From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: xml support in context / mathml
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 16:54:19 +0100	[thread overview]

At 03:38 PM 1/22/01 +0100, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>Hans Hagen wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The latest beta has xml support build in. If you follow the xml link at our
>> homepage, you arrive at a page where the topmost link will bring you to the
>> preliminary "xml in context" manual.
>
>> Attached is a file that shows how (currently) the content mathml filter
>> performs. I got most of it working [as with presentattional) but for very
>> complicated math, i will have to map onto math macros that i guess are now
>> living on taco's machine, but that will be sorted out later. I will release
>> the mml filters when i can handle the outpus as mentioned in the mathml
>> draft [some things in there still puzzle me since i don't know all those
>> math concepts in detail]
>
>Some parts of the spec apparently have been written with the precise
>purpose
>of being as confusing as possible. Mayhap they had some internal dispute
>over
>some of the options/syntax that they have not resolved yet.

I can now reasonably well process the 280 examples in the draft,
presentation as well as content, and extending things is not that hard.

I just downloaded the demo suite from w3c and (surprise) some examples
there are rendered different than the draft. I'm not sure if we need to
support all the crappy attributes.

I expect that we need to map more complicated constructs onto the more
advanced display math macros you must have on your machine. So, we need
aproper in-between-tex layer for the real tough jobs.

Somehow, when i look at the specs, i cannot get by the feeling that some
important aspects have been overlooked -)

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl