* Problems itemizing
@ 2001-02-09 16:18 Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-02-09 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, I have some problems in setting up itemizations properly,
especially when using the italian interface.

First, I had a few problems understanding that key=value pairs
had to go on a different [...] block. Ok, I overlooked it in
the setup instructions.

Then, indentnext=yes seems to do nothing.

Now, for the italian interface:

\impostaelenco (<-> \setupitemize) doesn't do anything
(the same keys, passed directly to \iniziaelenco [\startitemize]
achieve the wanted effects); \setupitemize used in the same
situation but with the english interface works; and \setopsommingin
works too, in all interfaces. Why?

And by the way, in debugging the develping interfaces (and not
just that) I belive that warning messages for unused options
could be helpfull (check for typos on the user sides or
errors in the code).

Giuseppe Bilotta

Using Microsoft products is like
having sex without condoms---but
much less pleasurable

* Re: Problems itemizing
@ 2001-02-11 20:14 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-02-11 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wrote:

> Then, indentnext=yes seems to do nothing.

Hm. Ok, here's more info. I use

\setupindenting[medium,next]

which means that after whitespace there should be no indenting.

I then use

\setupitemize[indentnext=yes]

and I though this would override the choice in \setupindenting,
but it doesn't. Is there a workaround?

In the meantime I found something else: in the snippet

We'll begin a par here, then:
\startitemize
\item we put;
\item some items;
\stopitemize
and then we end the previous par.

The last line is seen by context as being of another par, or
anyway it's indented when indentnext=yes and indenting=first;
while it's actually part of the previous paragraph. I believe
the correct behaviour should be *not* to indent the next
line if it's a continuation of the previous paragraph (that is,
if the user doesn't insert a blank line). Isn't it?

Overall, itemizing behaviour should change depending on it
being mid-paragraph or at end of paragraph; and there should be
a setting to change final whitespace/indentation depending on
the situation.

(e.g., in my case, when midparagraph, there should be
little whitespace, while when at end of paragraph there
should be more whitespace)

Giuseppe Bilotta

* Re: Problems itemizing
@ 2001-02-11 21:30 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-02-11 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 05:18 PM 2/9/01 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>Hello, I have some problems in setting up itemizations properly,
>especially when using the italian interface.
>
>First, I had a few problems understanding that key=value pairs
>had to go on a different [...] block. Ok, I overlooked it in
>the setup instructions.
>
>Then, indentnext=yes seems to do nothing.

that only works when you have indenting turned on.

>Now, for the italian interface:
>
>\impostaelenco (<-> \setupitemize) doesn't do anything
>(the same keys, passed directly to \iniziaelenco [\startitemize]
>achieve the wanted effects); \setupitemize used in the same
>situation but with the english interface works; and \setopsommingin
>works too, in all interfaces. Why?

hm, i have funny translations here, \impostaitemize and so, especially
commands should not give a problem; you can always check 'm with
\show\impostaelenco and see what is reported.

>And by the way, in debugging the develping interfaces (and not
>just that) I belive that warning messages for unused options
>could be helpfull (check for typos on the user sides or
>errors in the code).

This has been discussed before, and will be implemented some day when
machines are real fast; i kicked out that code long ago due to mem and
performance problems.

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Problems itemizing
@ 2001-02-12  7:48   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-02-12  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 09:14 PM 2/11/01 +0100, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>In the meantime I found something else: in the snippet
>
>We'll begin a par here, then:
>\startitemize
>\item we put;
>\item some items;
>\stopitemize
>and then we end the previous par.

Context is set up in such a way that the output is independent of such
'ascii makeup issues'. The way to deal with this is:

\input tufte

\startitemize
\item bla bla
\item bla bla
\stopitemize

\input tufte [with your indent settings this par will not indent]

\startitemize[packed,joinedup]
\item bla bla
\stopitemize

\input tufte [but this one will]