* someone working at a module for koma compatibility?
@ 2001-01-30 17:03 Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2001-01-30 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

while I think about modules:  Is there someone out there working on a
module that makes koma-scripts abilities available for context?  At least
the construction of the type area (Satzspiegel).

Uwe

--
mailto:koloska@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/

* Re: someone working at a module for koma compatibility?
@ 2001-01-31 13:41 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-01-31 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 06:03 PM 1/30/01 +0100, Uwe Koloska wrote:
>Hello,
>
>while I think about modules:  Is there someone out there working on a
>module that makes koma-scripts abilities available for context?  At least
>the construction of the type area (Satzspiegel).

What are koma-scripts ?

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: someone working at a module for koma compatibility?
@ 2001-01-31 23:21   ` Uwe Koloska
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2001-01-31 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

You wrote on Mittwoch, 31. Januar 2001 14:41:
>At 06:03 PM 1/30/01 +0100, Uwe Koloska wrote:
>
>What are koma-scripts ?

Koma-script is a LaTeX class family better suited for european eyes and
paper formats.  It's outstanding feature is the calculation of the typing
area with a algorithm suggested by Jan Tschichold.  But there are other
nice features that makes this classes superior to their LaTeX equivalents
that they are coming from.

As far as I understand ConTeXt (and their still is a long way to go) in
contrast to LaTeX:  It is a far better plain-TeX with many modern features
but lacks the ready to go document classes that was the main purpose for
LaTeX.  So in ConTeXt you are able to do a lot more things far more easyly
than with LaTeX but you have to do it yourself.  With LaTeX you can write
an article without thinking about layout -- and it looks good (but if you
want to tweak it a little bit ...)

So I thought about converting some of the LaTeX classes to context with
respect to the layout.  Because every now and then I suggested ConTeXt to
people searching for a better alternative to word (not that difficult ;-))

Uwe

--

@ 2001-02-01  8:05     ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]     ` <3.0.6.32.20010205101425.01c2ac70@server-1>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-02-01  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 12:21 AM 2/1/01 +0100, Uwe Koloska wrote:
>You wrote on Mittwoch, 31. Januar 2001 14:41:
>>At 06:03 PM 1/30/01 +0100, Uwe Koloska wrote:
>>
>>What are koma-scripts ?
>>

>Koma-script is a LaTeX class family better suited for european eyes and
>paper formats.  It's outstanding feature is the calculation of the typing
>area with a algorithm suggested by Jan Tschichold.  But there are other
>nice features that makes this classes superior to their LaTeX equivalents
>that they are coming from.
>
>As far as I understand ConTeXt (and their still is a long way to go) in
>contrast to LaTeX:  It is a far better plain-TeX with many modern features
>but lacks the ready to go document classes that was the main purpose for
>LaTeX.  So in ConTeXt you are able to do a lot more things far more easyly
>than with LaTeX but you have to do it yourself.  With LaTeX you can write
>an article without thinking about layout -- and it looks good (but if you
>want to tweak it a little bit ...)
>
>So I thought about converting some of the LaTeX classes to context with
>respect to the layout.  Because every now and then I suggested ConTeXt to
>people searching for a better alternative to word (not that difficult ;-))

I will provide some example styles in the process of some publishing on
demand experiments. For the rest: keep in mind that the average style is
simple:

\setuplayout[topspace=...,backspace=...,width=...,height=...]
\setuphead[chapter][....

Then some

\starttext

\startstandardmakeup .. title page stuff ... \stopstandardmakeup

the main text

\stoptext

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: koma compatibility?
@ 2001-02-04 20:59     ` Hraban
       [not found]     ` <3.0.6.32.20010205101425.01c2ac70@server-1>
From: Hraban @ 2001-02-04 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Uwe Koloska wrote:
> So I thought about converting some of the LaTeX classes to context with
> respect to the layout.  Because every now and then I suggested ConTeXt to
> people searching for a better alternative to word (not that difficult ;-))

As Hans said, layout changes/definition is that easy with ConTeXt,
that we don't really need such unflexible stuff like LaTeX classes.
You get the whole capabilities of the typearea package that is
KoMa based on with ConTeXt, and the settings are easier.

I agree, that some sample layouts would be nice, especially for
beginners.
I'd provide my book layout, but I think, it's that specialized
(and not really perfect), that nobody has a use of it.
Better are layout suggestions as you can read in every book on
that subject and even my "Formelsammlung für Drucktechniker":
http://www.planet-interkom.de/fiee.visuelle/formelsammlung/formelsammlung.html
(source not yet transferred from LaTeX to ConTeXt)

--
Grüßlis vom Hraban!

* layout rules (was: koma)
       [not found]     ` <3.0.6.32.20010205101425.01c2ac70@server-1>
@ 2001-02-05 16:46       ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2001-02-05 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> if you and Uwe cook up some basic styles, i can optimize them

There's an easy type area algorithm implemented in the typearea
package, on that relies the koma-script package. (KoMa is for
Markus Kohm, not alcoholism...)
It is recommended by Jan Tschichold and called "n-Teilung" or
"9-er-Teilung".
You divide page width and page height by a number n, that must
be greater than 5, for a good book layout n=9 is recommended.
The greater the number, the greater becomes the type area and
the smaller the margins.
You take 1/n of the width as the margin to the binding and 2/n
as the outer margin; 1/n of the height for the head and 2/n for
the foot margin -- that's all.

There are much more algorithms and geometric constructions for
"classical" tpe areas, but they all have no big differences.

We'll meet in Rosenheim.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!

* Re: layout rules (was: koma)
@ 2001-02-06 15:08         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-02-06 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 05:46 PM 2/5/01 +0100, Hraban wrote:
>Hans Hagen wrote:
>> if you and Uwe cook up some basic styles, i can optimize them
>
>There's an easy type area algorithm implemented in the typearea
>package, on that relies the koma-script package. (KoMa is for
>Markus Kohm, not alcoholism...)

i would write it from scratch anyway since i have a \definelayout macro on
my to do list [needed for mid document changes and asymmetrical layouts]
and maybe strategies fit in there

>It is recommended by Jan Tschichold and called "n-Teilung" or
>"9-er-Teilung".

Ah, i wonder what the opinion of some dutch typographers on that would be -)

>You divide page width and page height by a number n, that must
>be greater than 5, for a good book layout n=9 is recommended.
>The greater the number, the greater becomes the type area and
>the smaller the margins.
>You take 1/n of the width as the margin to the binding and 2/n
>as the outer margin; 1/n of the height for the head and 2/n for
>the foot margin -- that's all.

There are a couple of more measures: header, footer, typesetting width of
margin etc.

actually, all default measures are defined relative to the papersize, which
is why changing the papersize results in a change in layout specs.

>There are much more algorithms and geometric constructions for
>"classical" tpe areas, but they all have no big differences.
>

>We'll meet in Rosenheim.

Ok, take a photocopy from the Tschichold specs with you and we'll implement
in there.

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Rosenheim (was: layout rules)
@ 2001-02-07 20:55           ` Johannes Huesing
From: Johannes Huesing @ 2001-02-07 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hraban wrote:

> >We'll meet in Rosenheim.

Any chance for a ConTeXt user come together?

Johannes

--
Johannes Hüsing <hannes@ruhrau.de>   /"\  ASCII-Ribbon Campaign
                                     \ /  against HTML in

* Re: Rosenheim (was: layout rules)
@ 2001-02-08 10:03             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-02-08 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 09:55 PM 2/7/01 +0100, Johannes Huesing wrote:
>Hraban wrote:
>

>> >We'll meet in Rosenheim.
>>

>Any chance for a ConTeXt user come together?

Well, we can do that in parallel to latex tutorials. I'm sure that if you
want to arrange something, that luzia will assist you in finding a room.
Are more members of this list going to the dante meeting?