* metapost capacity
@ 2000-12-20 16:28 Denis B. Roegel
From: Denis B. Roegel @ 2000-12-20 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: roegel

Hello,

This is not really a context question, so forgive me,
but I think it is a good place to get help for this.
For the first time, I have reached the main memory limit
of metapost :

! MetaPost capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=263001].
pic_mac_->...(SUFFIX2)shifted(SUFFIX2)off.endgroup

This is expected, because my drawing is huge. Now, can I increase
this limit without recompiling mpost and without creating
a new mpost.mem? I have tried to add

extra_mem_bot.mpost = 100000

in my texmf.cnf, but it doesn't work.
Is the only possibility to recreate mpost.mem? (I can do it
and will try it immediately, but I am just wondering if there
was a simpler workaround.)

Thanks,

Denis

* Re: metapost capacity
@ 2000-12-20 16:31 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-12-20 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, roegel

At 05:28 PM 12/20/00 +0100, Denis B. Roegel wrote:

>Hello,
>
>This is not really a context question, so forgive me,
>but I think it is a good place to get help for this.
>For the first time, I have reached the main memory limit
>of metapost :
>
>! MetaPost capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=263001].
>pic_mac_->...(SUFFIX2)shifted(SUFFIX2)off.endgroup
>
>This is expected, because my drawing is huge. Now, can I increase
>this limit without recompiling mpost and without creating
>a new mpost.mem? I have tried to add
>
>extra_mem_bot.mpost = 100000
>
>in my texmf.cnf, but it doesn't work.
>Is the only possibility to recreate mpost.mem? (I can do it
>and will try it immediately, but I am just wondering if there
>was a simpler workaround.)

You definitely have to recompile the format, otherwise you don't get the
bigger memory and (which is worse) you loose extra_begin_fig string
settings [took me quite time time to find out that string disappearance was
due to changing mem settings.] I sometimes run pictures up to mem size
8000000 without problems, so changing mem is ok.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE