* MPgraphic question
@ 2006-01-13 20:52 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2006-01-13 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I find it difficult to see the difference -- and therefore when to
use the one or the other -- between useMPgraphic and uniqueMPgraphic.
Is there someone who will enlighten me? Because I hate not knowing
what I am doing.

yours sincerely,
dr. H. van der Meer

* Re: MPgraphic question
@ 2006-01-13 22:02 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-13 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer wrote:

> I find it difficult to see the difference -- and therefore when to
> use the one or the other -- between useMPgraphic and uniqueMPgraphic.
> Is there someone who will enlighten me? Because I hate not knowing
> what I am doing.

say that you have a background behind framed:

compare:

\startuseMPgraphic{test}
    draw OverlayBox withcolor red ;
\stopuseMPgraphic{test}

\setupcolor[state=start]

\defineoverlay[test][\useMPgraphic{test}]

\starttext

\framed[background=test]{Hans}
\framed[background=test]{Hans van}
\framed[background=test]{Hans van der}
\framed[background=test]{Hans van der Meer}
\framed[background=test]{Hans}

\stoptext

compare: use, reuse and unique and you'll notice the differnece:

use: every time (i.e. 5 mp runs)
reuse: once, each framed gets the same background (some have wrong
dimensions)
unique: 4 runs, the last one has the same dimensions and is shared

so ... unique is able to determine if it can reuse (based on
configurable characteristics)

Hans

* Re: MPgraphic question
@ 2006-01-14  1:17 ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-01-14  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am recalling from memory, but try each, but use the graphic about
five times in your document. Before compiling, clear your directory
of all files except your sample tex file. Then compile.

If I remember, when you use the useMPgraphic, you'll get a graphic
file each time you use it (five of them), but only one with the
uniqueMPgraphic.

That's one difference, if I am remembering this properly.

On Jan 13, 2006, at 12:52 PM, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> I find it difficult to see the difference -- and therefore when to
> use the one or the other -- between useMPgraphic and uniqueMPgraphic.
> Is there someone who will enlighten me? Because I hate not knowing
> what I am doing.
>
> yours sincerely,
> dr. H. van der Meer

David Arnold
College of the Redwoods
Mathematics Department
Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 476-4222
http://online.redwoods.edu/instruct/darnold/

* Re: MPgraphic question
@ 2006-01-15 17:02   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-01-15 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote:

> I am recalling from memory, but try each, but use the graphic about
> five times in your document. Before compiling, clear your directory
> of all files except your sample tex file. Then compile.
>
> If I remember, when you use the useMPgraphic, you'll get a graphic
> file each time you use it (five of them), but only one with the
> uniqueMPgraphic.

unique only generates a new instance when the overlaystamp has changed:

\def\overlaystamp
  {\overlaywidth:\overlayheight:\overlaydepth
:\MPcolor\overlaycolor:\MPcolor\overlaylinecolor}

Hans