From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Some preliminary difficulties
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:29:48 +0100	[thread overview]

At 06:21 PM 1/15/01 -0800, David Arnold wrote:

>I use WinEdt. As much as I like WinEdt, I keep hoping to see that editor
>you've talked about for Context. Someday. Anyhow, it seems that would aid
>in the solution of a lot of problems that occur. A common IDE would give us
>some common ground on which to communicate with you.

just be patient ....

>>So, it's not that big a problem -)
>
>I need to find an efficient way to work on this project. If I recall, when
>you worked on the Metafun manual (I should say, when you are working on the
>Metafun manual), I would get pieces from time to time. This would be an
>indication that you work on the pieces separately before entering them in
>the main document. Could I hear some comments on this? I'd love to get some
>inkling on how the development of the Metafun manual was handled.

Hm, do you really want this? As you can see: no project, just a product.

% interface=english output=pdftex

\startproduct metafun

\environment   mfun-000  % layout

\startnotmode[screen]
  \component   mfun-020  % title page
  \component   mfun-030  % colofon page
\stopnotmode

\startmode[screen]
  \environment mfun-100  % screen layout
  \component   mfun-120  % title page
\stopmode

\startfrontmatter
  \component   mfun-001  % introduction
  \component   mfun-021  % contents
  \component   mfun-023  % conventions
\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter
  \component   mfun-004  % welcome
  \component   mfun-002  % some basics
  \component   mfun-003  % embedding graphics
  \component   mfun-005  % enhancing layout
  \component   mfun-008  % positional graphics
  \component   mfun-006  % page backgrounds
  \component   mfun-007  % gadgets
  \component   mfun-009  % special effects
  \component   mfun-010  % text in metapost
  \component   mfun-014  % debugging
  \component   mfun-015  % defining styles
  \component   mfun-027  % functions
  \component   mfun-012  % examples
  \component   mfun-011  % metafun macros
  \component   mfun-017  % graphics
\stopbodymatter

\startappendices
  \component   mfun-013  % programs
  \component   mfun-026  % syntax
  \component   mfun-016  % document
  \component   mfun-018  % reference
  \component   mfun-019  % literature
\stopappendices

\startbackmatter
  \component   mfun-022  % index
  \component   mfun-024  % todo
\stopbackmatter

\startmode[screen]
  \component   mfun-130  % colofon page
\stopmode

\startnotmode[screen]
  \component   mfun-025  % back page
\stopnotmode

\stopproduct

That's all. I process the files with

texexec --mode=screen --result=metafun-s metafun
texexec               --result=metafun-p metafun

Simple as that. Of course I can run componts too. Also, our editor permits
partial runs and copies all code before \start...

% interface=english output=pdftex

\startcomponent mfun-014

\environment mfun-000 % i can change this to another simple fast env

\chapter [sec:debugging] {Debugging}

\startintro

>On my office Windows 2000 machine, when we compiled the present
>Chapter1.tex last week, it was a very long compile, with a number of
>windows opening and closing. I'd say easily over 2 minutes on a 700MHz
>machine to get the resulting 11 pages. My aide is just learning, so there
>will be a lot of write a little code, compile, write a little code,
>compile, etc, so a long compile like this will quickly frustrate her.

Oh, then I just run as "texexec --nomp (run)".

Also, popping up windows is not what happens in web2c pdfetex! Just ask the
author of miktex to *not* open a window.

>How do I keep those windows from opening and closing (a lot of Metapost
>graphs are gonna be present in these files)? What kind of run should we do
>if we don't want to worry about the graphics, just see if the code compiles
>properly, etc.?

also, you can say \runMPgraphicsfalse on top of your file

>Perhaps you can discuss some various compile strategies for efficient use
>of our time.

Better not, i use my time very inefficient. If something pops into my mind,
i'll let you know.

[btw, every time i use another editor, i realize how efficient fast file
browsing/opening is, which is what we have her'e for years, that really
saves, also syntax highlighting saves troubles (no wierd colors please) as
well as symmetry testing; and ... never use windows, just a dos box or a
black background. White backgrounds are at least for me good for headaches]

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl