* Changing fonts, math and AMS
@ 2001-07-10  3:07 Luis A. Apiolaza
From: Luis A. Apiolaza @ 2001-07-10  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Now that context is running, I've been playing with it a bit. I'm in
the process of moving some latex files and most of the stuff works OK.
I have a few questions though:

1. How do you use \boldsymbol or any other ams extension with context?

2. I managed to set the default font to Lucida Bright (which looks a
lot better in PDF documents) using: \setupbodyfont[lbr] and the normal
text looks all right; however, equations between $ and $ look awful
with a chunky bold font. Is there a way so they look like latex $ $
but using Lucida Bright?

Cheers,

Luis

--
Dr Luis A. Apiolaza
Quantitative Geneticist

phone:   +61-3-6226 2213
fax:     +61-3-9229 2698
email:   mailto:luis.apiolaza@utas.edu.au

'There is no intellectual exercise which is not
ultimately useless'
Jorge Luis Borges
http://www.utas.edu.au/docs/plant_science/
;-)

* Re: Changing fonts, math and AMS
@ 2001-07-10  7:48   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-07-10  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 09:12 AM 7/10/01 +0000, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>Hi Luis,
>
>> Now that context is running, I've been playing with it a bit. I'm in
>> the process of moving some latex files and most of the stuff works OK.
>> I have a few questions though:
>>
>> 1. How do you use \boldsymbol or any other ams extension with context?
>

>Before this version, the answer would have been: with the math module.
>But at the moment, I'm not sure. I haven't had time to look at the new
>version yet.

the new font extensions permit this kind of thickery, as is explained in
the mfonts manual, but best is to wait till the math module is updates
[will happen soon]; actually math spacing, formula classes and alike are
now available in the core [see core-mat fo rdocu]

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Changing fonts, math and AMS
@ 2001-07-10  9:12 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-07-10  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Luis,

> Now that context is running, I've been playing with it a bit. I'm in
> the process of moving some latex files and most of the stuff works OK.
> I have a few questions though:
>
> 1. How do you use \boldsymbol or any other ams extension with context?

Before this version, the answer would have been: with the math module.
But at the moment, I'm not sure. I haven't had time to look at the new
version yet.

> 2. I managed to set the default font to Lucida Bright (which looks a
> lot better in PDF documents) using: \setupbodyfont[lbr] and the normal
> text looks all right; however, equations between $ and $ look awful
> with a chunky bold font. Is there a way so they look like latex $ $
> but using Lucida Bright?

Possibly a problem with pdftex that cannot find the PFB files?

Greetings,

Taco

* Re: Changing fonts, math and AMS
@ 2001-07-10 11:23   ` Luis A. Apiolaza
From: Luis A. Apiolaza @ 2001-07-10 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > 2. I managed to set the default font to Lucida Bright (which looks a
> > lot better in PDF documents) using: \setupbodyfont[lbr] and the normal
> > text looks all right; however, equations between $ and $ look awful
> > with a chunky bold font. Is there a way so they look like latex $ $
> > but using Lucida Bright?
>
> Possibly a problem with pdftex that cannot find the PFB files?

Yes, pdftex complains that it can not find the following files: lbms.pfb,
lbmo.pfb, lbsl.pfb and lbr.pfb. Do you know where to get them from or
how to create them?

Cheers,

Luis

@ 2001-07-10 15:01       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-07-10 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Luis A. Apiolaza, ntg-context

At 04:10 PM 7/10/01 +0000, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

>See http://www.yandy.com/lucida.htm
>
>(the fonts are commercial)

maybe if ten context users buy at the same time ... worth a try

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re: Changing fonts, math and AMS
@ 2001-07-10 15:40         ` Frans Goddijn
                             ` (3 more replies)
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-07-10 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >See http://www.yandy.com/lucida.htm
> maybe if ten context users buy at the same time ... worth a try

I'd be interested to partake in such a special group offer, if it
would also include the necessary files and examples of how to
actually *use* the complete font within ConTeXt

Frans
frans@goddijn.com
www.goddijn.com

* Re: Changing fonts, math and AMS
@ 2001-07-10 16:10     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-07-10 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Luis A. Apiolaza wrote:

>>Possibly a problem with pdftex that cannot find the PFB files?
>>

> Yes, pdftex complains that it can not find the following files: lbms.pfb,
> lbmo.pfb, lbsl.pfb and lbr.pfb. Do you know where to get them from or
> how to create them?

* Re: Changing fonts, math and AMS
@ 2001-07-10 16:36           ` Hans Hagen
                             ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-07-10 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 05:40 PM 7/10/01 +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:
>> >See http://www.yandy.com/lucida.htm
>> maybe if ten context users buy at the same time ... worth a try
>
>I'd be interested to partake in such a special group offer, if it

then give it a try, [you may refer to me if you think that it helps]

>would also include the necessary files and examples of how to
>actually *use* the complete font within ConTeXt

although yandy comes with the tfm's ready, texfont.pl should do it for you
-)

@ 2001-07-10 16:45           ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2001-07-10 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Frans Goddijn" <frans@goddijn.com> writes:

> I'd be interested to partake in such a special group offer, if it
> would also include the necessary files and examples of how to
> actually *use* the complete font within ConTeXt

me too.

