried]
\defineframedtext
   [beispiel][framecorner=round]
\define[1]\DNAcode{\CAP{#1}}

\starttext
Ähnlichkeitsmaße beziehungsweise Unähnlichkeitsmaße sind in der Regel
positiv. Größere Werte geben dabei weniger Ähnlichkeit an. Sehr häufig
wird die Ähnlichkeit als Nachbarschaft im Raum dargestellt, manchmal
auch als kurzer Weg in einem Baum.

Die Darstellung der Ähnlichkeit im Raum macht sich die Eigenschaften
eines Abstandes zu Nutze, die in der Mathematik folgendermaßen
definiert sind:

\eigenschaft{Symmetrie:} Ich bin meiner Mutter so ähnlich wie meine Mutter
mir.
\eigenschaft{Reflexivität:} Nichts ist mir ähnlicher als ich.
\eigenschaft{Dreiecksungleichung:} Wenn ich mich in $n$ Merkmalen von meiner
Mutter unterscheide und sie in $m$ Merkmalen von ihrer Mutter,
unterscheide ich mich in höchstens $n+m$ Merkmalen von meiner
Oma.
\stoptext

---exit the source---

---enter the log---
This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-13d-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.1) (format=cont-en 2000.11.9)  11 NOV 2000 19:05
**&cont-en minimal
(minimal.tex[/usr/share/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg]

ConTeXt  ver: 2000.3.13  fmt: 2000.11.9  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active
system         : cont-new loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
language       : patterns 2-en-2 2-uk-2 2-de-2 2-fr-2 2-sp-2 loaded
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
\openout2 = `minimal.tui'.

(./minimal.tuo) (./minimal.tuo) (./minimal.tuo) (./minimal.tuo) (./minimal.tuo)
(./minimal.tuo) (./minimal.tuo) (./minimal.tuo) (./minimal.tuo) (./minimal.tuo)
[pushing catcode " from 13]
encoding       : coding win is loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/enco-win.tex) [popping catcode " to 13]
(./minimal.tuo)
systems        : begin file minimal at line 13
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=1500].
\par ->\egroup \par
                    \@@stopdefinitie {eigenschaft}\BeforePar {}\AfterPar {}
\par ->\egroup \par
                    \@@stopdefinitie {eigenschaft}\BeforePar {}\AfterPar {}
\par ->\egroup \par
                    \@@stopdefinitie {eigenschaft}\BeforePar {}\AfterPar {}
\par ->\egroup \par
                    \@@stopdefinitie {eigenschaft}\BeforePar {}\AfterPar {}
\par ->\egroup \par
                    \@@stopdefinitie {eigenschaft}\BeforePar {}\AfterPar {}
\par ->\egroup \par
                    \@@stopdefinitie {eigenschaft}\BeforePar {}\AfterPar {}
l.26 \eigenschaft{Reflexivit^^e4t:}
                                    Nichts ist mir ^^e4hnlicher als ich.
If you really absolutely need more capacity,
you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.

Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 409 strings out of 31464
 5046 string characters out of 396054
 296779 words of memory out of 1100001
 22290 multiletter control sequences out of 10000+25000
 9049 words of font info for 28 fonts, out of 400000 for 1000
 22 hyphenation exceptions out of 1000
 1500i,1n,49p,124b,213s stack positions out of 1500i,500n,1500p,50000b,5000s
No pages of output.
---exit the log---

--
Johannes Hüsing <hannes@ruhrau.de>
[Sydney Organising Committee for the Olympic Games] spokesman Milton Cockburn

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded (stack size)
@ 2000-11-11 19:45 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-11-11 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Johannes Hüsing wrote:

> the following source produces a message of the form given in the
> title. The stack size has already been set to 1500 as proposed by
> teTeX, so what is going wrong here?

This are my settings:

main_memory.context = 1500000
hash_extra.context = 25000
pool_size.context = 750000
string_vacancies.context = 45000
max_strings.context = 55000
pool_free.context = 47500
nest_size.context = 500
param_size.context = 1500
save_size.context = 15000
stack_size.context = 1500
obj_tab_size.context = 256000

> (./minimal.tuo)
> systems        : begin file minimal at line 13
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [input stack size=1500].

But I expect the problem is in your input. Try to comment out parts to
see when it compiles. Perhaps you have a missing par or empty line
between definitions?

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded (stack size)
@ 2000-11-11 20:12   ` Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2000-11-11 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 08:45:13PM +0100, Berend de Boer wrote:
[...]
> But I expect the problem is in your input.

Very possibly.

> Try to comment out parts to
> see when it compiles.

I commented it out down to \definedescription[eigenschaap] without any
arguments. No change.

> Perhaps you have a missing par or empty line
> between definitions?

Yes, I had. Changed that, but no change.

--

@ 2000-11-11 20:24     ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-11-11 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Johannes Hüsing wrote:

> > Try to comment out parts to
> > see when it compiles.
>
> I commented it out down to \definedescription[eigenschaap] without any
> arguments. No change.

Can you post a short file which still exhibits the problem?

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded (stack size)
@ 2000-11-11 20:49       ` Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2000-11-11 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat 2000-11-11 (21:24), Berend de Boer wrote:
> Johannes Hüsing wrote:
>
> > > Try to comment out parts to
> > > see when it compiles.
> >
> > I commented it out down to \definedescription[eigenschaap] without any
> > arguments. No change.
>
> Can you post a short file which still exhibits the problem?

Just take the file I posted originally, insert empty lines between the
definitions and comment out the key-value pairs in the definition of eigenschaft.

Groetjes en dank je wel

Johannes

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded (stack size)
@ 2000-11-13  8:07 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-13  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 07:12 PM 11/11/00 +0100, Johannes Hüsing wrote:

>the following source produces a message of the form given in the
>title. The stack size has already been set to 1500 as proposed by
>teTeX, so what is going wrong here?

>\definedescription[eigenschaft][width=broad,
>                                headstyle=italic,
>                                location=serried]
>\starttext
>
>\eigenschaft{Symmetrie:} Ich bin meiner Mutter so ähnlich wie meine Mutter
>mir.
>\eigenschaft{Reflexivität:} Nichts ist mir ähnlicher als ich.
>\eigenschaft{Dreiecksungleichung:} Wenn ich mich in $n$ Merkmalen von meiner
>Mutter unterscheide und sie in $m$ Merkmalen von ihrer Mutter,
>unterscheide ich mich in höchstens $n+m$ Merkmalen von meiner
>Oma.

descriptions can be used in two ways:

\starteigenshaft{blabla}

\stopeigenshaft

or

\eigenshaft{blabla} ..... [empty line or \par]

The first one is the most robust and handles multiple paragraphs, the
second one saves some keying but needs an explicit end of par, otherwise
you get funny nesting \eigenshaft within \eigenshaft etc. [well, i can nill
that command, but then i would have to ducument that side effect -)

In context you can use [and some commands are even defined in such a way
that they handle it explicitly] abundant whitespace.

In pragma it's policy to set up a document source quite spacy, so not

text text
\eigenshaft {bla} ... \par
\eigenshaft {bla} ... \par
text test

but with empty lines and [believe it or not], we even nicely wrap our ascii
source. A rubish source has a bigger change to become a rubish document
[not because tex cannot deal with it, but because you may oversee errors].
We combine this with colorization of commands [and again, commands are set
up in such a way that it fits this scheme, otherwise I couldn't sit behind
a computer for more than a few hours].

So, to answer your question: empty lines. [this is one of the few commands
that is sensitive for it]

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE