* m-bib problems
@ 2001-07-08 21:25 Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-07-08 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have some minor problems with the bibliography module.

1. A space after \cite[...] disappears in the output.

2. My document is split up in products. The bbl file generated by bibtex is
not read in automatically, whereas it is read in automatically for a test
document which is not split up. I can \input the bbl file, of course, but
it should be loaded implicitly, I think.

3. I do not get an entry in the table of contents for the reference list.
Intentionally?

4. \setupbibtex ignores sort=author and writes \bibstyle{cont-no} to the
aux file. sort=title and sort=short work.

5. When I say \cite[Meier01,Meier01a], expecting the result (Meier et al.,
2001, Meier et al., 2001a), I only get
the second reference: (Meier et al., 2001a). If I take care of different
article names by editing a={MeierA et~al.} in the bbl file, I get them both
with the same \cite command.

Eckhart

* Re: m-bib problems
@ 2001-07-10  7:46   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-07-10  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:35 AM 7/10/01 +0000, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>> 1. A space after \cite[...] disappears in the output.
>

>Strange. This keeps popping up and I can't find a reason in the source.
>Try \cite[authoryears][...] please to see if this makes the proble go away.

aha, but that's due to grabbing the optional second argument, so maybe you
should add another level of indirectness; also, i can see if we can
optionally obey those spaces.

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: m-bib problems
@ 2001-07-10  8:16   ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-07-10  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 09:35 10.07.2001 +0000, you wrote:
>>I have some minor problems with the bibliography module.
>>1. A space after \cite[...] disappears in the output.
>
>Strange. This keeps popping up and I can't find a reason in the source.
>Try \cite[authoryears][...] please to see if this makes the proble go away.

Works.

>>4. \setupbibtex ignores sort=author and writes \bibstyle{cont-no} to the
>>aux file. sort=title and sort=short work.
>
>Try sort=auteur, please. This is one area where I have a conflict with the
>multi-lingual interface, so perhaps the dutch keyword will help.

No change, still \bibstlye{cont-no} in the aux file...

>>5. When I say \cite[Meier01,Meier01a], expecting the result (Meier et
>>al., 2001, Meier et al., 2001a), I only get
>>the second reference: (Meier et al., 2001a). If I take care of different
>>article names by editing a={MeierA et~al.} in the bbl file, I get them
>>both with the same \cite command.
>
>This is a feature (but with a bug in it). It should have create the text
>(Meier et al., 2001, 2001a). To disable the compression, use
>
>\setupcite[authoryears][compress=no]
>
>I'll try to look at the bug.

I suspected such a feature, which is of course desirable. Unfortunately, i
can't disable it, \setupcite[authoryears][compress=no] has no effect,
neither has \setupcite[][compress=no]. I have looked at input and output
again, and it is (Meier et al., 2001a) instead of (Meier et al., 2001a,
2001b), what means that the second publication is omitted, not the first
one, if this helps you.
Good luck in bug-tracing and thanks again.

Eckhart

* Re: m-bib problems
@ 2001-07-10  9:35 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-07-10  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:

> I have some minor problems with the bibliography module.
>
> 1. A space after \cite[...] disappears in the output.

Strange. This keeps popping up and I can't find a reason in the source.
Try \cite[authoryears][...] please to see if this makes the proble go away.

> 2. My document is split up in products. The bbl file generated by bibtex
> is not read in automatically, whereas it is read in automatically for a
> test document which is not split up. I can \input the bbl file, of
> course, but it should be loaded implicitly, I think.

Insert a \dousepublications{\jobname} somewhere. Loading the bbl file is
currently connected to \starttext.

> 3. I do not get an entry in the table of contents for the reference
> list. Intentionally?

Yes. But there is probably an option to enable it  (It uses the standard
context list mechanism these days). Alternatively, use\placepublications
and invent your own heading.

@ 2001-07-10 10:37     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-07-10 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:

> At 09:35 10.07.2001 +0000, you wrote:
>
>>> I have some minor problems with the bibliography module.
>>> 1. A space after \cite[...] disappears in the output.
>>

>> Strange. This keeps popping up and I can't find a reason in the source.
>> Try \cite[authoryears][...] please to see if this makes the proble go
>> away.
>
> Works.

