* problem with fmtutil
@ 2001-03-20 17:18 Olivier Houix
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Olivier Houix @ 2001-03-20 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
I try to install Context in a user directory but I've problems when I
want to activate
the Context formats:
%texexec --make en nl
TeXExec 2.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2001

fmtutil: could not expand variable $TEXMFMAIN.
! You have to increase POOLSIZE.
fmtutil: could not expand variable $TEXMFMAIN.
! You have to increase POOLSIZE.

            TeX binary : pdfetex
             format(s) : en nl

Somebody has tried to install Context in a user directory when you can't
be root?
Thanks
Olivier
--
Olivier Houix  <houix@ircam.fr>

* Re: problem with fmtutil
@ 2001-03-20 17:37 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2001-03-20 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: conTeXt

Olivier Houix wrote:

> I try to install Context in a user directory but I've problems when I
> want to activate
> the Context formats:
> %texexec --make en nl
> TeXExec 2.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2001
>
> fmtutil: could not expand variable $TEXMFMAIN.
> ! You have to increase POOLSIZE.
> fmtutil: could not expand variable $TEXMFMAIN.
> ! You have to increase POOLSIZE.
>
>             TeX binary : pdfetex
>              format(s) : en nl
>
> Somebody has tried to install Context in a user directory when you can't
> be root?

No, you have to take a look at texmf.cnf.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: problem with fmtutil
@ 2001-03-20 23:51 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-03-20 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: conTeXt

At 06:18 PM 3/20/01 +0100, Olivier Houix wrote:
>Hello,
>I try to install Context in a user directory but I've problems when I
>want to activate
>the Context formats:
>%texexec --make en nl
>TeXExec 2.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2001

You can try to run

texexec --make --alone en nl metafun

and move the efmt and mem files to a web2c path and run mktexlsr
afterwards. [if you set $texformats and $mpmems the nove wil be done for you]

Hans

                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* problem with fmtutil and fmtutil (bis)
@ 2001-03-21 11:28   ` Olivier Houix
From: Olivier Houix @ 2001-03-21 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
Thank you everyone, now it's working.
To summarize:
in my .cshrc I put:
setenv TEXMFCNF "/mydir/texmf/web2c/"
where we can find the texmf.cnf file.
I made some modification to increase some "pool-size" and "strings"
values.

I fix the problem with fmtutil.cnf:
I put WEB2C = mydir/texmf/web2c:$TEXMF/web2c in the texmf.cnf file
rather than
WEB2C = $TEXMF/web2c:mydir/texmf/web2c -> maybe I was sleepy !!!
and now I can use my /mydir/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf file to activate the
context formats.

I ran texexec --make --alone en nl metafun
and move the file "metafun.mem" in the directory
/mydirectory/texmf/web2c/
and ran mktexlsr.

Now I must fix a problem with fonts:

Warning: pdfetex (file texnansi.enc): cannot open encoding file for
reading
Warning: pdfetex (file lbd.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for
reading
Warning: pdfetex (file lbd.pfb): cannot read key `FontName' from font
file, use
d value from map file

So I am on a good way.

Thanks
Olivier Houix

Hans Hagen wrote:

> At 06:18 PM 3/20/01 +0100, Olivier Houix wrote:
> >Hello,
> >I try to install Context in a user directory but I've problems when I
> >want to activate
> >the Context formats:
> >%texexec --make en nl
> >TeXExec 2.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2001
>
> You can try to run
>
> texexec --make --alone en nl metafun
>
> and move the efmt and mem files to a web2c path and run mktexlsr
> afterwards. [if you set $texformats and $mpmems the nove wil be done for you]
>
> Hans

>                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl
>                       Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
>  tel: +31 (0)38 477 53 69 | fax: +31 (0)38 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.com
rh.>2

Olivier Houix  <houix@ircam.fr>

* Re: problem with fmtutil and fmtutil (bis)
@ 2001-03-21 14:25     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-03-21 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:28 PM 3/21/01 +0100, you wrote:

>Warning: pdfetex (file texnansi.enc): cannot open encoding file for
>reading
>Warning: pdfetex (file lbd.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for
>reading
>Warning: pdfetex (file lbd.pfb): cannot read key `FontName' from font
>file, use
>d value from map file

see cont-sys.rme

@ 2001-03-21 22:41 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2001-03-21 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

> %texexec --make en nl
> TeXExec 2.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2001
>
> fmtutil: could not expand variable $TEXMFMAIN.
> ! You have to increase POOLSIZE.
> fmtutil: could not expand variable $TEXMFMAIN.
> ! You have to increase POOLSIZE.
Hmm it seems as if the texmf.cnf file is older or TeX is older. I guess
your system uses UNIX and teTeX. If you use teTeX 0.4 you are more or
less out of luck (let the system update to teTeX 1.0.7 or even better to
the TeXLive version which contains a newer TEXMF tree).
It seems so as if you have a newer teTeX maybe a fast solution is to
uncomment the cont-* lines in fmtutil.cnf (I don't know how
fmtutil/texexec cooperate). Run as root fmtutil --edit or copy that file
(see below) any do it yourself.

