From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Subject: Re: beta and hanging question
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 01:26:14 +0100	[thread overview]

At 04:40 PM 12/27/00 -0400, George N. White III wrote:
>On Wed, 27 Dec 2000, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> At 08:00 PM 12/25/00 +0100, Frans Goddijn wrote:
>> >Hello all,
>> >
>> >What better use for a fine xmas day than try something new in ConTeXt...
>> >;=}}
>> > [...]
>>
>> >\steluitlijnenin[hangend]
>> >
>> >I get no error messages but the resulting text shows no protrusions at
>> >all...
>> >
>> >Anyone any idea what I do wrong?
>>
>> You have to set up fonts to protrude [not that complicated, see MAPS
>> article] which comes down to assigning a handler to a font [see
>> enco-pro.tex].
>>
>> So, finally you get something like this [you can set protruding per font
>> and change the amounts per font shape etc]
>>  [...]
>
>Hmmm, my experiments ended with too much of an effect, either using
>essentially the same as the example given in Hans' response, and then a
>simpler example with plain tex.  Whenever a line ends in a protruding
>character (e.g., hyphen or punctuation) the character preceeding the
>line-ending glyph is also set in the margin:
>
>  |                    |
>  |We thrive .. because|
>  |of our ........ to se-
>
>There was no change using a newer pdftex (on SGI irix 6.5, build with gcc
>2.95.2)

There has been a small change [not yet in the tex files] in the metrics [em
instead of fake design size] that the pdftex binary (version h) uses but
this can be no reason for the e sticking into the margin. So, this is
something for Thanh.

I'll send you my output in a separate mail.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE