* Environments and shortcuts
@ 2001-06-02 12:45 Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-06-02 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I know I should not be using shortcuts (they are not "official"),
but they're so usefull ... ok, here's the problem.

If I define a shortcut in an environment file, like

\startenvironment novel

\defineshortcut[color=red]

\stopenvironment

and the use \environment novel, the shortcut definition does not
work (all other definitions do, though). What might the problem
be?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: Environments and shortcuts
@ 2001-06-04 10:14 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-06-04 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:45 PM 6/2/01 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I know I should not be using shortcuts (they are not "official"),
>but they're so usefull ... ok, here's the problem.
>
>If I define a shortcut in an environment file, like
>
>\startenvironment novel
>
>\defineshortcut[color=red]
>
>\stopenvironment
>
>and the use \environment novel, the shortcut definition does not
>work (all other definitions do, though). What might the problem
>be?

since < > are used in macros (\ifnum etc) they are pushed popped when
it's old meaning. So, you need to add

\catcode`\<=\active

to the main file (\def\enableshortcuts{\catcode...} \enableshortcuts)

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re[2]: Environments and shortcuts
@ 2001-06-05 10:34   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2001-06-05 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Monday, June 04, 2001 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> At 02:45 PM 6/2/01 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I know I should not be using shortcuts (they are not "official"),
>>but they're so usefull ... ok, here's the problem.
>>
>>If I define a shortcut in an environment file, like
>>
>>\startenvironment novel
>>
>>\defineshortcut[color=red]
>>
>>\stopenvironment
>>
>>and the use \environment novel, the shortcut definition does not
>>work (all other definitions do, though). What might the problem
>>be?

HH> since < > are used in macros (\ifnum etc) they are pushed popped when
HH> it's old meaning. So, you need to add

HH> \catcode`\<=\active

HH> to the main file (\def\enableshortcuts{\catcode...} \enableshortcuts)

Works like a chamr, thank you.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta