* x=8.5
@ 2000-11-19 14:47 siepo
From: siepo @ 2000-11-19 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Context doesn't seem to like this:

\definebodyfontenvironment[10pt][x=8.5pt]
\starttext
\showbodyfont[10pt]
\stoptext

In the log I get messages

bodyfont       : unknown format 8.5ptrmtf
bodyfont       : unknown format 8.5ptsstf
bodyfont       : unknown format 8.5pttttf

Siep

* Re: x=8.5
@ 2000-11-20 22:51 siepo
From: siepo @ 2000-11-20 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Nov, Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 03:47 PM 11/19/00 +0100, siepo@client44-3.kabelA.oprit.rug.nl wrote:
>>Context doesn't seem to like this:
>>
>>\definebodyfontenvironment[10pt][x=8.5pt]
>>\starttext
>>\showbodyfont[10pt]
>>\stoptext
>>
>>In the log I get messages
>>
>>bodyfont       : unknown format 8.5ptrmtf
>>bodyfont       : unknown format 8.5ptsstf
>>bodyfont       : unknown format 8.5pttttf
>
> The x=8.5pt refers to a body font size, so you need to define one
> first:
>
>   \definebodyfontenvironment[8.5pt]
>
> now we need some fonts, so
>
>   \definebodyfont[8.5pt][rm,ss,tt][default]
>
> then your def,
>
>   \definebodyfontenvironment[10pt][x=8.5pt]
>
> and gone are the messages.
>
> Hans

Thanks, that did it.

After all my other font enquiries, and also in response to your answer
to my `more font switches' question, and a mail from Berend, a few
general remarks:

maybe Context font switching is intuitive as long as you don't think
about it. However, a bit of experimentation leads to a lot of unexpected
behaviour.

Contrast this with the simple logic of LaTeX font switching, the basics
of which can be explained in two sentences:

1. LaTeX uses a set of mutually independent font characteristics:
   encoding, family, series, shape and size.
2. Selected font characteristics will take effect at the next
   \selectfont command, which will pick the font which best matches the
   then-current font characteristics as the new current font.

More on this later, from Taco and me both.

> PS. Since font sizes move through the system and since tex is very
> accurate but not inf, font sizes are rounded. You can influence this
> with (default)
> \chardef\fontdigits=1; the reason for rounding is that 3.5pt for tex
> can be 3.49999pt which is rather annoying if a size if part of a
> setting or csname.

Good tip.

Siep