* a new tool
@ 2001-03-27  9:31 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-03-27  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I uploaded a new beta which has a couple of new features. One is
'overlays', which is build on top of the noemal layering mechsnism. This
mechanism permits the placement of anything anywhere (also on specific
pages), if needed relative or absolute to the current position, at any
layer or in any background you want. This means that (when i get the specs
sorted out) one can have transpancy and so, but more important is that one
can move data below or on top of running texts; there are quite some
alignment options, and i think that dtp lovers will like it. This feature
will be documented in next version of the metafun manual (draft is ready).

The other tool concerns figure bases. Imagine that you have a file like:

<figurelibrary language="nl">

  <description>
    <organization>PRAGMA Advanced Document Engineering</organization>
    <project>Manuals</project>
    <product>Beginners Manual</product>
    <comment>A bunch of figures.</comment>
  </description>

  <figure>
    <file>koe.pdf</file>
    <label>a dutch cow</label>
    <copyright>Corel Draw Suite</copyright>
    <comment>Did you ever see such a nice cow?</comment>
  </figure>

  <figure>
    <file>koe.pdf</file>
    <label>another dutch cow</label>
    <copyright>Corel Draw Suite</copyright>
    <comment>Do you recognize this cow?</comment>
  </figure>

  <figure>
    <file>koe.pdf</file>
    <label>indeed a dutch cow</label>
    <copyright>Corel Draw Suite</copyright>
    <comment>I bet that you've seen enough cows now.</comment>
  </figure>

</figurelibrary>

You can generate such a file from for instance a database or key it in by
hand.

Given that you have the figures as files, you can now say:

  texexec --pdf --use=fig-01 yourfile.xml

and you will get a file with the following characteristics (copied from
source)

%D \startopsomming[opelkaar]
%D \som  the document is split into three sections: first each
%D       figure is shown at its own page, then an overview of
%D       figures is shown with some data alongside, and
%D       finaly an index and table of contents shows up
%D \som  there is no title page, which means that one can
%D       access a figure by page number without offset
%D \som  the document is opened at the first overview page,
%D       that is, when the viewer supports it
%D \som  the graphic is shown 3~times: on a page of its own,
%D       scaled to a fixed dimension, and relative to a4 or
%D       letter paper size
%D \som  the labels can be accessed in an index and list at
%D       the end of the document
%D \stopopsomming

If you have said

  \usemodule [fig-01] % will get a proper synonym later

The idea is that you can now say

  \externalfigure[a dutch cow][width=4cm]

and the filename will be fetched from the database and the figure loaded
from the associated pdf file. The fall back is of course the traditional
method.

The advantage of this method is that instead of all kind of figure files,
one has just one file [we will use that method for manual translators too].
Another advantage is that embedding from a pdf file [page n method] is much
faster than loading a file directky.

I'm willing to extend the functionality and add database entries. This is
the first of a series of small tricks to ease contexting.

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: a new tool
@ 2001-03-27 11:26 ` S2P development
From: S2P development @ 2001-03-27 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> The other tool concerns figure bases. Imagine that you have a file like:
>
> <figurelibrary language="nl">

For those people that are interested: here is a trivial DTD that
matches Hans' example:

<!-- typical invocation:
  -  <!DOCTYPE figurelibrary SYSTEM "figurelibrary.dtd">
  -->

<!ELEMENT figurelibrary (description?,figure*)>

<!ATTLIST figurelibrary
          language CDATA #IMPLIED>

<!ELEMENT description   (organization?,project?,product?,comment?)>
<!ELEMENT organization  (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT project       (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT product       (#PCDATA)>

<!ELEMENT figure        (file,label,copyright?,status?,comment?)>
<!ELEMENT file          (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT label         (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT copyright     (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT status        (#PCDATA)>

<!ELEMENT comment       (#PCDATA)>

* Re: a new tool
@ 2001-03-27 12:24   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-03-27 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 01:26 PM 3/27/01 +0200, S2P development wrote:

><!-- typical invocation:
>  -  <!DOCTYPE figurelibrary SYSTEM "figurelibrary.dtd">

great, thanks, i added it as x-fig-00.dtd to the zip

@ 2001-03-30  9:42 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-03-30  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Tuesday, March 27, 2001 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> Hi,

HH> I uploaded a new beta which has a couple of new features. One is
HH> 'overlays', which is build on top of the noemal layering mechsnism. This
HH> mechanism permits the placement of anything anywhere (also on specific
HH> pages), if needed relative or absolute to the current position, at any
HH> layer or in any background you want. This means that (when i get the specs
HH> sorted out) one can have transpancy and so, but more important is that one
HH> can move data below or on top of running texts; there are quite some
HH> alignment options, and i think that dtp lovers will like it. This feature
HH> will be documented in next version of the metafun manual (draft is ready).

I gave a look at the draft, and I have two questions:

1) When placing overlays in specific points of specific pages, is it
possible to have the text flow automagically around them, even in odd
situations? Situations like:

+-----------------------------------+
|.................|.................|
|.................|.................|
|.................|.................|
|.........+---------------+.........|
|.........|               |.........|
|.........|               |.........|
|.........|               |.........|
|.........+---------------+.........|
|.................|.................|
|.................|.................|
|.................|.................|
|.................|.................|
|.................|.................|
+-----------------------------------+

(two column document, with picture or other object in the middle of
the page and text flowing around pictue).

2) Is the new OTR implemented, or is the new feature a feature of the
old OTR?

Giuseppe

* Re: a new tool
@ 2001-03-30 11:02   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-03-30 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:42 AM 3/30/01 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>1) When placing overlays in specific points of specific pages, is it
>possible to have the text flow automagically around them, even in odd
>situations? Situations like:
>
>+-----------------------------------+
>|.................|.................|
>|.................|.................|
>|.................|.................|
>|.........+---------------+.........|
>|.........|               |.........|
>|.........|               |.........|
>|.........|               |.........|
>|.........+---------------+.........|
>|.................|.................|
>|.................|.................|
>|.................|.................|
>|.................|.................|
>|.................|.................|
>+-----------------------------------+
>
>(two column document, with picture or other object in the middle of
>the page and text flowing around pictue).
>
>2) Is the new OTR implemented, or is the new feature a feature of the
>old OTR?

Although implemented in a page-* module, it is independent and just written
on top of the background handler (and only midly otr related).

The text around anything feature will become part of the new otr since the
forground has to know about it.

before i will releas the new otr routines, i will release the type-*
modules which will permit (1) more easy fotnt defs based on typescripts and
(2) mixed usage of complex font collections and a couple of more things.
All in time -)

@ 2001-04-02  8:27     ` Dan Seracu
From: Dan Seracu @ 2001-04-02  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG ConTeXt

Hello!
I have tried the \getshaped, \startshapetext and the Metapost and I think it
is working great. I think I can use this stuff to arrange some "frames" with
text, like a DTP program :). I have the same question like Giuseppe: there
will be something like a text runaround shapes? Of course, I can arrange the
textshapes manually but...
Dan Seracu

* RE: a new tool
@ 2001-04-02 21:48       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-04-02 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG ConTeXt

At 11:27 AM 4/2/01 +0300, Dan Seracu wrote:

>Hello!
>I have tried the \getshaped, \startshapetext and the Metapost and I think it
>is working great. I think I can use this stuff to arrange some "frames" with
>text, like a DTP program :). I have the same question like Giuseppe: there
>will be something like a text runaround shapes? Of course, I can arrange the
>textshapes manually but...

You guys really want to stretch tex to the max -) We'll see, i don't say no
on forehand,