* metafun configuration problem?
@ 2001-03-23 11:03 guravage
From: guravage @ 2001-03-23 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am having problems running the self same context file on two similar TeX
installations. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could offer any advice how
I can track down and resolve the discrepancy.

First, here's a simple test file that exemplifies the problem:

% interface=en output=pdftex
\starttext
\startMPpage
draw btex foo etex
\stopMPpage
\stoptext

System A has tex-live-5 installed, and the latest version of context replacing
that of the distribution. When I run `texexec life_cycle' the log shows just
what you'd expect:

systems        : begin file foo at line 2
\openout1 = `foo-mpgraph.mp'.

Randomizer initialized to 807553133.
system(texexec --batch --output=dvips --mpformat=metafun --mptex --nomp --once
foo-mpgraph)...executed.

 [MP to PDF foo-mpgraph.1] (./foo-mpgraph.1)
layout         : calculating backgrounds

System B has tex-live-5 installed, and the latest context installed in a
separate texmf tree. The log of the same command run on B gives the first
indication of a problem:

\openout1 = `foo-mpgraph.mp'.

Randomizer initialized to 794719257.
system(texexec --batch --output=dvips --mpformat=metafun --mptex --nomp --once
foo-mpgraph)...executed.

figures        : figure foo-mpgraph can not be found
layout         : calculating backgrounds

So I ran the batch command explicitly on system A and all appears fine:

 TeXExec 2.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2001

       metapost to tex : foo-mpgraph
            executable : pdfetex
                format : cont-en
             inputfile : tmpgraph
                output : dvips
             interface : en
               options : once batch nomp
          current mode : all

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14f-released-20000525-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.2x)
entering extended mode

              run time : 1 seconds
       dvi to metapost : foo-mpgraph
              metapost : foo-mpgraph
                format : metafun
This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.2x)

Running the same command on system B dies prematurely with the error, "sh:
mptotex  command not found."

TeXExec 2.5 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2001

       metapost to tex : foo-mpgraph
sh: mptotex: command not found
              metapost : foo-mpgraph
                format : metafun
This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.2x)

The generated foo-mpgraph.mp files from both systems are identical with the
exception of the ramdomseed assignment on line 3. Running metapost directly
with the foo-mpgraph.mp on system A yields:

mpost foo-mpgraph.mp
This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.2x)
(foo-mpgraph.mp
(/shared/home/nlr/isens/share/TeXLive5d/texmf/metapost/context/mp-tool.mp)
(/shared/home/nlr/isens/share/TeXLive5d/texmf/metapost/context/mp-spec.mp)
(/shared/home/nlr/isens/share/TeXLive5d/texmf/metapost/context/mp-grph.mp)
(/shared/home/nlr/isens/share/TeXLive5d/texmf/metapost/context/mp-page.mp)
(/shared/home/nlr/isens/share/TeXLive5d/texmf/metapost/context/mp-core.mp)
[1] )
1 output file written: foo-mpgraph.1
Transcript written on foo-mpgraph.log.

Running the same command on system B yields:

mpost foo-mpgraph.mp
This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.2x)
(foo-mpgraph.mp
(/home/michael/texmf/metapost/context/mp-tool.mp)
(/home/michael/texmf/metapost/context/mp-spec.mp)
(/home/michael/texmf/metapost/context/mp-grph.mp)
(/home/michael/texmf/metapost/context/mp-page.mp)
(/home/michael/texmf/metapost/context/mp-core.mp)/opt/TeX/bin/i386-linux/makemp
x: Command failed: tex mpxerr.tex; see mpxerr.log

>> foo-mpgraph.mp
>> foo-mpgraph.mpx
! Unable to make mpx file.
l.83 draw btex
               foo etex
Transcript written on foo-mpgraph.log.

The contents of mpxerr.tex are:

\global \loadfontdefinitionfileoncetrue%
\shipout\hbox{\smash{\hbox{\hbox{% line 83 foo-mpgraph.mp
foo}\vrule width1sp}}}
\end{document}

And the contents of mpxerr.log are:

This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.2x) (format=tex 2000.9.5)  23 MAR 2001
11:55
**mpx3730.tex
(./mpx3730.tex
! Undefined control sequence.
l.1 \global \loadfontdefinitionfileoncetrue
                                           %
The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

! You can't use a prefix with `\shipout'.
<to be read again>
                   \shipout
l.2 \shipout
            \hbox{\smash{\hbox{\hbox{% line 83 foo-mpgraph.mp
I'll pretend you didn't say \long or \outer or \global.

[1] )
Output written on mpx3730.dvi (1 page, 196 bytes).

I've compared the texmf.cnf and cont-sys.tex files from both systems, but I
don't any significant differences.

Both systems use the self same TeX and the latest context distributions -
except that system B has a later version of pdftex, and system B has context
and pdftex in a separate texmf tree.

As I said, I would appreciate any suggestions how I might track down and
resolve this discrepancy.

Cheers,

Michael

--
Michael A. Guravage            Email: guravage@nlr.nl
National Aerospace Laboratory  Phone: +31 (0)20 511 3695

* Re: metafun configuration problem?
@ 2001-03-23 11:33 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-03-23 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:03 PM 3/23/01 +0100, guravage@nlr.nl wrote:
>I am having problems running the self same context file on two similar TeX
>installations. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could offer any advice
how
>I can track down and resolve the discrepancy.

This problem sounds like one reported earlier. In texexec.rme (ini) you can
find:

set  MpExecutable       to  mpost
set  MpToTeXExecutable  to  mpto
set  DviToMpExecutable  to  dvitomp

and in the tetex/fptex

                        to mptotex

you can try to change the tetex one into "mpto". I will change the defaults
to what is reported 'standard'.

The problem is that depending on what tex one uses there can be "mpto
mptotex mp mpost dvitomp dvitompx" and whatever one can think of. I think
that we should sort out once and forever those names.

miktex : ...
linux  : ...
windows: ...
mac    : ...

this is really the fuziest part of mp and i will probably replace the
'official tool' mpto(tex) by a perl script anyway, but we need to support
the official way too -)

Hans

                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: metafun configuration problem?
@ 2001-03-23 11:35 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-03-23 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:03 PM 3/23/01 +0100, guravage@nlr.nl wrote:

>l.1 \global \loadfontdefinitionfileoncetrue

texexec --mptex yourfancyfile.mp

will solve that, since it's context code

@ 2001-03-23 15:32 guravage
From: guravage @ 2001-03-23 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

After I'd posted my recent question about mptotex, I decided my problem had
nothing to do with either my context or web2c configurations. The next likely
suspect was texexec, and sure enough, I found my problem in my texexec.ini
file.

Though the general defaults early in the texexec.ini file sets
MpToTeXExecutable to mpto, since TeXShell is set to tetex by default, the
tetex value for MpToTeXExecutable is mptotex. I simply commented out the `for
tetex  set  MpToTeXExecutable to  mptotex' line, which leaves
MpToTeXExecutable set to mpto. And It works!

Sorry for the verbosity of my previous post.

Cheers,

Michael