* Tooltips suggestions
@ 2001-01-30 21:45 Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-01-30 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm now wasting my time on tooltips :-), I thing that I dreamt of for a long
time; and wosh! lots of ideas! Since I like complicated things, I thought of the
following possible spoilments ...er, enhancements... for the tooltips:

* tooltips with non-fixed height (this can be achieved by changing an \inframed
into \framed), so that they can hold mathematics too;

* [connected with the above] multi-line tooltips (\\ does nothing in a tooltip);
this should also imply allowing for multi-paragraph text, and
allowing the user to choose a fixed width for the tooltip; note that the
multiline tooltip can be obtained by passing as argument
{\vbox{\hbox{first line}\hbox{second line}}, but if \box\tooltipbox has been
defined that way, passing {\box\tooltipbox} fails (too many }'s); why is this?

* customizable tooltips (custom background, mostly, and allowing them to appear
also above (not below, as they are now) the text, etc);

* "fixable" tooltips: clicking on the active zone or on them would "fix" them,
clicking again would restore them to tooltip status;

* now the hardest one: foottips/toolnotes or whatever: footnotes that also act
as tooltips (the footnote still being available at the bottom of the page, but
the footnote number being an active); a not-at-all good approximation of this is
the following code:

\def\FootNote#1{\setbox0=\hbox{\postponefootnotes\footnote{#1}}
\tooltip[middle]{\box0}{#1}}

Actually all the above suggestions can be achieved handcrafting a few macros
based on the ConTeXt predefined ones, but I thought it would be nice to have
them prepackaged ...

Giuseppe Bilotta

Using Microsoft products is like
having sex without condoms---but
much less pleasurable

* Re: Tooltips suggestions
@ 2001-01-31  9:51 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-31  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 10:45 PM 1/30/01 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm now wasting my time on tooltips :-), I thing that I dreamt of for a long
>time; and wosh! lots of ideas! Since I like complicated things, I thought
of the
>following possible spoilments ...er, enhancements... for the tooltips:
>
>* tooltips with non-fixed height (this can be achieved by changing an
\inframed
>into \framed), so that they can hold mathematics too;
>
>* [connected with the above] multi-line tooltips (\\ does nothing in a
tooltip);
>this should also imply allowing for multi-paragraph text, and
>allowing the user to choose a fixed width for the tooltip; note that the
>multiline tooltip can be obtained by passing as argument
>{\vbox{\hbox{first line}\hbox{second line}}, but if \box\tooltipbox has been
>defined that way, passing {\box\tooltipbox} fails (too many }'s); why is
this?

>* customizable tooltips (custom background, mostly, and allowing them to
appear
>also above (not below, as they are now) the text, etc);
>
>* "fixable" tooltips: clicking on the active zone or on them would "fix"
them,
>clicking again would restore them to tooltip status;
>
>* now the hardest one: foottips/toolnotes or whatever: footnotes that also
act
>as tooltips (the footnote still being available at the bottom of the page,
but
>the footnote number being an active); a not-at-all good approximation of
this is
>the following code:
>
>\def\FootNote#1{\setbox0=\hbox{\postponefootnotes\footnote{#1}}
>\tooltip[middle]{\box0}{#1}}
>
>Actually all the above suggestions can be achieved handcrafting a few macros
>based on the ConTeXt predefined ones, but I thought it would be nice to have
>them prepackaged ...

Some of these are on my todo list [actually what i also want is auto stick
to the left/right handling which is doable].

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl