* Re: Re[3]: Using MetaPost graphics in ConTeXt
@ 2003-03-25  8:46 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2003-03-25  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 10:07 PM 3/24/2003 -0500, Gary Pajer wrote:

>I've tried to resist, but I have to ask.  Why not write a simple batch file
>that runs MetaPost *and* changes the extension?  That's what I do. ... Are
>you processing several MP scripts in one file ??

Remembering that i did look into it long ago, i took a look in the core-fig
file; now, if you really want this kind of support, open core-fig.tex and
search for:

   % new, test first

uncomment the doifnumberelse lines and you'll have the support needed (a
new format needs to be generated)

Hans
                                   Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE | pragma@wxs.nl

* Re[5]: Using MetaPost graphics in ConTeXt
@ 2003-03-25 10:34 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-03-25 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuesday, March 25, 2003 Hans Hagen wrote:

HH> At 10:07 PM 3/24/2003 -0500, Gary Pajer wrote:

>>I've tried to resist, but I have to ask.  Why not write a simple batch file
>>that runs MetaPost *and* changes the extension?  That's what I do. ... Are
>>you processing several MP scripts in one file ??

HH> Remembering that i did look into it long ago, i took a look in the core-fig
HH> file; now, if you really want this kind of support, open core-fig.tex and
HH> search for:

HH>    % new, test first

HH> uncomment the doifnumberelse lines and you'll have the support needed (a
HH> new format needs to be generated)

I had thought of doing that (I had spotted the lines while trying
to debug the problem), but what I think is important is that
graphics inclusion should be, within limits, independent from
extension. For example, while .<num> are usually MP output, I
could have other formats (embeddable by PDF) using those
extensions. As long as I can specify [type=...] or [method=...],
the extension should be left whatever it is.

The problem arises because when the name of the included graphic
is the same as the \jobname, extension is discarded. To be
precise, two things are done: some extensions are discarded from
the extensions searched, and then the extension of the file is
wiped. While the first action is very wise (prevents output/input
clash, so indeed tex, xml, pdf and dvi should be not searched in
such a case), the second is not a good idea: after the suppression
of the extensions, the inclusion should continue normally: we're
safe from clash because the "wrong" extensions will not be
searched.

Can *this* be fixed?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re[5]: Using MetaPost graphics in ConTeXt
@ 2003-03-25 10:35         ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2003-03-25 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tuesday, March 25, 2003 Gary Pajer wrote:

>> Ok, but in the mean time how is one supposed to include MetaPost
>> output without having to rename the files?

GP> I've tried to resist, but I have to ask.  Why not write a simple batch file
GP> that runs MetaPost *and* changes the extension?  That's what I do. ... Are
GP> you processing several MP scripts in one file ??

Oh, I can do many things. And I don't even *need* it --it's just
for testing purpouses, not for production stuff-- but why use a
workaround when the problem can be fixed?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta