* Re: Fwd: Re: beginner's questions
@ 2000-11-22  8:42 siep.kroonenberg
From: siep.kroonenberg @ 2000-11-22  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On 21 Nov, Frans Goddijn wrote:
> Siep quoted a looong set of quotes and added:
>
>> I would say that by not documenting `fine points of typo' in
> the manual,
>> you are locking out the non-programmers, not the non-designers.
>
> I am not a programmer and also not a designer. I merely want to
> profit as simply as possible from the wonderful powers of
> ConTeXt. I pour in that ascii and ConTeXt puts out nice looking
> documents.
>
> Did you forget adding a number of smileys here or are you really
> sour and bitter? What I've seen so far is that Hans is
> contributing immense amounts of time on ConTeXt development,
> making it available for free for those who might enjoy using it
> and he is always willing to explain where extra options are and
> what's on his to-do list. He offers help on this list and on
> TEX-NL. You also help out people who've got stuck somewhere which
> is great and you spend lots of time on MAPS for which everyone is
> grateful as well. I think it's helpful when you point out to-do's
> for Hans' list but sometimes it seems like you want to list a
> number of arguments why you should not be forced to use ConTeXt.
> Nobody here *is* pushing you! ;-)))
>
> Note that smiley there.
>
> Frans

I am using Context because of the maps and because of my work, and I
don't always find it easy to handle my frustrations in a constructive
way. Sorry.

--
Siep Kroonenberg
Kluwer Academic Publishers, Prepress Department

* Re: Fwd: Re: beginner's questions
@ 2000-11-21 15:50 siep.kroonenberg
From: siep.kroonenberg @ 2000-11-21 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

@ 2000-11-14  8:40 siep.kroonenberg
From: siep.kroonenberg @ 2000-11-14  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 Nov, Frans Goddijn wrote:
>> Does nobody besides me have an interest in keeping (or rather bringing)
>> the size of Context within tolerable limits?
>
> The specific subject eludes me here. I have gigabytes of disk space, and
> little of it is ConTeXt, and I can's see how much RAM ConTeXt uses of the
> 128 MB that I have, and a 1200 page book compiles quite fast on the 733mHz
> machine. So what's "tolerable"...

If you need to track down a problem, there is a lot of code where the
problem may be hidden. And with tracing on, logfiles can get very very
big. And I am not ready yet to ditch by 166MHz/32MB/2GB dual boot
Toshiba laptop. So, for me, Context is big. It is also a LOT bigger and
slower than LaTeX, not to mention plain tex.

>> Abstraction and indirection can prevent duplicate code but also make
>> code harder to understand. So, here too there is a break-even point and
>> I think that Context's font mechanism is way beyond it.
>
> To kme the font mechanism looks so simple that I can't see how it can work
> but it does. It's so transparent that I have a hard time finding out what
> maps to what but once a font has been installed for me, it works and I am

>> Are you telling me not to use Context since it doesn't
>> provide what I am after?
>
> I can't imagine hans would go around telling people who should or should
> not use it. You are the judge of what you want to use, for what reasons,
> and to have a good time with it.

Guess I should have added ;-)

--

[parent not found: <200011131338.OAA13198@plane.elvenkind.com>]