Working on this with Hans ... to be continued

>>> 4. \setupbibtex ignores sort=author and writes \bibstyle{cont-no} to
>>> the aux file. sort=title and sort=short work.
>>

>> Try sort=auteur, please. This is one area where I have a conflict with
>> the multi-lingual interface, so perhaps the dutch keyword will help.
>

> No change, still \bibstlye{cont-no} in the aux file...

Another one for Hans, I think. Here is the code:

\def\setupbibtex{\dosingleempty\dosetupbibtex}

\def\dosetupbibtex[#1]%
   {\def\@@pbdatabase{}%
    \getparameters[\??pb][#1]
    \processaction[\@@pbsort]%
         [\v!nee=>\def\bibstyle{cont-no},
       \c!author=>\def\bibstyle{cont-au},
        \v!title=>\def\bibstyle{cont-ti},
        \v!short=>\def\bibstyle{cont-ab},
      \s!unknown=>\def\bibstyle{cont-no}]%
    \ifx\@@pbdatabase\empty\else \writeauxfile \fi
    }

% and also have this redef. elsewhere:

\startconstants dutch english

       author: author author
\stopconstants

What is wrong with that code?

>> \setupcite[authoryears][compress=no]
>>
>> I'll try to look at the bug.
>

> I suspected such a feature, which is of course desirable. Unfortunately,
> i can't disable it, \setupcite[authoryears][compress=no] has no effect,

Changing the line in bibl-apa.tex that sets \c!compress=\v!ja into
\v!nee. should do the trick. This is another bug.

> neither has \setupcite[][compress=no]. I have looked at input and output
> again, and it is (Meier et al., 2001a) instead of (Meier et al., 2001a,
> 2001b), what means that the second publication is omitted, not the first
> one, if this helps you.

The problem is probably related to the a,b suffixes.

> Good luck in bug-tracing and thanks again.
>
> Eckhart

* Re: m-bib problems
@ 2001-07-10 13:54       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-07-10 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Eckhart Guthöhrlein, ntg-context

At 10:37 AM 7/10/01 +0000, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:

what would you expect from

blabla \cite[a] blabla? two spaces? As with most commands that can leas to
spae builduo, beter si to say:

blabla \cite[a]\ blabla if you really want two spaces [keep in mind that
tex is special with spaces,

@ 2001-07-10 15:14         ` Eckhart Guthöhrlein
From: Eckhart Guthöhrlein @ 2001-07-10 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 15:54 10.07.2001 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>At 10:37 AM 7/10/01 +0000, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> >

> >Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:

>what would you expect from
>
>blabla \cite[a] blabla? two spaces? As with most commands that can leas to
>spae builduo, beter si to say:

I would expect one space before and one after the citation:
blabla (...) bla

>blabla \cite[a]\ blabla if you really want two spaces [keep in mind that
>tex is special with spaces,

Hm, but this is only necessary because \cite acts differently form other
commands. For a command with one argument, delimited by square brackets, in
plain tex

\def\command[#1]{...}
blablabl \command[...] bla

will lead to two spaces, so I expected the space. The same goes for
commands like \in in context

blablabla \in[nowhere] bla

gives two spaces. At least, there seems to be an inconsistency. (But \in
etc have a different syntax, so perhaps the comparison is not quite adequate.)
And if I got things right, \cite[keys] and \cite[options][keys] are
presented as valid uses of \cite in the documentation, so \cite[keys] and
\cite[][keys] should have the same effect. I would say that the [optoins]
argument of \cite is not really optional if a space is gobbled in search
for it.

Eckhart

* Re: m-bib problems
@ 2001-07-10 17:05           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-07-10 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, Taco Hoekwater, ntg-context

Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:

> At 15:54 10.07.2001 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >
> >what would you expect from
> >
> >blabla \cite[a] blabla? two spaces? As with most commands that can leas to
> >spae builduo, beter si to say:
>
> I would expect one space before and one after the citation:
> blabla (...) bla

I agree with Eckhart here. I will add the (private) patch I got from
Hans
and upload a new updated version as soon as the other bugs are found as
well.

Greetings, Taco

* Re: m-bib problems
@ 2001-07-10 23:10             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-07-10 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 07:05 PM 7/10/01 +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>Eckhart Guthöhrlein wrote:

>I agree with Eckhart here. I will add the (private) patch I got from
>Hans

maybe it should depend on left/right chars?

fyi, i added the space-obeyer to the syst-ext module,