* documentation of presentation modules?
@ 2001-05-11 13:59 Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-05-11 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi there,

1) is there any documentation about the presentation styles?

2) what use is the %D stuff in all the modules? Is there any way
to get the documentation out of these modules?

3) (new beta) using it without extended mode (etex) did not seem
to work because of some \ifcsname uses. don't ask me where, I
have to look it up again.

4) how do I use the hz-like stretching/shrinking with the 'new' font
mechanism?

5) why are there so many encodings around :-> ?

Viele Gruesse,

  Patrick Gundlach

* Re: documentation of presentation modules?
@ 2001-05-11 16:01 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-05-11 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:59 PM 5/11/01 +0200, Patrick Gundlach wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>1) is there any documentation about the presentation styles?

in the styles and there is also a doc at our site [if i'm right]

>2) what use is the %D stuff in all the modules? Is there any way
>to get the documentation out of these modules?

texexec --modu --pdf somefile

will give you an annotated source [some modules have quite detailed
examples].

>3) (new beta) using it without extended mode (etex) did not seem
>to work because of some \ifcsname uses. don't ask me where, I
>have to look it up again.

i already repaired that but cannot upload a new beta because i'm in the
middle of merging new otr code into the core [and splitting main-*.tex
files in the process. This means that the next release will be a major
update: additional encoding support, a whole new font layer [which permits
quick mixing of any combinations of typefaces plus more] and a new
(additional) column mechanism to start with. As a bonus that versions runs
upto 40% faster on complicated documents [with backgrounds, menus and
alike] and i expect much more speed gain when i clean up the still messy
old modules [all relatively new stuff is optimized to the max already]. Ah,
and there will also be more math support (among which mixed math char
sets).

>4) how do I use the hz-like stretching/shrinking with the 'new' font
>mechanism?

not yet there, but will come

>5) why are there so many encodings around :-> ?

because we love accents and funny characters, but for most people texnansi
or ec will do.

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: documentation of presentation modules?
@ 2001-05-11 18:46   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2001-05-11 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii", Size: 732 bytes --]

Hallo Hans (and others)

> >2) what use is the %D stuff in all the modules? Is there any way
> >to get the documentation out of these modules?
>
> texexec --modu --pdf somefile

Great! I had something exactly like this in mind.

> i already repaired that but cannot upload a new beta because i'm in the
> middle of merging new otr code into the core [and splitting main-*.tex
> files in the process. This means that the next release will be a major
> update: additional encoding support, a whole new font layer [which

Oh no! not more encodings :-)

> >4) how do I use the hz-like stretching/shrinking with the 'new' font
> >mechanism?
>
> not yet there, but will come

looking forward :-)

--
Viele Grüße,

@ 2001-05-13 11:41     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-05-13 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:46 PM 5/11/01 +0200, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

>> i already repaired that but cannot upload a new beta because i'm in the
>> middle of merging new otr code into the core [and splitting main-*.tex
>> files in the process. This means that the next release will be a major
>> update: additional encoding support, a whole new font layer [which
>
>Oh no! not more encodings :-)

actually not, just some cleanup and named glyphs, so that when you're a
desparate german, you can say:

\eumlaut

and what you ask is what you get.

Actually, there is default, texnansi, ec, il2, [il1 coming], pl0 (polish)
and vietnamese + quite some chinese things

Of course there are also input filters -)