* [Q] how to use 8r-encoded fonts
@ 2001-02-13 13:45 Han The Thanh
From: Han The Thanh @ 2001-02-13 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

could anyone please tell me how to use a 8r-encoded font with context?

Thanks,
Thanh

* Re: [Q] how to use 8r-encoded fonts
@ 2001-02-13 17:05 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-02-13 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:45 PM 2/13/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>could anyone please tell me how to use a 8r-encoded font with context?

Isn't that ec? I always use texnansi, but taco fo rsure knows -)

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: [Q] how to use 8r-encoded fonts
@ 2001-02-13 22:23   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-02-13 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 02:45 PM 2/13/01 +0100, you wrote:
> >Dear all,
> >
> >could anyone please tell me how to use a 8r-encoded font with context?
>
> Isn't that ec? I always use texnansi, but taco fo rsure knows -)

It's not precisely ec, but it's the base behind ec. Ec encoded fonts
are virtual fonts, but it is not possible to reach an unencoded glyph
from a virtual font (and a lot of characters in a typical postscript
font are 'not used' in adobe encoding), so the PostScript font
needs to be re-encoded first so that all glyphs are in usable slots.

That's what 8r (r for raw) is: a re-encoded postscript font. It's a
very nasty encoding to work with because the accents are all in weird
places (for TeX), and there are usualy no ligatures nor kerning info
in the metric files.

Thanh, why do you need it and precisely what font is it?  If you just
need a 'simple' re-encoded font, it is probably better to re-encode
to TeXNAnsi (8y) which is both a better reencoding and directly
supported
by context.

Basic recipe for using weird encodings:

- write (or find) a file that maps all \uccode and \lccode and \accent
commands
to the right places (that's what the enco-ec and enco-il2 etc. files do)
Suppose you call this encoding 'raw'

- Write a font definition file that maps Symbolic font names to the
corres
ponding metrics (like font-ber.tex), like this:

\definefontsynonym [Serif] [ptmr8r]  [encoding=raw]

- Now at the end of this file, redefine the bodyfont commands to make
sure
that the mapping actually takes place:

\definebodyfont [14.4pt,12pt,11pt,10pt,9pt,8pt,7pt,6pt,5pt] [rm]
[default]

- That's it.

Basic recipe for using a weird font that you only need ascii or a
specific character from:

\definefont[myfont][ptmr8r sa 1]

Now you can just call  \myfont, as in plain TeX (bonus: the 'sa' stands
for 'scaled at'. Symbol fonts defined this way honour \switchtobodyfont
commands.

Greetings, Taco

* Re: [Q] how to use 8r-encoded fonts
@ 2001-02-14  9:56     ` Han The Thanh
From: Han The Thanh @ 2001-02-14  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi Taco,

> That's what 8r (r for raw) is: a re-encoded postscript font. It's a
> very nasty encoding to work with because the accents are all in weird
> places (for TeX), and there are usualy no ligatures nor kerning info
> in the metric files.

I think 8r-encoded fonts do contain ligatures and kerning info -- at least
that what I saw from the ones I have.

> Thanh, why do you need it and precisely what font is it?  If you just
> need a 'simple' re-encoded font, it is probably better to re-encode to
> TeXNAnsi (8y) which is both a better reencoding and directly supported by
> context.

yes it sounds great, probably I will try it. I wanted to use 8r so I can access
all glyphs from a `typical' PS font. I don't like ec too much, as it's
rather cubersome (requires virtual fonts).

@ 2001-02-14 12:45       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-02-14 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:56 AM 2/14/01 +0100, Han The Thanh wrote:
>Hi Taco,
>
>> That's what 8r (r for raw) is: a re-encoded postscript font. It's a
>> very nasty encoding to work with because the accents are all in weird
>> places (for TeX), and there are usualy no ligatures nor kerning info
>> in the metric files.
>
>I think 8r-encoded fonts do contain ligatures and kerning info -- at least
>that what I saw from the ones I have.
>
>> Thanh, why do you need it and precisely what font is it?  If you just
>> need a 'simple' re-encoded font, it is probably better to re-encode to
>> TeXNAnsi (8y) which is both a better reencoding and directly supported by
>> context.
>
>yes it sounds great, probably I will try it. I wanted to use 8r so I can
access
>all glyphs from a `typical' PS font. I don't like ec too much, as it's
>rather cubersome (requires virtual fonts).

If i'm right, you must have a series of yandy fonts (lbr) and in their docs
are some quite good readme's about fonts and encoding issues.