* [Q] double-column footnotes
@ 2000-11-25 15:24 Han The Thanh
From: Han The Thanh @ 2000-11-25 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

is it posible to have footnotes in double-columns (the body text is single
column)?

Thanks,
Thanh

* Re: [Q] double-column footnotes
@ 2000-11-26 21:32 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-26 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt List

At 04:24 PM 11/25/00 +0100, Han The Thanh wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>is it posible to have footnotes in double-columns (the body text is single
>column)?

\setupfootnotes[n=2,columndistance=3em]

\starttext

\dorecurse
  {100}
  {Does it work or not. \footnote{Let's see how this works,
   well it does not work although it should and did one day
   before I screwed up again.} Sorry Thanh.}

\stoptext

It looks like I intermixed a \box and \unvbox as well as does not set the
split hsize. So, here is the patch that should go into core-not.tex:

\unprotect

\def\setcolumnfootnotes%
  {\def\startpushfootnote  {\setfootnotehsize % possibly overloaded
                            \setrigidcolumnhsize\hsize\@@vnkolomafstand\@@vnn
                            \bgroup
                            \stelinmargein[\c!uitlijnen=\v!links]%
                            \getvalue{\e!start\??vn\??vn}}%
   \def\stoppushfootnote   {\getvalue{\e!stop\??vn\??vn}%
                            \egroup}%
   \def\startpopfootnotes  {\bgroup
                            \setfootnotehsize
                            \setrigidcolumnhsize\hsize\@@vnkolomafstand\@@vnn
                            \setbox0=\vbox\bgroup}
   \def\stoppopfootnotes   {\egroup\rigidcolumnbalance0\egroup}}

\def\placefootnoteinserts%
  {%\ifvoid\footins \else % unsafe, strange
   \ifdim\ht\footins>\!!zeropoint\relax
     \ifendnotes \else
       \@@vnvoor
       \dofootnoterule  % alleen in ..mode
       \bgroup
       \setfootnotebodyfont
       \setbox0=\hbox
         {\startpopfootnotes
          \setfootnotebodyfont
          % this should be checked, smells like a mix-up
          % does not split: \ifcase\@@vnn\unvbox\else\box\fi\footins
          \ifcase\@@vnn\box\else\unvbox\fi\footins
          % this is too ugly actually
          \stoppopfootnotes}%
       \localframed
         [\??vn]
         [\c!breedte=\v!passend,
          \c!hoogte=\v!passend,
          \c!strut=\v!nee,
          \c!offset=\v!overlay]
         {\ifdim\dp0=\!!zeropoint           % this hack is needed because \va
            \hbox{\lower\dp\strutbox\box0}% % in margin number placement
          \else                             % hides the (always) present dept
            \box0
          \fi}%
       \egroup
       \@@vnna
     \fi
   \fi}

\protect

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: [Q] double-column footnotes
@ 2000-11-27 20:23   ` Han The Thanh
From: Han The Thanh @ 2000-11-27 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt List

Hi Hans & Frans & Berend,

thanks for your answers to my questions, they were very helpful. And
one more please: how can I load a module that define a new font family (eg.
font-trek.tex)? In case I want to use two serif font families in a
document, is it possible? (well, it rarely happens, but it can, can't it?)

> >is it posible to have footnotes in double-columns (the body text is single
> >column)?
>
> \setupfootnotes[n=2,columndistance=3em]
>
> \starttext
>
> \dorecurse
>   {100}
>   {Does it work or not. \footnote{Let's see how this works,
>    well it does not work although it should and did one day
>    before I screwed up again.} Sorry Thanh.}
>
> \stoptext
>
> It looks like I intermixed a \box and \unvbox as well as does not set the
> split hsize. So, here is the patch that should go into core-not.tex:

I did try

\setupfootnotes[n=2]

before sending the question, but it didn't work so I thought it means
something else.

Regards,

@ 2000-11-27 20:40     ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-11-27 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, ConTeXt List

Han The Thanh wrote:

> thanks for your answers to my questions, they were very helpful. And
> one more please: how can I load a module that define a new font family (eg.
> font-trek.tex)? In case I want to use two serif font families in a
> document, is it possible? (well, it rarely happens, but it can, can't it?)

I just use \input font-trek.tex :-)

It seems

	\setupbodyfont[ssi,trek,ss,11pt]

or so doesn't work (or it didn't when I first used this feature or so).

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: [Q] double-column footnotes
@ 2000-11-27 22:06       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-27 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Han The Thanh, ConTeXt List

At 09:40 PM 11/27/00 +0100, Berend de Boer wrote:
>Han The Thanh wrote:
>
>> thanks for your answers to my questions, they were very helpful. And
>> one more please: how can I load a module that define a new font family (eg.
>> font-trek.tex)? In case I want to use two serif font families in a
>> document, is it possible? (well, it rarely happens, but it can, can't it?)
>
>I just use \input font-trek.tex :-)
>
>It seems
>
>	\setupbodyfont[ssi,trek,ss,11pt]
>
>or so doesn't work (or it didn't when I first used this feature or so).

Thanks to msdos, i strip off chars until i have 3 left, but I will remove
that constraint soon, for the moment use 3 chars.

Also, in order to avoid conflicts, i will introduce other names for user
files.

\input ... is ok too

Hans

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: [Q] double-column footnotes
@ 2000-11-29 17:20   ` Han The Thanh
From: Han The Thanh @ 2000-11-29 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: thanh, ntg-context

Hi Hans,

> It looks like I intermixed a \box and \unvbox as well as does not set the
> split hsize. So, here is the patch that should go into core-not.tex:

I applied the patch you sent, but got an error that \setfootnotehsize is
undefined.

@ 2000-11-30  9:24     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-11-30  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: thanh, ntg-context

At 06:20 PM 11/29/00 +0100, Han The Thanh wrote:
>Hi Hans,
>

>> It looks like I intermixed a \box and \unvbox as well as does not set the
>> split hsize. So, here is the patch that should go into core-not.tex:

>I applied the patch you sent, but got an error that \setfootnotehsize is
>undefined.

Ah, i needed that one in a new otr, you can add this to cont-new.tex

\ifx\setfootnotehsize\undefined
  \def\setfootnotehsize{\hsize=\@@vnbreedte} % can be overloaded
\fi

Hans