> Somebody has tried to install Context in a user directory when you can't
> be root?

The following assumes UNIX, teTeX and a little cooperative
administrator:
The  /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf (or whereever the
central texmf.cnf file is)
should contain something like this:

HOMETEXMF = $HOME/texmf
TEXMF = {$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}

Then create the directories $HOME/texmf and $HOME/texmf/web2c
unzip cont-tmf.zip in $HOME/texmf
run texhash (alias mktexlsr)
run fmtutil --fmtdir $HOME/texmf/web2c
run texhash
(This assumes that the fmtutil.cnf file lists all needed files, else
copy this file, run texhash and fmtutil --edit.)

Well with the context/perltk files you have also to deal. I do:
$HOME/bin/* points to $HOME/texmf/context/perltk.pl
and I run chmod a+x ${HOMETEXMF}/context/perltk/*.pl
(My updateConTeXt script:

#!/bin/sh
HOMETEXMF=${HOME}/texmf
HYPHENFILE=`fmtutil --showhyphen cont-de`
echo
echo "Updating FMT files for ConTeXt"
echo "Using hyphenationfile: ${HYPHENFILE}"
echo
echo "Calling texhash (part I)"
texhash
echo
echo "Update change execution rights in: "${HOMETEXMF}/context/perltk
chmod a+x ${HOMETEXMF}/context/perltk/*.pl
echo
echo "Running fmtutil"
mkdir -p ${HOMETEXMF}/web2c
fmtutil --fmtdir ${HOMETEXMF}/web2c --byhyphen ${HYPHENFILE}
echo
echo "Calling texhash (part II)"
texhash
echo "done."

Tobias

PS: One methode which works always: Compile your one TeX. At my
university I know someone who did so in his home directory (160 MB), so
you shouldn't have a small HD or quota ...

* Re: problem with fmtutil
@ 2001-03-23 11:00   ` Olivier Houix
From: Olivier Houix @ 2001-03-23 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
Thanks Tobias Burnus for your advice.
Olivier Houix
Tobias Burnus wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > %texexec --make en nl
> > TeXExec 2.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2001
> >
> > fmtutil: could not expand variable $TEXMFMAIN.
> > ! You have to increase POOLSIZE.
> > fmtutil: could not expand variable $TEXMFMAIN.
> > ! You have to increase POOLSIZE.
> Hmm it seems as if the texmf.cnf file is older or TeX is older. I guess
> your system uses UNIX and teTeX. If you use teTeX 0.4 you are more or
> less out of luck (let the system update to teTeX 1.0.7 or even better to
> the TeXLive version which contains a newer TEXMF tree).
> It seems so as if you have a newer teTeX maybe a fast solution is to
> uncomment the cont-* lines in fmtutil.cnf (I don't know how
> fmtutil/texexec cooperate). Run as root fmtutil --edit or copy that file
> (see below) any do it yourself.
>
> > Somebody has tried to install Context in a user directory when you can't
> > be root?
>
> The following assumes UNIX, teTeX and a little cooperative
> administrator:
> The  /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf (or whereever the
> central texmf.cnf file is)
> should contain something like this:
>
> HOMETEXMF = $HOME/texmf
> TEXMF = {$HOMETEXMF,!!$TEXMFLOCAL,!!$TEXMFMAIN}
>
> Then create the directories $HOME/texmf and $HOME/texmf/web2c
> unzip cont-tmf.zip in $HOME/texmf
> run texhash (alias mktexlsr)
> run fmtutil --fmtdir $HOME/texmf/web2c
> run texhash
> (This assumes that the fmtutil.cnf file lists all needed files, else
> copy this file, run texhash and fmtutil --edit.)
>
> Well with the context/perltk files you have also to deal. I do:
> $HOME/bin/* points to $HOME/texmf/context/perltk.pl
> and I run chmod a+x ${HOMETEXMF}/context/perltk/*.pl
> (My updateConTeXt script:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> HOMETEXMF=${HOME}/texmf
> HYPHENFILE=`fmtutil --showhyphen cont-de`
> echo
> echo "Updating FMT files for ConTeXt"
> echo "Using hyphenationfile: ${HYPHENFILE}"
> echo
> echo "Calling texhash (part I)"
> texhash
> echo
> echo "Update change execution rights in: "${HOMETEXMF}/context/perltk
> chmod a+x ${HOMETEXMF}/context/perltk/*.pl
> echo
> echo "Running fmtutil"
> mkdir -p ${HOMETEXMF}/web2c
> fmtutil --fmtdir ${HOMETEXMF}/web2c --byhyphen ${HYPHENFILE}
> echo
> echo "Calling texhash (part II)"
> texhash
> echo "done."
>
> Tobias
>
> PS: One methode which works always: Compile your one TeX. At my
> university I know someone who did so in his home directory (160 MB), so
> you shouldn't have a small HD or quota ...

--
Olivier Houix  <houix@ircam.fr>             tel: 01 44 78 15 51
Equipe Perception et Cognition Musicales    http://www.ircam.fr/