* vadjust / Re: BOUNCE ntg-context@let.uu.nl: Message too long (>40000 chars)
       [not found] <200011281520.QAA16679@denicser.let.uu.nl>
@ 2000-11-28 17:23 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-28 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Michal Kvasnicka

>Dear friends!
>
>I started to play with the \vadjust primitive in ConTeXt. I found it
>could be
>a way to do many nice thinks in company with typesetting on grid and the
>
>multicolumn environment.  Some primitive demonstration is included.
>
>But I'd like to know some things (probably these questions are for Mr.
>Hagen):
>
>1) Doesn't direct use of \vadjust spoil something in ConTeXt's gutter?

it depends on what goes in there

>2) As is visible in the demo, I don't know how to place the frame on the
>grid

\snaptogrid\vbox{whatever you want to snap}

[see core-grd.tex]

>    that way that the frame lines lay on baselines. The first frame is
>simply
>    included (please, see the source). The second and the fourth are
>`repositioned'
>    and `rescaled' by hand with some guessed nubmer: 4pt. Why does the
>number
>    work? And why it doesn't work at the top of the page? (Some
>interference
>    with the \topskip?)

can you send me the zip directly? it's too large for the list

>3) Is there some better way to do things like this?

depends, can't see what you want.

>Many thanks for your answers and even more thanks to Mr. Hagen for
>the ConTeXt. (Well, I can use the \vadjust with my plainTeX doublecolumn

there is a second multi col mechanism in the making, with spread support
and column spanning graphics and so

>macro, but I can't use background colors and many other ConTeXt hooks.
>In my opinion, many things that ConTeXt implements, cannot be implement
>in TeX. Maybe some low-level black magic. :-))

Something like that. I now have developed a rather good idea of what can
and cannot be done.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-11-28 17:23 UTC | newest]