From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Subject: Re: river detection
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 12:57:32 +0100	[thread overview]

At 11:40 AM 1/10/01 +0100, Frans Goddijn wrote:
>That would be nice, detections of the "rivers of white". A while ago I had
>one perfectly vertical "river" in a short paragraph, freakish, not a river,
>a steel straight canal!

Tex can do strange things, especially when you test things like

\dorecurse{10}{Some short sentence. }

you can get rivers depending on the width of the paragraph. If this
sentence fits twice, the pre last line often is squeezed. I suppose it has
to do with some overall baddness calculation.

BTW, thanh had implemented some switch to fool tex into continuing while
some overfull line was found, but i'm not sure if it's still there.
[something \avoid..., one of the magic secret pdf primitives]

>But if I could make a wish or three  I'd have
>
>1) a printed ConTeXt manual
>   (with plenty explicit examples showing not only the
>    "idea" of the method but full head-to-tail ready to
>     cut-and-paste actually working examples...)

i know, currently ton is updating the beginners one, next will be the
reference, and then a design manual

>2) a perfectly simple single command like
>    "texexec font tim" to auto-install
>   all tim*.afm/.pfb files in a given directory ;=}}

would ne a separate script then, more a texutil job btw

>3) "texexec create masterpiece mcNab "
>     yielding in auto-expand a truly original nobel
>     prize winning novel, that wrote itself in the style
>     of Nabokov and was autoformatted, with
>     protruding characters of course (I could live
>     with any meandering rivers of white then... ;=}}}

Well, texexec could go to google and turn the resulting list of urls into a
random book if it would make you happy.

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl