* Prefixing figures with "T-", "P-", "A-"
@ 2001-01-18  7:14 James Ramsey
From: James Ramsey @ 2001-01-18  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mostly, I just use LaTeX for reports, esp. lab
reports. I'm a student. I was hoping to use ConTeXt to
do the next couple reports. (If I don't get a chance
to, it's no biggie--but I would like to use a macro
package that seems to be put together with
customization in mind,) Anyway, currently, the way
figure numbering is done in the lab reports is that in
the "Results" section, the tables and graphs are
labeled Table 1, 2, Figure 1, 2, etc., but in the
Theory section, any figures are labeled Figure T-1,
Figure T-2, etc., and in the Procedure and Appendix,
the prefixes for the figures and tables are "P-" and
"A-", respectively. I wouldn't call this the prettiest
prefixing scheme. Mostly this is there so that the
tables and figures in the Results section can start at
1. I've done this basically by redefining \thefigure
as T-\arabic{figure}, P-\arabic{figure}, etc., which
means that in cross-references, the prefixes will
appear as part of the table and figure numbers, which
is what I want.

Is there a way that I can do this in ConTeXt? I saw
something about numbercommand, but I wasn't sure if
that's what I was looking for or not.

A couple other questions while I'm at it:

1) Is there a way to prefix the page number so that
the prefix appears in a cross-reference, i.e. so that
a reference to page A-3 in the appendix will appear as
"A-1" automatically.

2) Is there a way to do multiline headers and footers
in ConTeXt?

=====

----I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool.----

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

* Re: Prefixing figures with "T-", "P-", "A-"
@ 2001-01-18  9:03 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-18  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:14 PM 1/17/01 -0800, James Ramsey wrote:
>Mostly, I just use LaTeX for reports, esp. lab
>reports. I'm a student. I was hoping to use ConTeXt to
>do the next couple reports. (If I don't get a chance
>to, it's no biggie--but I would like to use a macro
>package that seems to be put together with
>customization in mind,) Anyway, currently, the way
>figure numbering is done in the lab reports is that in
>the "Results" section, the tables and graphs are
>labeled Table 1, 2, Figure 1, 2, etc., but in the
>Theory section, any figures are labeled Figure T-1,
>Figure T-2, etc., and in the Procedure and Appendix,
>the prefixes for the figures and tables are "P-" and
>"A-", respectively. I wouldn't call this the prettiest
>prefixing scheme. Mostly this is there so that the
>tables and figures in the Results section can start at
>1. I've done this basically by redefining \thefigure
>as T-\arabic{figure}, P-\arabic{figure}, etc., which
>means that in cross-references, the prefixes will
>appear as part of the table and figure numbers, which
>is what I want.
>
>Is there a way that I can do this in ConTeXt? I saw
>something about numbercommand, but I wasn't sure if
>that's what I was looking for or not.

This can be set up with the "way=bysomething" keys, most variables permit
this.

\starttext

\startsectionblockenvironment [bodypart]
  \setupcaptions[way=bytext]
\stopsectionblockenvironment

\startsectionblockenvironment [appendix]
  \setupcaptions[way=bychapter]
\stopsectionblockenvironment

\startbodymatter
  \chapter{test} \placefigure{}{}
\stopbodymatter

\startappendices
  \chapter{test} \placefigure{}{}
\stopappendices

\stoptext

>A couple other questions while I'm at it:
>
>1) Is there a way to prefix the page number so that
>the prefix appears in a cross-reference, i.e. so that
>a reference to page A-3 in the appendix will appear as
>"A-1" automatically.

\setuppagenumbering[chapternumber=yes]

>2) Is there a way to do multiline headers and footers
>in ConTeXt?

\setupheadertexts[\vbox{bla bla \endgraf bla bla}]

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Prefixing figures with "T-", "P-", "A-"
@ 2001-01-19 23:28 James Ramsey
From: James Ramsey @ 2001-01-19 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> At 09:58 AM 1/18/01 -0800, James Ramsey wrote:
>
> >! Undefined control sequence.
> >l.3 \startsectionblockenvironment
> >                                 [bodypart]
> >? H
>
> can you add
>
> % interface=en
>
> at the top of your file?
>
> if it still fails, you need to update [not that
> complicated] or just put
> the things between the start/stop in you docu stream
> directly.

I "just put the things between the start/stop in you
docu stream directly" and now the test file compiles;
however, I'm not sure how it answers the question of
how to prefix figure numbers with "T-" or "P-" and
have the prefixed numbers able to show up in
cross-references.

=====

----I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool.----

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

* Re: Prefixing figures with "T-", "P-", "A-"
@ 2001-01-19  8:33 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-19  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

@ 2001-01-18 17:58 James Ramsey
From: James Ramsey @ 2001-01-18 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> This can be set up with the "way=bysomething" keys,
> most variables permit
> this.
>
> \starttext
>
> \startsectionblockenvironment [bodypart]
>   \setupcaptions[way=bytext]
> \stopsectionblockenvironment
>
> \startsectionblockenvironment [appendix]
>   \setupcaptions[way=bychapter]
> \stopsectionblockenvironment
>
> \startbodymatter
>   \chapter{test} \placefigure{}{}
> \stopbodymatter
>
> \startappendices
>   \chapter{test} \placefigure{}{}
> \stopappendices
>
> \stoptext

I tried typesetting the text above to see what it
would do, but texexec just gave me the error message

! Undefined control sequence.
l.3 \startsectionblockenvironment
                                 [bodypart]
? H
The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the
correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

I don't know if I have to define something beforehand
so that \startsectionblockenvironment is valid, or if
I'm just dealing with a slighly older version of
ConTeXt. (The ConTeXt I have came with teTeX 1.0.6.)

=====