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: Changing fonts, math and AMS
@ 2001-07-10 16:57           ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-07-10 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frans Goddijn wrote:

> > >See http://www.yandy.com/lucida.htm
> > maybe if ten context users buy at the same time ... worth a try
>
> I'd be interested to partake in such a special group offer, if it
> would also include the necessary files and examples of how to
> actually *use* the complete font within ConTeXt

Apart from the actual font installation, usage is a simple as

\setupbodyfont[lbr]

But, of course, Y&Y won't do it... :(
(I've tried this for mathtime ... I could get an amazing 20% discount
if I ordered more that 25 copies *and* owned a company that acts as
reseller)

Greetings, Taco

* Re: Changing fonts, math and AMS
@ 2001-07-10 23:21             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-07-10 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 06:45 PM 7/10/01 +0200, Berend de Boer wrote:
>"Frans Goddijn" <frans@goddijn.com> writes:
>
>> I'd be interested to partake in such a special group offer, if it
>> would also include the necessary files and examples of how to
>> actually *use* the complete font within ConTeXt
>
>me too.

support for fonts is now mostly organized in typescripts; i also have a zip
now with map files for (to start with) some font collections, and
installing fonts is not that hard now:

(1) copy the afm's and pfb's to a scratch path
(2) texfont --make --install --vendor=you --collection=nice

should produce all you need. I will add auto typoscript generation too.
Live would be much easier if we could agree on encodings.

Btw, i use map file names like:

  texnansi-lucas-sun.map

and so, and i really would like to have font files like texnansi-abc.tfm

btw, texfont generates slanted, bold and cap fonts with names like
slanted-167-extended-150-nice.tfm or caps-800-blabla.tfm; a bit like
xwindows, that way we can have whatever derivate without name clashes.

Hans
                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re[2]: Changing fonts, math and AMS
@ 2001-07-10 23:53       ` Luis A. Apiolaza
From: Luis A. Apiolaza @ 2001-07-10 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Well, spending US$165 doesn't sound that appealing. I don't know if it
would be the same quality, but I was searching the net and I found
Lucida math symbol, extension and italic (supplied by Linotype) for
US$21 each at:

http://www.fonthaus.com

They are offered as PC Postscript or Macintosh Postscript. Does anyone
has experience with those types of fonts. Would they work directly
with context or it would be necessary to do some obscure work on them
before being able to include them in my documents?

Cheers,

Luis

email:   mailto:luis.apiolaza@utas.edu.au

'There is no intellectual exercise which is not
ultimately useless'
Jorge Luis Borges

On 7/11/2001 you wrote:

Taco> See http://www.yandy.com/lucida.htm

Taco> (the fonts are commercial)

* Re: Changing fonts, math and AMS
@ 2001-07-11 10:01         ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-07-11 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Luis A. Apiolaza wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Well, spending US$165 doesn't sound that appealing. I don't know if it
> would be the same quality, but I was searching the net and I found
> Lucida math symbol, extension and italic (supplied by Linotype) for
> US$21 each at:
>
> http://www.fonthaus.com
>
> They are offered as PC Postscript or Macintosh Postscript. Does anyone
> has experience with those types of fonts. Would they work directly
> with context or it would be necessary to do some obscure work on them
> before being able to include them in my documents?

You would need the PC Postscript version (PFB/PFM). I remember these
fonts vaguely, they are not as good as the Y&Y ones but they should
do the job. These are the 'parents', so to say. They'll need some work
and probably will miss some characters.

But ... you can get the Y&Y ones separately as well: check this page

   http://www.yandy.com/river/setdetail-LB.htm

Just the 5 math fonts will cost you $70. Since you need at least the
three basic ones, the difference is 70-3*21 = only $7. You'll get
two extra fonts and they will be the 'right' ones.

For the remaining $95, you get 22 high-quality fonts.
Not a bad deal at all.

Greetings, Taco

* Re: Changing fonts, math and AMS
                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-07-11 15:54           ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2001-07-11 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

If this could be achieved, I would be in to participate in such a group
aquisition of the Lucida fonts!

Willi

* Re: Changing fonts, math and AMS
@ 2001-07-11 18:39             ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-07-11 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Taco says YandY is not interested in such group purchases. Maybe
we could ask at www.fontshop.be if we agree on a font to buy.

I would be interested in a font to use instead of Times. A font
that's typographically interesting while being inobtrusive to the
average reader. Not a font that shows off that something funny is
on the page besides the message of the text itself.

Maybe Lucida would do that, i don't know.

groet!

frans

@ 2001-07-12  7:14               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2001-07-12  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:39 PM 7/11/01 +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:
>Taco says YandY is not interested in such group purchases. Maybe
>we could ask at www.fontshop.be if we agree on a font to buy.

then www.fontshop.de is the better site [no daily flash plugin update needed]

  http://www.myfonts.com

is also a pretty good font site