* label, caption and eps in figures?
@ 2009-06-12 15:43 Pau
From: Pau @ 2009-06-12 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I am struggling to get something equivalent to this in ConTeXt:

\begin{figure}
\resizebox{\hsize}{!}{\includegraphics[scale=1,bb=0 0 0 0,clip]
{MyFigure.eps}}
\caption{My Caption
\label{fig.mylabel}
}
\end{figure}

I am especially having difficulties with caption (I would need a bold
"Fig. 1" on it) and with the label. \ref{fig.mylabel} is not
recognised (see below).

Also, texexec seems to not understand the eps format

The closest I have got is this:

\placeexternalfigure{\externalfigure[MyFigure][label=fig.mylabel,factor=broad,method=eps]
\addlegendentry{My Caption}
}

* Re: label, caption and eps in figures?
@ 2009-06-12 15:56 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]   ` <6faad9f00906120859q1d7692aesc4bf1456c5a90405@mail.gmail.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-06-12 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am struggling to get something equivalent to this in ConTeXt:

> \begin{figure}
> \resizebox{\hsize}{!}{\includegraphics[scale=1,bb=0 0 0 0,clip]
> {MyFigure.eps}}
> \caption{My Caption
> \label{fig.mylabel}
> }
> \end{figure}
>
> I am especially having difficulties with caption (I would need a bold
> "Fig. 1" on it) and with the label. \ref{fig.mylabel} is not
> recognised (see below).

\starttext

\placefigure
     {My Caption}
     {\externalfigure[MyFigure.eps][factor=broad]}

\stoptext

by default pdftex is used; if you use eps, best convert them to pdf
first (once)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-06-12 20:40     ` Pau
From: Pau @ 2009-06-12 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

thanks for the hint. The legend worked very well.

Nevertheless, I still have not understood what the equivalent in
ConTeXt of LaTeX \ref{} <---> \label{} is

\begin{equation}
1 + 1 = 2
\label{eq.1}
\end{equation}

In Eq. \ref{eq.1}, we show that one plus one equals two

How would you write that in ConTeXt?

And for a figure?

thanks for your patience,

Pau

--
Let there be peace on earth. And let it begin with misc

* Re: label, caption and eps in figures?
@ 2009-06-12 21:33       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-06-12 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thanks for the hint. The legend worked very well.
>
> Nevertheless, I still have not understood what the equivalent in
> ConTeXt of LaTeX \ref{} <---> \label{} is

label is always an optional arg

refs go like: \in{figure}[label] or \at{page}[label]

> \begin{equation}
> 1 + 1 = 2
> \label{eq.1}
> \end{equation}
>
> In Eq. \ref{eq.1}, we show that one plus one equals two
>
> How would you write that in ConTeXt?

\placeformula[label]
   \startformula
   \stopformula

> And for a figure?

\placefigure
     [here]           % location
     [fig.MyCaption]  % reference
     {My Caption}     % caption

@ 2009-06-13 12:15         ` Pau
From: Pau @ 2009-06-13 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

thanks a _lot_

Now I have converted all eps figures into pdf, but I am running yet
into another snag... the conversion seems to ruin the bounding box of
the eps figures, so that the pdf figures are taking a full a4 site;
when I then use them in the main tex file, they are filling a whole
page.

Is there a way to define a bounding box in \externalfigure ? I have
checked in the wikipage and googled a bit, but since English is not my
mother tongue, I may very well have used a bad keyword.

If not, can anybody point me to a way of modifying a pdf file to get
rid of all exterior white space around a figure? I can imagine you can
do this with adobe software, but I don't have that. Only unix.

thanks,

Pau

@ 2009-06-13 12:21           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-06-13 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 13.06.2009 um 14:15 schrieb Pau:

> Hello,
>
> thanks a _lot_
>
> Now I have converted all eps figures into pdf, but I am running yet
> into another snag... the conversion seems to ruin the bounding box of
> the eps figures, so that the pdf figures are taking a full a4 site;
> when I then use them in the main tex file, they are filling a whole
> page.
>
> Is there a way to define a bounding box in \externalfigure ? I have
> checked in the wikipage and googled a bit, but since English is not my
> mother tongue, I may very well have used a bad keyword.
>
> If not, can anybody point me to a way of modifying a pdf file to get
> rid of all exterior white space around a figure? I can imagine you can
> do this with adobe software, but I don't have that. Only unix.

pdfcrop

Wolfgang

* Re: label, caption and eps in figures?
@ 2009-06-13 12:24           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-06-13 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thanks a _lot_
>
> Now I have converted all eps figures into pdf, but I am running yet
> into another snag... the conversion seems to ruin the bounding box of
> the eps figures, so that the pdf figures are taking a full a4 site;
> when I then use them in the main tex file, they are filling a whole
> page.
>
> Is there a way to define a bounding box in \externalfigure ? I have
> checked in the wikipage and googled a bit, but since English is not my
> mother tongue, I may very well have used a bad keyword.
>
> If not, can anybody point me to a way of modifying a pdf file to get
> rid of all exterior white space around a figure? I can imagine you can
> do this with adobe software, but I don't have that. Only unix.

there is a pdtopdf script in the distribution (ruby script that needs
gs) that can do it that way (by default it uses the boundingbox)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2009-06-13 13:09             ` Pau
From: Pau @ 2009-06-13 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks again!

pstopdf is accomplishing what neither convert, nor ps2pdf, nor etc etc
was able to do

Thank you very much for the hint

Pau

@ 2009-06-24 11:25               ` Pau
From: Pau @ 2009-06-24 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

some weeks ago I asked how to have a caption under a figure. I got a
detailed answer:

\placefigure
   [here]           % location
   [fig.MyCaption]  % reference
   {My Caption}     % caption
   {\externalfigure[MyFigure.eps][factor=broad]}

Now I am preparing a presentation and I would like to have a figure
with a caption below it but, of course, I would like not to have the
"Fig. 1" on it.

I have figured out how to remove the Fig. part of it:

\setuplabeltext[en][figure=]

in the preamble. But I am still getting the number in bold: "1.1" in
the caption. How could I remove it?

thanks a lot

Pau

@ 2009-06-25 11:25                 ` Pau
From: Pau @ 2009-06-25 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

was this question too silly, or did it just fall in a bottomless pit?

thanks in any case

Pau

@ 2009-06-25 14:19                   ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2009-06-25 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

You mean no caption at all:

\placefigure
	[here,none]
	[]fig:foto]
	{}
	{\externalfigure...}

Willi

@ 2009-06-25 15:06                     ` Pau
From: Pau @ 2009-06-25 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

hello,

No, sorry, probably I was obscure and explained bad

I want the caption but neither "Fig" nor the number of the figure

I want a text below the figure without Fig.1 on it

thanks

@ 2009-06-26  6:33                       ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2009-06-26  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is then the approach