* using mag and "myway"
@ 2008-04-15 20:02 Pau
From: Pau @ 2008-04-15 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am worried because I would like to use mag-01 to write a document and
then upload it to the arxiv.org. Of course, I have a title for the document and
I would like to use it instead of having "My Way" written in the front page
(which nobody would understand)

I see that

-------------------------
%C This module is part of the \CONTEXT\ macro||package and is
%C therefore copyrighted by \PRAGMA. See mreadme.pdf for
%C details.
-------------------------

I found this file on the net.  at

www.tug.org/teTeX/tetex-texmfdist/doc/context/base/mreadme.pdf

I see that it is (basically?) GPL.

Ok... now, in mag-01 I read that:

% This style is used for producing explanationary documents.
% Don't misuse it for other purposes, since it may confuse
% users. Don't change the title either, since it provides a
% way to categorize documents. Numbers are disabled in
% instances produced outside PRAGMA ADE.

"Don't change the title either"

?!?!

and

% These are reserved for PRAGMA-ADE, don't use them yourself!

% \setvariables[magazine][main=Tricky]
% \setvariables[magazine][main=Update]
% \setvariables[magazine][main=HOWTO]

% \setvariables[magazine][main=This Way]      % preludes to a/the manual
% \setvariables[magazine][main=A Better Way]  % dirty versus clean
% \setvariables[magazine][main=No Way]        % how users should not do
% it
% \setvariables[magazine][main=Your Way]      % how users do it
% \setvariables[magazine][main=My Way]        % how users do it
% \setvariables[magazine][main=Our Way]       % how we do things at
% pragma
% \setvariables[magazine][main=Their Way]     % how to do latex things
% in context

What does this mean? Am I free to use the style but forced to write
"My Way" on the top of
it? Cannot I modify mag-01.tex, rename it to something which do not
lead to confusion (say "JourDiffTitle.tex") and -of course leaving the
comments there- use it as I want?

Are the example tex files under the gpl or cannot one modify them?

I am asking to avoid posterior problems.

Thanks,

Pau

* Re: using mag and "myway"
@ 2008-04-15 21:00 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-15 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am worried because I would like to use mag-01 to write a document and
> then upload it to the arxiv.org. Of course, I have a title for the document and
> I would like to use it instead of having "My Way" written in the front page
> (which nobody would understand)
>
> I see that
>
> -------------------------
> %C This module is part of the \CONTEXT\ macro||package and is
> %C therefore copyrighted by \PRAGMA. See mreadme.pdf for
> %C details.
> -------------------------
>
> I found this file on the net.  at
>
> www.tug.org/teTeX/tetex-texmfdist/doc/context/base/mreadme.pdf
>
> I see that it is (basically?) GPL.
>
> Ok... now, in mag-01 I read that:
>
> % This style is used for producing explanationary documents.
> % Don't misuse it for other purposes, since it may confuse
> % users. Don't change the title either, since it provides a
> % way to categorize documents. Numbers are disabled in
> % instances produced outside PRAGMA ADE.
>
> "Don't change the title either"
>
> ?!?!
>
> and
>
> % These are reserved for PRAGMA-ADE, don't use them yourself!
>
> % \setvariables[magazine][main=Tricky]
> % \setvariables[magazine][main=Update]
> % \setvariables[magazine][main=HOWTO]
>
> % \setvariables[magazine][main=This Way]      % preludes to a/the manual
> % \setvariables[magazine][main=A Better Way]  % dirty versus clean
> % \setvariables[magazine][main=No Way]        % how users should not do
> % it
> % \setvariables[magazine][main=Your Way]      % how users do it
> % \setvariables[magazine][main=My Way]        % how users do it
> % \setvariables[magazine][main=Our Way]       % how we do things at
> % pragma
> % \setvariables[magazine][main=Their Way]     % how to do latex things
> % in context
>

> What does this mean? Am I free to use the style but forced to write
> "My Way" on the top of
> it? Cannot I modify mag-01.tex, rename it to something which do not
> lead to confusion (say "JourDiffTitle.tex") and -of course leaving the
> comments there- use it as I want?
>
> Are the example tex files under the gpl or cannot one modify them?

it's just that we don't want confusion .. a context user expects a
myway/yourway to be a kind of manual

so, if you use one of the reserved titles, then it should preferaby be a
kind of manual thing; often these end up on the garden or alongside modules

i have no problem if you create a document using another title

at the top of your document you can change the title using \setvariables
so there is no real reason for a copy

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: using mag and "myway"
@ 2008-04-15 21:14   ` Pau
From: Pau @ 2008-04-15 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Dank u!

That was a quick answer.

Also, thanks a lot for your software, and for making it free. You have
made true a lot of little perversions of mine which usually cost me
sweat and blood with latex (no offense please, your work is great,
this is just intented to be a nice little joke)

It's amazing to see how I get the same result with context in one line
(or even one command) when I needed something like 20 lines or so with
latex!

You have gained a new ardent context fan.

Pau