* "Negative" font switches
@ 2001-01-26 19:31 Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-01-26 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, one more request: I would like to see some font switches that act by
"nullifying" other switches. An example would explain better:

{\bf Some bold {\nobf and some not bold} text}

should be equivalent to

{\bf Some bold} and some not bold {\bf text}

except that the latter would deactivate other possibly existant local
settings. I think this should not be too hard to implemnt ---or is it already
there, and I don't know how to make it work?

Thanks for your attention,

Giuseppe Bilotta

* Re: "Negative" font switches
@ 2001-01-26 22:01 ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2001-01-26 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

Giuseppe Bilotta <oblomov@freemail.it> writes:

> Hello, one more request: I would like to see some font switches that act by
> "nullifying" other switches. An example would explain better:
>
> {\bf Some bold {\nobf and some not bold} text}
>
> should be equivalent to
>
> {\bf Some bold} and some not bold {\bf text}

Could you give a concrete example of a situation where the "\nobf"
method is easier or clearer than the second method?

--
--Ed Cashin                    integrit file verification system
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu          http://integrit.sourceforge.net/

* Re: "Negative" font switches
@ 2001-01-26 22:17   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-01-26 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

> Giuseppe Bilotta <oblomov@freemail.it> writes:
>
> > Hello, one more request: I would like to see some font switches that act by
> > "nullifying" other switches. An example would explain better:
> >
> > {\bf Some bold {\nobf and some not bold} text}
> >
> > should be equivalent to
> >
> > {\bf Some bold} and some not bold {\bf text}
>
> Could you give a concrete example of a situation where the "\nobf"
> method is easier or clearer than the second method?

No. I see your point: it would always be possible to say

{\local setups {\bf Some bold} and some not bold {\bf more bold}}

Ok, maybe it's not needed after all. (Unless I can think of something in the
future ...)

Giuseppe Bilotta

* Re: "Negative" font switches
@ 2001-01-27 16:40     ` H. Ramm
From: H. Ramm @ 2001-01-27 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> No. I see your point: it would always be possible to say
>
> {\local setups {\bf Some bold} and some not bold {\bf more bold}}
>
> Ok, maybe it's not needed after all. (Unless I can think of something in the
> future ...)

Remember: If you use {\em an emphasis {\em within} an emphasis} you have
a switch like you wanted. If you normally want to emphasize with bold font
you should map it onto \em (--> logical markup!)

--
Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---

* Re: "Negative" font switches
@ 2001-01-27 17:18       ` Marc van Dongen
From: Marc van Dongen @ 2001-01-27 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

H. Ramm (angerweit@gmx.net) wrote:

[snip]

: Remember: If you use {\em an emphasis {\em within} an emphasis} you have

And if you decide to you use {\em emphasis with the {\em em\/} command\/}
then don't forget the italic correction.

[snip]

Regards,

Marc van Dongen

* Re: "Negative" font switches
@ 2001-01-28 18:34       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-28 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 05:40 PM 1/27/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>> No. I see your point: it would always be possible to say
>>
>> {\local setups {\bf Some bold} and some not bold {\bf more bold}}
>>
>> Ok, maybe it's not needed after all. (Unless I can think of something in
the
>> future ...)
>
>Remember: If you use {\em an emphasis {\em within} an emphasis} you have
>a switch like you wanted. If you normally want to emphasize with bold font
>you should map it onto \em (--> logical markup!)

Indeed.

% output=pdftex interface=en

\starttext

\def\notabene%
  {\groupedcommand
     {\ifnum\fam=\bffam \bs \else
      \ifnum\fam=\bsfam \tf \else
                        \bf \fi\fi}
     {}}

test {\notabene test {\notabene test {\notabene test} test} test}

\stoptext

Hans

                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: "Negative" font switches
@ 2001-01-28 18:35         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-28 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: fiee.visuelle, ConTeXt

At 05:18 PM 1/27/01 +0000, Marc van Dongen wrote:
>H. Ramm (angerweit@gmx.net) wrote:
>
>[snip]
>
>: Remember: If you use {\em an emphasis {\em within} an emphasis} you have
>
>And if you decide to you use {\em emphasis with the {\em em\/} command\/}
>then don't forget the italic correction.

Unless the basic \em macro is crippled it should handle that already! It
even takes care of punctuation.

@ 2001-01-28 18:37     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-28 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:17 PM 1/26/01 +0100, you wrote:
>> Giuseppe Bilotta <oblomov@freemail.it> writes:
>>
>> > Hello, one more request: I would like to see some font switches that
act by
>> > "nullifying" other switches. An example would explain better:
>> >
>> > {\bf Some bold {\nobf and some not bold} text}
>> >
>> > should be equivalent to
>> >
>> > {\bf Some bold} and some not bold {\bf text}
>>
>> Could you give a concrete example of a situation where the "\nobf"
>> method is easier or clearer than the second method?
>>

>No. I see your point: it would always be possible to say
>
>{\local setups {\bf Some bold} and some not bold {\bf more bold}}
>
>Ok, maybe it's not needed after all. (Unless I can think of something in the
>future ...)

there is always \tf to return to the normal font shape