* nested synonyms
@ 2001-07-10 11:57 Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-07-10 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have noticed that synonyms which are used only in the expansion of other
synonyms will not be included in the list of synonyms if they themselves
are used in the list of synonyms only. I don't really understand this
sentence myself, so here is an example:

\abbreviation{CNS}{Crystallography \& \NMR\ System}
\abbreviation{NMR}{Nuclear Magnetic Resonance}
\starttext
	\CNS\ is an abbreviation % for \infull{CNS}
	\completelistofabbreviations
\stoptext

The list of abbreviations will only have one item (CNS). Removing the '%'
character results in both items being listed.

Not surprisingly, I noticed this in two similar situations: with defined
synonyms of another kind calling abbreviations not used elsewhere in the
text, and with abbreviations used in the list of publications only (with
m-bib).

Do I have to take care of this manually? If so, and if I don't want
\setupsynonyms[abbreviation][criterium=all],
then
{\setbox0=\hbox{\NMR}}
is an acceptable solution: no output in the dvi file, but context fooled to
consider the abbreviation used in my text...?

Eckhart

* Re: nested synonyms
@ 2001-07-10 14:33 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-07-10 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 01:57 PM 7/10/01 +0200, Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:
>I have noticed that synonyms which are used only in the expansion of other
>synonyms will not be included in the list of synonyms if they themselves
>are used in the list of synonyms only. I don't really understand this
>sentence myself, so here is an example:
>
>\abbreviation{CNS}{Crystallography \& \NMR\ System}
>\abbreviation{NMR}{Nuclear Magnetic Resonance}
>\starttext
>	\CNS\ is an abbreviation % for \infull{CNS}
>	\completelistofabbreviations
>\stoptext
>
>The list of abbreviations will only have one item (CNS). Removing the '%'
>character results in both items being listed.
>
>Not surprisingly, I noticed this in two similar situations: with defined
>synonyms of another kind calling abbreviations not used elsewhere in the
>text, and with abbreviations used in the list of publications only (with
>m-bib).
>
>Do I have to take care of this manually? If so, and if I don't want
>\setupsynonyms[abbreviation][criterium=all],
>then
>{\setbox0=\hbox{\NMR}}
>is an acceptable solution: no output in the dvi file, but context fooled to
>consider the abbreviation used in my text...?

thst's actually wy there is the obscure command \usecommands{\NMR}
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl