* a better pdf clock
@ 2001-05-21 10:05 Hans Hagen
       [not found] ` <200105222124.f4MLOOo11557@smtp25.wxs.nl>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-05-21 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I found out that this one runs well on acrobat 4 (exchange), works but with
messages on acrobat reader 4 CE, and works ok on acrobat reader 5 [i have
no acrobat exchange 5 here]. I wonder if this file works ok on acrobat 4
for linux. Since max os x has a pdf screen driver, it should be possible to
write gadgets like this as os extensions.

Hans

[-- Attachment #2: pdftest.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 10851 bytes --]

                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: a better pdf clock
@ 2001-05-22 21:24 ` Xander Schrijen
       [not found] ` <200105222124.f4MLOOo11557@smtp25.wxs.nl>
From: Xander Schrijen @ 2001-05-22 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

On Monday, May 21, 2001, at 12:05  PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found out that this one runs well on acrobat 4 (exchange),
> works but with
> messages on acrobat reader 4 CE, and works ok on acrobat reader
> 5 [i have
> no acrobat exchange 5 here]. I wonder if this file works ok on
> acrobat 4
> for linux.

Very nice!  It works in Acrobat Reader 5.0 for Mac OS X, but not
in the standard Preview application.

 > Since max os x has a pdf screen driver, it should be possible to
 > write gadgets like this as os extensions.

Actually, I don't think OS X has built-in PDF rendering as per
the PDF specs.  Rather, its native imaging model very closely
resembles that of PDF, and there are system APIs to read/write
content to PDF.  But rendering embedded fonts, for instance,
didn't work in the beta, and I guess javascript doesn't work in
the current version.

Xander.

* Re: a better pdf clock
       [not found] ` <200105222124.f4MLOOo11557@smtp25.wxs.nl>
@ 2001-05-23  7:16   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-05-23  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:24 PM 5/22/01 +0200, Xander Schrijen wrote:

>Actually, I don't think OS X has built-in PDF rendering as per
>the PDF specs.  Rather, its native imaging model very closely
>resembles that of PDF, and there are system APIs to read/write
>content to PDF.  But rendering embedded fonts, for instance,
>didn't work in the beta, and I guess javascript doesn't work in
>the current version.

Adam Twardoch told me that the font stuff in OS X is kind of hackery and
will be replaced in a next relesase, so maybe the subset problem is related
to that.

Maybe the pdf they use is also pdf/x conforming.

Hans

@ 2001-05-21 14:06   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-05-21 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:36 PM 5/21/01 +0200, Joop Susan wrote:

>It works for me Hans!
>
>Acrobat 4.0 on Linux...
>
>The redraw of the clockface gives a very visible flash, but otherwise it
works.

>Would it be possible to only redraw the hands and the dot that is partly
obscured by the big hand? Might look smoother and get rid of the flash...

the texnique applied is as follows (I will document it and post it later):

(1) put clock in page background
(2) stack 20 small and large arrows as fieldstack
(3) attach javascript to page button

so, there is only arrows to refresh, but the whole bbox of the field is
redrawn.

It helps a lot if the magnification is a round number 100 200 etc

Hans

@ 2001-05-21 13:36 ` Joop Susan
From: Joop Susan @ 2001-05-21 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> Hi,
>
> I found out that this one runs well on acrobat 4 (exchange), works but with
> messages on acrobat reader 4 CE, and works ok on acrobat reader 5 [i have
> no acrobat exchange 5 here]. I wonder if this file works ok on acrobat 4
> for linux. Since max os x has a pdf screen driver, it should be possible to
> write gadgets like this as os extensions.
>
> Hans

It works for me Hans!

Acrobat 4.0 on Linux...

The redraw of the clockface gives a very visible flash, but otherwise it works.

Would it be possible to only redraw the hands and the dot that is partly obscured by the big hand? Might look smoother and get rid of the flash...

Nice demo!

Joop