* suggestion: some help for debugging
@ 2000-12-20 16:58 Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2000-12-20 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

in another post I described an error in the core.  To find it, I have to
redefine the macro and insert it just at the beginning.  Is it right, that
core-new.tex is a file that will be loaded at runtime?  And maybe it would
be a good idea, to have a second file cont-patch that will be loaded if
present at runtime.  Then I can place a corrected core function in this
file and it will automatically replace the one from the format.  Or what is
the way suggested for doing such things.

Uwe

--
mailto:koloska@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/

* Re: suggestion: some help for debugging
@ 2000-12-21  8:21 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-12-21  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 05:58 PM 12/20/00 +0100, Uwe Koloska wrote:
>Hello,
>
>in another post I described an error in the core.  To find it, I have to
>redefine the macro and insert it just at the beginning.  Is it right, that
>core-new.tex is a file that will be loaded at runtime?  And maybe it would
>be a good idea, to have a second file cont-patch that will be loaded if
>present at runtime.  Then I can place a corrected core function in this
>file and it will automatically replace the one from the format.  Or what is
>the way suggested for doing such things.

There are two files loaded at run time:

cont-new : here go patches of new things
cont-loc : local patches

Now, cont-new will change with an update, but if you add thinsg to
cont-loc, you must be sure that you keep 'm in sync with context core
macros. Here I do have a cont-loc with some speed tests and improvements
that I not yet trust enough to make them public

Patches posted on this list (or send to people) have to go to cont-new.tex,
since then they will be cleaned up during an update.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: suggestion: some help for debugging
@ 2000-12-21 13:00   ` Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2000-12-21 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans wrote on Donnerstag, 21. Dezember 2000 09:21:

>There are two files loaded at run time:
>
>cont-new : here go patches of new things
>cont-loc : local patches
>
>Now, cont-new will change with an update, but if you add thinsg to
>cont-loc, you must be sure that you keep 'm in sync with context core
>macros. Here I do have a cont-loc with some speed tests and improvements
>that I not yet trust enough to make them public

Just to make it clear:
Is it guaranteed, that cont-loc is not used by the distribution?  And
loaded if present?

Uwe

--

@ 2000-12-21 15:44     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-12-21 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:00 PM 12/21/00 +0100, Uwe Koloska wrote:
>Hans wrote on Donnerstag, 21. Dezember 2000 09:21:
>>
>>There are two files loaded at run time:
>>
>>cont-new : here go patches of new things
>>cont-loc : local patches
>>
>>Now, cont-new will change with an update, but if you add thinsg to
>>cont-loc, you must be sure that you keep 'm in sync with context core
>>macros. Here I do have a cont-loc with some speed tests and improvements
>>that I not yet trust enough to make them public
>>

>Just to make it clear:
>Is it guaranteed, that cont-loc is not used by the distribution?  And
>loaded if present?

Yes, because it's used by me [and afaik only taco has a copy for some speed
testing purposed] and it will never make it as file in the distribution.
But, it's at your own risk putting stuff in there -)

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE