* launch texexec in a new terminal
@ 2001-02-20 20:01 Han The Thanh
From: Han The Thanh @ 2001-02-20 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

does anyone know how to launch texexec in a new xterm (or in background so
during running texexec I can still do further editing)?

Thanks,
Thanh

* Re: launch texexec in a new terminal
@ 2001-02-20 21:14 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2001-02-20 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt List

Han The Thanh wrote:

> does anyone know how to launch texexec in a new xterm (or in background so
> during running texexec I can still do further editing)?

Use emacs?? :-)

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: launch texexec in a new terminal
@ 2001-02-20 21:59 ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2001-02-20 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt List

Han The Thanh <thanh@informatics.muni.cz> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> does anyone know how to launch texexec in a new xterm (or in
> background so during running texexec I can still do further
> editing)?

The command below will run an xterm in the background; in the xterm
the shell will launch texexec and then launch "read", which waits for
you to hit enter so that the xterm doesn't immediately vanish:

    xterm -e sh -c 'texexec --help; read input' &

You could create a simple Bourne shell script as a wrapper:

    #! /bin/sh
    # x-texexec

    xterm -e sh -c "texexec $*; read input" &

... where "read input" makes the window stay open until you hit
enter.

--
--Ed Cashin                    integrit file verification system
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu          http://integrit.sourceforge.net/

* Re: launch texexec in a new terminal
@ 2001-02-21 11:40   ` Han The Thanh
From: Han The Thanh @ 2001-02-21 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: thanh, ntg-context

> > does anyone know how to launch texexec in a new xterm (or in background so
> > during running texexec I can still do further editing)?
>
> Use emacs?? :-)

I am a vim man. I was trying to switch to emacs several times, but always
had to give it up. Perhaps I am too familiar to vim already.

@ 2001-02-21 11:42   ` Han The Thanh
From: Han The Thanh @ 2001-02-21 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: thanh, ntg-context

> The command below will run an xterm in the background; in the xterm
> the shell will launch texexec and then launch "read", which waits for
> you to hit enter so that the xterm doesn't immediately vanish:
>
>     xterm -e sh -c 'texexec --help; read input' &
>
> You could create a simple Bourne shell script as a wrapper:
>
>     #! /bin/sh
>     # x-texexec
>
>     xterm -e sh -c "texexec $*; read input" &
>
> ... where "read input" makes the window stay open until you hit
> enter.

thanks, Ed. This is very helpful.

@ 2001-02-21 16:44     ` James Ramsey
From: James Ramsey @ 2001-02-21 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- Han The Thanh <thanh@informatics.muni.cz> wrote:
> > > does anyone know how to launch texexec in a new
> xterm (or in background so
> > > during running texexec I can still do further
> editing)?
> >
> > Use emacs?? :-)
>
> I am a vim man. I was trying to switch to emacs
> several times, but always
> had to give it up. Perhaps I am too familiar to vim
> already.

You refuse to accept Emacs as the One True Editor(TM)?
Infidel! :-)

Seriously, have you tried using gvim?

=====

----I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool.----

* ``Slightly'' off topic: [Was: Re: launch texexec in a new terminal]
@ 2001-02-21 17:13       ` Marc van Dongen
From: Marc van Dongen @ 2001-02-21 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

James Ramsey (jjramsey_6x9eq42@yahoo.com) wrote:

: --- Han The Thanh <thanh@informatics.muni.cz> wrote:
: > > > does anyone know how to launch texexec in a new
: > xterm (or in background so
: > > > during running texexec I can still do further
: > editing)?
: > >
: > > Use emacs?? :-)
: >
:
: You refuse to accept Emacs as the One True Editor(TM)?
: Infidel! :-)

What's wrong with vim. It's great!

I could not find the site which features the following joke
in graphical form. IIRC:
  Son: Daddy, daddy! Why are we always on the run.
  Dad: It's because we use emacs son and they vi(m).

Regards,

Marc

* Re: ``Slightly'' off topic: [Was: Re: launch texexec in a new terminal]
@ 2001-02-21 17:36         ` Han The Thanh
From: Han The Thanh @ 2001-02-21 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

> : > > Use emacs?? :-)
> : >
> : > I am a vim man. I was trying to switch to emacs
> : > several times, but always
> : > had to give it up. Perhaps I am too familiar to vim
> : > already.
> :
> : You refuse to accept Emacs as the One True Editor(TM)?
> : Infidel! :-)
>
> What's wrong with vim. It's great!
>
> I could not find the site which features the following joke
> in graphical form. IIRC:
>   Son: Daddy, daddy! Why are we always on the run.
>   Dad: It's because we use emacs son and they vi(m).

I think there is no *best* tool: editor, typesetting system, operating
system etc. Each has props and cons and someone finds some tool cool,
someone find other better.

Regards from a windows-running machine :)
Thanh

* Re: ``Slightly'' off topic: [Was: Re: launch texexec in a new terminal]
@ 2001-02-22  4:53         ` Johannes Huesing
From: Johannes Huesing @ 2001-02-22  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Marc van Dongen, James Ramsey

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/vi-emacs.html

--
"Human Genome" may be a binary file. See it anyway?

* Re: ``Slightly'' off topic: [Was: Re: launch texexec in a new terminal]
@ 2001-02-22  7:54           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-02-22  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt List

At 06:36 PM 2/21/01 +0100, Han The Thanh wrote:
>> : > > Use emacs?? :-)
>> : >
>> : > I am a vim man. I was trying to switch to emacs
>> : > several times, but always
>> : > had to give it up. Perhaps I am too familiar to vim
>> : > already.
>> :
>> : You refuse to accept Emacs as the One True Editor(TM)?
>> : Infidel! :-)
>>
>> What's wrong with vim. It's great!
>>
>> I could not find the site which features the following joke
>> in graphical form. IIRC:
>>   Son: Daddy, daddy! Why are we always on the run.
>>   Dad: It's because we use emacs son and they vi(m).
>
>I think there is no *best* tool: editor, typesetting system, operating
>system etc. Each has props and cons and someone finds some tool cool,
>someone find other better.

That's right. We use neither vim or emacs but soem good old editor i wrote
long ago and so far i get my best productivity rate with that one -)

But, in any case, texexec should work with all those editors, so if there
are specific thinsg needed ...

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: ``Slightly'' off topic: [Was: Re: launch texexec in a new terminal]
@ 2001-02-23 10:54           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-02-23 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, Marc van Dongen

At 05:53 AM 2/22/01 +0100, Johannes Huesing wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 05:13:07PM +0000, Marc van Dongen wrote:

>"Human Genome" may be a binary file. See it anyway?

Ok, but if you attach it to a mail, i would consider it to be a virus and
delete it -)