* Placing figures and layers?
@ 2001-04-18 14:42 AlterEgo Qasars
From: AlterEgo Qasars @ 2001-04-18 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear friends.

Encouraged with the fact that my new nick name works
and I've got some answers, I try other two questions.
Probably directly to Mr. Hagen?

1) You showed me that your new beta is able to put
floats anywhere on the page. I'm extremely looking
forward to this very feature. Can you hint me how
to use it?

2) There was some speech about layers. I played with
them a little, but I wasn't able to guess neither
how to use it, nor for what purpose is it suited.
Can you make it clear to me? (BTW, what's the proper
English equivalent of the last sentence? :-)

Many greetings from the beatuful town of Brno.

Michal Kvasnicka

* Re: Placing figures and layers?
@ 2001-04-20 20:35 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-04-20 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 04:42 PM 4/18/01 +0200, AlterEgo Qasars wrote:
>Dear friends.
>
>Encouraged with the fact that my new nick name works
>and I've got some answers, I try other two questions.
>Probably directly to Mr. Hagen?
>
>1) You showed me that your new beta is able to put
>floats anywhere on the page. I'm extremely looking
>forward to this very feature. Can you hint me how
>to use it?

not yet, first i move new font code into the core [currently taco does some
testing as well as adapts the math module to it], then i will start with
incorporating the new otr macros

>2) There was some speech about layers. I played with
>them a little, but I wasn't able to guess neither
>how to use it, nor for what purpose is it suited.
>Can you make it clear to me? (BTW, what's the proper
>English equivalent of the last sentence? :-)

There are several applications:

(1) mimmicking dtp, that is, position texts and graphics op fixed places on
the page
(2) move text/graphics from foreground to another layer, i.e. behind/before
text
(3) doing metafun position related things automatically (since a layer can
have its own reference point)

in practice it's just a shell around overlays [backgrounds]; we used it for
building spread based titlepages with multiple graphics, backgrounds,
title, toc and texts in a more convenient way.

I will explain this in a next release of the metafun manual

>Many greetings from the beatuful town of Brno.

Isn't it a city then?

Hans

                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl