From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: problem with supp-pdf.tex
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:37:08 +0100	[thread overview]

At 05:53 PM 1/19/01 +0100, Andreas Fieger wrote:

>% Version 2000.04.28 produces an error in the MetaPost label
>% (extra `[' and `]' arround words).

Can you try the latest version? There have been problems with spaces
[happens in strings] which were solved,

>% and experimenting a bit (without really understanding
>% the \TeX-code) we find (?) the problem in
>%
>%            [\gMPa\scratchcounter]\space

Indeed, that has been there for a short moment, some left over from testing.

>% (see definition of \handleMPfshow in sup-pdf.tex version=2000.04.28).
>%
>% If we change it to
>%
>%            \gMPa\scratchcounter\space
>%
>% everything seems to work fine (except for a slightly too narrow
>% bounding box which is probabply due to the missing `space-character'
>% in cmr; if we change the font by using defaultfont:="phvr8r"; the
>% bounding box is OK).

that is (at least as far as i can test) solved by using a box instead.
There should be some

\def\MPspacechar%
  {\setbox\scratchbox=\hbox{\char32}\kern\wd\scratchbox}%

code in there.

>% I don't understand the concept behind the macro definition

it was there purely for testing and i forgot to remove it, unfortunately
supp-pdf is coppied to other locations, instead of simply taking the one in
the context subtree.

There are a few other changes, but these deal with improved clipping and
bbox issues but i don't think that that branch in the cod is used outside
context.

[if needed, you can convert mp graphics to stand alone pdf with the mptopdf
format which also takes care of things like shading, outline fonts, and
graphic inclusion in metapost code as well]

So, the solution to your problem is: fetch the latest context from our
site, unzip the cont-tmf file in the texmf root, and your latex will
probably work again; make sure that no other copies live on your system]

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl