* M-Math; \placeformula[-] and \displaylines cause problems
@ 2000-11-11 18:51 Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2000-11-11 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

After some investigational work I nailed it down to a m-math.tex
problem, which redefines \dodoplaatsformule and \dostartformula.

I have this (bigger than neccessary testcase):
-----------------<cut>--------------------------
\setupbodyfont[ams]\x13
\usemodules[math]
\def\bfC{{\Bbb C}}
\definefont [rsfst][rsfs10 sa \currentfontscale]
\def\rsfs#1{\ifmmode\hbox\fi{\rsfst#1}}

%\placeformula[-] % -- doesn't work, why?
%\startformula % -- doesn't work, but $$ does, why?
$$
\displaylines{
  \langle\phi|\chi\rangle\in\bfC, \quad\rsfs H\cdot\!\!\rsfs H\in\bfC\cr
  \langle\phi|\chi\rangle=\langle\chi|\phi\rangle^*\cr}
$$
%\stopformula  % -- doesn't work, but $$ does, why?
\bye
-----------------<cut>--------------------------
If I use \start|stopformula instead of $$ I get an error
If I use \placeformula[-] I get an error.

If I don't use the m-math.tex module, I get no error either way.

I really miss a proper documentation of m-math.tex. (I have no idea how
to use \overrightarrow, but \overset works, so I don't mind).

Tobias

--
This above all: To thine own self be true / And it must follow as the
night

* Re: M-Math; \placeformula[-] and \displaylines cause problems
@ 2000-11-13  9:44 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-13  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

At 07:51 PM 11/11/00 +0100, Tobias Burnus wrote:

>If I use \start|stopformula instead of $$ I get an error
>If I use \placeformula[-] I get an error.

In a couple of weeks I will clean up the math module, that is, when taco
has frozen it.

>If I don't use the m-math.tex module, I get no error either way.
>
>I really miss a proper documentation of m-math.tex. (I have no idea how
>to use \overrightarrow, but \overset works, so I don't mind).

Isn't much the same as in ams math? I seldom use such math myself -)

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: M-Math; \placeformula[-] and \displaylines cause problems
@ 2000-11-13 20:25   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2000-11-13 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

> >If I use \start|stopformula instead of $$ I get an error
> >If I use \placeformula[-] I get an error.
> In a couple of weeks I will clean up the math module, that is, when taco
> has frozen it.
I'm looking forward to it. I also would like to see a improved
documentation
of m-math. So I can use it right away without needing to find extra
documentation. (In an ideal world I won't need to look into any book,
but
the ConTeXt documentation and -- maybe the TeX Book.)
I would therefore also like to see a page in the manual which lists all
Math symbols and the math and text accents (for CM at least).

> >I really miss a proper documentation of m-math.tex. (I have no idea how
> >to use \overrightarrow, but \overset works, so I don't mind).
> Isn't much the same as in ams math? I seldom use such math myself -)
Well, I only looked in $TEXMF/doc/amstex/amsguide.dvi, but I found
nothing.

Tobias

* Re: M-Math; \placeformula[-] and \displaylines cause problems
@ 2000-11-14 12:20 ` S2P development
From: S2P development @ 2000-11-14 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tobias Burnus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After some investigational work I nailed it down to a m-math.tex
> problem, which redefines \dodoplaatsformule and \dostartformula.
> If I don't use the m-math.tex module, I get no error either way.

Both are essentially the same problem. m-math adds support for
'fleqn' and 'leqno' style settings, but this means that the current
version executes this:

\hbox to \hsize{$\displaystyle *formula* $}

And \halign is not legal in 'normal' inline math mode.

This actually works:

\placeformula[-]
\startformula
\vcenter{$$
\displaylines{...}
$$}
\stopformula

But I'm not too happy about pasting that into the module
code before I've had a chance to test it's behaviour under other
(weird) conditions.

Greetings, Taco

* Re: M-Math; \placeformula[-] and \displaylines cause problems
@ 2000-11-14 13:26   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-14 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 01:20 PM 11/14/00 +0100, S2P development wrote:
>Tobias Burnus wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> After some investigational work I nailed it down to a m-math.tex
>> problem, which redefines \dodoplaatsformule and \dostartformula.
>> If I don't use the m-math.tex module, I get no error either way.
>
>Both are essentially the same problem. m-math adds support for
>'fleqn' and 'leqno' style settings, but this means that the current
>version executes this:
>
>\hbox to \hsize{$\displaystyle *formula* $}
>
>And \halign is not legal in 'normal' inline math mode.
>
>This actually works:
>
>\placeformula[-]
>\startformula
>\vcenter{$$
>\displaylines{...}
>$$}
>\stopformula
>
>But I'm not too happy about pasting that into the module
>code before I've had a chance to test it's behaviour under other
>(weird) conditions.

right, i also remember making a hack for wang lei with regards to this, so
it needs some attention

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE