* header/footer suppression
@ 2001-01-24 19:07 Pierre Goossens
From: Pierre Goossens @ 2001-01-24 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello everyone,

I am writing a document which I would like to print double-sided.

I use the dutch commands:

\stelhoofdtekstenin[paragraaf][hoofdstuk]
\stelnummeringin[plaats={voet,kantlijn},variant=dubbelzijdig]

or in english:
\setupheadertexts[section][chapter]
\setuppagenumbering[location={footer,marginedge},alternative=doublesided]

When a chapter ends on an odd page, I would like the next even page to be
completely blank. Sounds simple enough, but how do I achieve this? I am no
TeXnician, so I ask you if this is possible with a standard command. If
anyone knows a solution I am much obliged.

Greetings,

Pierre Goossens

* Re: header/footer suppression
@ 2001-01-24 19:38 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-24 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:07 PM 1/24/01 +0100, Pierre Goossens wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I am writing a document which I would like to print double-sided.
>
>I use the dutch commands:
>
>\stelhoofdtekstenin[paragraaf][hoofdstuk]
>\stelnummeringin[plaats={voet,kantlijn},variant=dubbelzijdig]
>
>or in english:
>\setupheadertexts[section][chapter]
>\setuppagenumbering[location={footer,marginedge},alternative=doublesided]
>
>When a chapter ends on an odd page, I would like the next even page to be
>completely blank. Sounds simple enough, but how do I achieve this? I am no
>TeXnician, so I ask you if this is possible with a standard command. If
>anyone knows a solution I am much obliged.

By default a chapter starts on an odd page.

\setuphead[chapter[page=right]
\stelkopin[hoofdstuk][pagina=rechts]

other options are: left|links viertal|quadruple or any page option.

Does left/right solve your problem or do you need something else?

Hans

                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: header/footer suppression
@ 2001-01-24 20:44   ` Pierre Goossens
From: Pierre Goossens @ 2001-01-24 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

I would not dream to ask a question when the answer can be found in one of
those nice manuals like cont-eni or cont-nli! :-)

>>When a chapter ends on an odd page,
                 ^^^^
Let me clarify this. By default a chapter starts on an odd page, for
instance page number 7. One can imagine that the chapter *ends* for
instance on page number 11. But now my problem: the following even page 12
still displays the chapter title in the headertext but I want this to be
empty! So:

>>I would like the next even page to be completely blank.

Actually I am not that bothered by the pagenumbers but I would like to know
who to turn those off in the above example.

>other options are: viertal|quadruple or any page option.
Nice ways to save paper, but no.

>Does left/right solve your problem or do you need something else?
Something else, please, thank you.

Pierre

* Re: header/footer suppression
@ 2001-01-25  7:57     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-25  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:44 PM 1/24/01 +0100, Pierre Goossens wrote:
>I would not dream to ask a question when the answer can be found in one of
>those nice manuals like cont-eni or cont-nli! :-)
>
>>>When a chapter ends on an odd page,
>                 ^^^^
>Let me clarify this. By default a chapter starts on an odd page, for
>instance page number 7. One can imagine that the chapter *ends* for
>instance on page number 11. But now my problem: the following even page 12
>still displays the chapter title in the headertext but I want this to be
>empty! So:
>
>>>I would like the next even page to be completely blank.
>
>Actually I am not that bothered by the pagenumbers but I would like to know
>who to turn those off in the above example.

% output=pdftex

\starttext

\setuphead
  [chapter]
  [page=,
   before={\page\ifodd\realpageno\else\page[empty]\fi\page[right]}]

\setupheadertexts
  [chapter]

\chapter {test} \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte }
\chapter {test} \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte }
\chapter {test} \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte }

\stoptext

@ 2003-04-01 13:17         ` Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2003-04-01 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote
> Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>> Guy Worthington wrote:

> >> You've a good success rate -- first time you haven't read my mind.
>
> > perhaps I anticipated that the problem would give me a headache.

:-)

> > [pithy summary of my problem; consults crystal ball and exclaims]
>
> > But there is probably a) a switch already in ConTeXt, that I haven't
> > seen or b) Hans has just needed such code, so it is already in the
> > pre-beta ...
>
> [Hans Hagen posts a simple interface, that's hiding complex code.]

Thanks Hans the interface is clean and easy to use.

Here is my environment file (Please, if anyone finds my posting of my
full environment annoying, please say so, and I'll refrain from doing
it.)

-------------------------

%% environment file
\startenvironment EnvironmentISOLayout

%%-----
% Bugs and enhancements in ConTeXt
\unprotect

\def\preparethenumber#1#2#3% {\??id#1} \number \result
   {\doifelsevaluenothing{#1\c!scheider}
      {\let\numberseparator\empty
       \let#3#2}
      {\edef\numberseparator{\getvalue{#1\c!scheider}}%
       \edef#3{\@EA\separatednumber\@EA{#2}}}}  % hm, etex

% more tolerancy needed
\def\dohandelpaginaafB#1%
   {\doifvaluesomething{\??ko#1\c!pagina}
      {\def\resetcurrentsectionmarks% toegevoegd, zie \pagina
         {\resetsectionmarks{\previoussection\@@sectie}}%
       \pagina[\getvalue{\??ko#1\c!pagina}]%
       \dohandelpaginaafBB{#1}\v!hoofd\c!hoofd
       \dohandelpaginaafBB{#1}\v!tekst\c!tekst
       \dohandelpaginaafBB{#1}\v!voet \c!voet}}

% we install a few page handler keys
\installpagebreakhandler \v!hoofd
   {\doifnotvalue{\??tk\v!hoofd\c!status}\v!stop
      {\setupheader[\c!status=\v!leeg]}}

\installpagebreakhandler \v!voet
   {\doifnotvalue{\??tk\v!voet\c!status}\v!stop
      {\setupfooter[\c!status=\v!leeg]}}

\protect
%%-----

\autoloadmapfilestrue

%% pagelayout lucida-brightISOLayout (double page)
\usetypescript [serif] [hanging] [thanh]
\setupencoding [default=texnansi]
\setupbodyfont [cmr,14.4pt]
\setupalign [hanging]
\def\GoldenRatio{1.61803}
\setbox0\hbox{\dorecurse{26}{\character\recurselevel}}
\setuplayout [width=2.5\wd0,
              header=\lineheight,
              footer=\lineheight,
              height=\GoldenRatio\makeupwidth,
              headerdistance=\dimexpr(
                (\makeupheight - 35\lineheight - \headerheight - \footerheight)
 	        /2),
   	      footerdistance=\headerdistance,
              backspace=\dimexpr(\makeupwidth/7),
              topspace=\dimexpr(\makeupwidth/7)]

%% global stuff
\setupcolors[state=start]

\setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided,
%                    option=doublesided,
                    location={header,marginedge}]

%% chapter head layout
\setuplist [section]
           [style=boldslanted,
	    align=right,
	    interaction=all,
	    symbol=1,
	    width=1em,
	    pagenumber=no,
	    before=,
	    after=]
\definepagebreak % now we can define a new page break:
   [chapter]
   [yes,header,right]
\definetext[chapter][footer][pagenumber] % page on which chapters begin
\setuphead [chapter]
           [page=chapter,
            header=empty,    % suppress header at start of chapter
            footer=chapter,  % footer at start of chapter
	    numberstyle=ChapterTitleNumberFont,
	    textstyle=ChapterTitleTextFont
	    alternative=command,
	    command=\ContentsHead,
	    prefix=+,
	    after={\blank[2*big]}]
\definefont [ChapterTitleTextFont][Serif at 24.9pt]
\definefont [ChapterTitleNumberFont][SerifBold at 40pt]
\def\ContentsHead#1#2%
   {\setupframed [frame=off]%
      \framed [width=\hsize,offset=overlay]
         {\placesidebyside
            {\doifmodeelse{*sectionnumber}
               {\framed [width=.6\hsize,offset=1em,strut=no,align=right,
    	                 background=screen]
                  {\vi In this chapter: \blank
                     \placelist [section][criterium=chapter]}}
               {\framed [width=.6\hsize]{}}} % dummy
            {\framed [width=.4\hsize,strut=no,align=left]
    		%% Typeset Chapter Number
 		{\hbox{\vbox to 24.9pt{% height ChapterTitleTextFont
 		       \vss
		       #1}}}
                \vfilll}
         }%
      %% Typeset Chapter Title
      \llap{\lower24.9pt\hbox{#2\hskip0.5em}}}

%% sectionblocks (headers and footers)
\setupheader [text]
             [style=\sc,
              before={\inframed[width=\makeupwidth,
                                frame=off,
                                bottomframe=on]\bgroup},
              after=\egroup]

\startsectionblockenvironment[frontpart]
\setupheadertexts
    [{\getmarking[chapter][first]}]
    [] % an optional second arg let you specify what specific mark you want
    [] % \getmarking[section][first last previous both all]
    [{\getmarking[chapter][first]}]
    \setuppagenumbering [conversion=romannumerals]
\stopsectionblockenvironment

\startsectionblockenvironment[bodypart]
\setupheadertexts
    [Chapter {\getmarking[chapternumber][first]}.
      {\getmarking[chapter][first]}]
    []
    []
    [{\getmarking[section][first]}]
    \setuppagenumber [number=1]
\stopsectionblockenvironment

\setuphead [section]
           [number=no,
	    style=\tfa]
\setuphead [subsection]
           [style=bold]
\setuphead [subsubsection]
           [style=italic]

%% paragraph layout
\setupwhitespace [medium]
\setupindenting [medium]

%% pretty printing
\definetype [typeXML] [option=XML,palet=graypretty,style=\ix]
\definetype [typeJV]  [option=JV,palet=graypretty,style=\ix]
\setuptyping [XML] [palet=graypretty,style=\ix]
\setuptyping [typing] [palet=graypretty, style=\ix]

%% urls
\setupurl [style=smalltype]

\definesymbol[MySep][--]
\defineenumeration
 [example]
 [location=serried,
  text=Example,
  before=\blank,
  after=\blank,
  way=bychapter,
  style=italic,
  separator={\symbol[MySep]}]

\setupcaptions
  [style=italic,
   separator={\symbol[MySep]},
   align=right]

% visual debuggers
% \showframe

% \version[temporary]

\stopenvironment

%%% Local Variables:
%%% mode:context
%%% End:

-------------------------

and a driver:

-------------------------

\environment EnvironmentISOLayout

\starttext
\startbodymatter

\chapter {test}

\section {test}

\dorecurse{10}{\input tufte }

\section {test}

\dorecurse{12}{\input tufte }

\chapter {test}

\section {test}

\dorecurse{10}{\input tufte }

\stopbodymatter
\stoptext

-------------------------

PS. Sorry for taking so long to reply, my computer was hit by
lightning and it's taken a while to reload my system from backups.

* Re: header/footer suppression
@ 2003-03-31  7:04       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-03-31  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

Hi,

[...]

> now we can define a new page break:
>
> \definepagebreak
>    [chapter]
>    [yes,header,right]

what is this header keyword?

> look how much cleaner this looks:
>
> \setuphead
>    [chapter]
>    [page=chapter,
>     header=empty,
>     footer=chapter]

this is pretty cool! Is it documented somewhere? (besides \def\...)

Patrick

* Re: header/footer suppression
@ 2003-03-29 14:39         ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-03-29 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guy Worthington <guyw@multiline.com.au> writes:

Hello,

> You've a good success rate -- first time you haven't read my mind.

perhaps I anticipated that the problem would give me a headache.

Your wish is beyond my ConTeXt knowlege. Ask me again in a year :)

One problem is that with \setuphead[chapter][page=yes] the chapter can
start on an even page. On that page the setup from
\definetext[chapter]... is taken. Then, with my previously suggested
hack, ConTeXt goes to the next page. There you have to setup your
header/footer manually, but reset it again on next page.

With [page=right] ConTeXt has no way(?) of knowing that it should leave
the even page blank.

I suggest that "we" add a new keyword to setuphead (no idea what to name
it, perhaps skippages=blank) and Hans does some miracle-coding in
\dohandelpaginaafB (or wherever).

And/or:  we could use a keyword in setupheader,setupfooter,...:
state=once. This way we could setup a headertext and don't have to
worry about it on next page.

Patrick

@ 2003-03-29 12:54         ` Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2003-03-29 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick, I'm posting my environment (on the offchance it might help
you read my mind).  It's still very rough.

-----

%% environment file EnvironmentISOLayout.tex
[...]

\setupbackgrounds [header][text] % header line spans just the text block
    [frame=on,topframe=off,leftframe=off,rightframe=off]

%% chapter head layout
\setuplist [section]
           [style=boldslanted,
	    align=right,
	    interaction=all,
	    symbol=1,
	    width=1em,
	    pagenumber=no,
	    before=,
	    after=]
		       #1}}}
                \vfilll}
         }%
[...]

% Bug in ConTeXt
[...]

You can run it with a fairly simple test file

-----

\environment EnvironmentISOLayout

\starttext
\startbodymatter

\chapter {test}

\section {test}

\dorecurse{10}{\input tufte }

\section {test}

\dorecurse{12}{\input tufte }

\chapter {test}

\section {test}

\dorecurse{10}{\input tufte }

\stopbodymatter
\stoptext

-----

If you compile this, you'll notice that on the very first page I have
a header, I don't want the header, I want a footer with the page number.

* Re: header/footer suppression
@ 2003-03-29 12:28       ` Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2003-03-29 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> Sorry, but I don't get what you are trying to achieve (it is too early
> for me, I guess).

You've a good success rate -- first time you haven't read my mind.

> One thing that is clear: You want to start chapters on an odd
> (right) page.

Yep.

> On this page, what should be in the header/footer?

The page number should be centered in the footer.  The header is
empty.

> On the page before that, if it is empty, what do you want there?

Nothing. A completely blank page.

> And how should the header and footer look like on a regular page?

The footer is empty.  The header contains the page number next to the
outside margin.

* Re: header/footer suppression
@ 2003-03-29  9:21     ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-03-29  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guy Worthington <guyw@multiline.com.au> writes:

Good morning,

> Thanks Patrick, the next specification is that I have a footer.

Sorry, but I don't get what you are trying to achieve (it is too early
for me, I guess). One thing that is clear: You want to start chapters
on an odd (right) page. On this page, what should be in the
header/footer? On the page before that, if it is empty, what do you
want there? And how should the header and footer look like on a
regular page?

[...]

> \setupheadertexts
>   [chapter]

this has no effect here (pagenumber is in the center of the
header). Try \setuppagenumbering[location=].

Patrick

* Re: header/footer suppression
@ 2003-03-29  8:47   ` Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2003-03-29  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Gundlach wrote:
> Guy Worthington wrote

>> How can I get both a blank page inserted whenever a chapter
>> finishes on an odd page, and also suppress my header on the first
>> page of a chapter.

> before={\ifodd\realpageno\else\page[empty]\noheaderandfooterlines\fi},

Thanks Patrick, the next specification is that I have a footer.

-----
% output=pdftex
\definetext[chapter][footer][pagenumber] % page on which chapters begin
\setuphead
  [chapter]
  [page=right,
   header=empty,
   footer=chapter,
%   before={\page\ifodd\realpageno\else\page[empty]\fi\page[right]},
]
\setupheadertexts
  [chapter]

\starttext
\chapter {test} \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte }
\chapter {test} \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte }
\chapter {test} \dorecurse{10}{\input tufte }
\stoptext

-----

>> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided,
>>                     option=doublesided]

> what is this option=...?

is used to produce an even number of pages, so if you count ever page
in the book then the number of recto and verso pages are exactly
equal.

* Re: header/footer suppression
@ 2003-03-28 12:54 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-03-28 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Guy Worthington <guyw@multiline.com.au> writes:

Hi Guy,

> I can't get both a blank page inserted whenever a chapter finishes on
> an odd page and also suppress my header on the first page of a
> chapter.

perhaps this hack will help you?

> % output=pdftex
> \starttext

\setuphead
  [chapter]
  [page=yes,before={\ifodd\realpageno\else\page[empty]\noheaderandfooterlines\fi},
   ]
> \setupheadertexts
>   [chapter]
> \setuppagenumbering[alternative=doublesided,
>                     option=doublesided]

what is this option=...?

[...]

Patrick

* header/footer suppression
@ 2003-03-28 11:58 Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2003-03-28 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can't get both a blank page inserted whenever a chapter finishes on
an odd page and also suppress my header on the first page of a
chapter.  Here's my minimal example:

-----

% output=pdftex
\starttext
\setuphead
  [chapter]
  [before={\page\ifodd\realpageno\else\page[empty]\fi\page[right]},
   header=empty]
\setupheadertexts
  [chapter]