* Possible problem with context using the ARM 64bit download for Apple Silicon M1
@ 2021-02-23 16:51 Keith McKay
From: Keith McKay @ 2021-02-23 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all

I have been using ConTeXt (X86 64bits) on my mac mini Apple Silicon M1
and it works well using Rosetta translation for the M1. I recently
installed the ARM 64bits version (separately from the X86 64bits
version) which I assume does not require translation using Rosetta.
However I had a error with the lmt_shade command in the ARM 64bits
ConTeXt verson but not in with the X86 64bits version of ConTeXt. The
MWE is shown below. This is actually taken from the LuaMetaFun manual. I
also noticed that some figures are missing in the manual (Chapter 7,
Shade) which is part of the ARM 64bit tree but not in the manual in the
X86 64bits tree.

Best Wishes

Keith McKay

Hamilton, Scotland.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\setuppapersize [A4, portrait]

\usecolors[crayola]

\starttext

\startMPpage

StartPage;

width := PaperWidth ; height := PaperHeight ; unit := cm ;

definecolor [ name = "MyColor3", r = 0.22, g = 0.44, b = 0.66 ] ;

definecolor [ name = "MyColor4", r = 0.66, g = 0.44, b = 0.22 ] ;

draw lmt_shade [

path = fullcircle scaled 4cm,

direction = "right",

domain = { 0, 2 },

colors = { "MyColor3", "MyColor4" },

] ;

StopPage;

\stopMPpage

\stoptext

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Here is the error taken from the log

<snip>

system >

system > ConTeXt ver: 2021.02.20 16:50 LMTX fmt: 2021.2.21 int:
english/english

system >

system > 'cont-new.mkxl' loaded <snip>

metapost > initializing number mode 'scaled'

metafun > log >

metafun > log > error: Not a cycle

metafun > log >

metapost > log > <to be read again>

metapost > log > withprescript

metapost > log > <argument>
...asparameter"vector":center_a:=point(getparameter"vector"1)of.mfun_shade_path;center_b:=point(getparameter"vector"2)of.mfun_shade_path;fi.fill.mfun_shade_path.withprescript

metapost > log > "sh_domain="...

metapost > log >
image->begingroup.save.currentpicture;picture.currentpicture;currentpicture:=nullpicture;(TEXT3)

metapost > log >
;currentpicture.if.str(SUFFIX2)<>"":shifted(mfun_labxf(SUFFIX2)*lrcorner.p+mfun_labyf(SUFFIX2)*ulcorn...

metapost > log >
lmt_do_shade->...ve="circular":draw.fullcircle.scaled(radius_a)shifted.center_a.dashed.evenly;draw.fullcircle.scaled(factor*radius_b)shifted-center_b.dashed.evenly;fi.fi.popparameters;)

metapost > log > endgroup

metapost > log > <scantokens> lmt_do_shade

metapost > log >

metapost > log > <*> ... name = "MyColor4", r = 0.66, g = 0.44, b = 0.22
] ; draw lmt_shade [ path = fullcircle scaled 4cm, direction = "right",
domain = { 0, 2 }, colors = { "MyColor3", "MyColor4" }, ]

metafun > log >

metafun > log > That contour should have ended with '.. cycle' or '&
cycle'. So I'll not change

anything just now.

metafun > log >

metapost > log > ; StopPage; ;

metapost > log >

* Re: Possible problem with context using the ARM 64bit download for Apple Silicon M1
@ 2021-02-23 17:21 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-02-23 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/23/2021 5:51 PM, Keith McKay wrote:

> I have been using ConTeXt (X86 64bits) on my mac mini Apple Silicon M1
> and it works well using Rosetta translation for the M1. I recently
> installed the ARM 64bits version (separately from the X86 64bits
> version) which I assume does not require translation using Rosetta.
> However I had a error with the lmt_shade command in the ARM 64bits
> ConTeXt verson but not in with the X86 64bits version of ConTeXt. The
> MWE is shown below. This is actually taken from the LuaMetaFun manual. I
> also noticed that some figures are missing in the manual (Chapter 7,
> Shade) which is part of the ARM 64bit tree but not in the manual in the
> X86 64bits tree.
That arm version was an experiment so it's definitely not in sync with
the latest luametatex/lmtx combination. It was crosscompiled on an intel
mac which took ages so it stuck as experiment. Because th eintel bin
runs on the arm mac it has a low priority (unless someone donates an arm
mini to the farm). So, forget about the arm apple bins for now.

We do generate windows arm but that's because it's easy to do, boit that
we have a machine to test if it actually works.

Btw, in the latest upload the metafun manual should compile ok (Otared
tested till we had all working in lmtx which does some things
differnetly deep down; there were also some resources missing).

Hans

* Re: Possible problem with context using the ARM 64bit download for Apple Silicon M1
@ 2021-02-23 19:10   ` Keith McKay
From: Keith McKay @ 2021-02-23 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for your reply Hans.

I half suspected that the ARM version was experimental but thought I
should report it anyway.

Much as I would love to donate an ARM mini to the farm the best I can do
is offer to compile on my mac mini Silicon M1, however, I would have to
add the caveat that this is something I have never done so would need a
lot of hand holding.

Best Wishes

Keith

@ 2021-02-23 19:20     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2021-02-23 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2/23/2021 8:10 PM, Keith McKay wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Hans.
>
> I half suspected that the ARM version was experimental but thought I
> should report it anyway.
>
> Much as I would love to donate an ARM mini to the farm the best I can do
> is offer to compile on my mac mini Silicon M1, however, I would have to
> add the caveat that this is something I have never done so would need a
> lot of hand holding.
it would mean opening up your machien to mojca, adding it to the compile
farm etc etc .. not a good idea, keeping it running 24/7 because we
cannot afforc to miss a binary ... so we just wait till these arm
machines make in into our homes .. no hurry i guess

Hans

* Re: Possible problem with context using the ARM 64bit download for Apple Silicon M1
@ 2021-02-23 19:41       ` Bruce Horrocks
From: Bruce Horrocks @ 2021-02-23 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Keith McKay

On 23 Feb 2021, at 19:20, Hans Hagen <j.hagen@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 2/23/2021 8:10 PM, Keith McKay wrote:
>> Thanks for your reply Hans.
>> I half suspected that the ARM version was experimental but thought I should report it anyway.
>> Much as I would love to donate an ARM mini to the farm the best I can do is offer to compile on my mac mini Silicon M1, however, I would have to add the caveat that this is something I have never done so would need a lot of hand holding.
> it would mean opening up your machien to mojca, adding it to the compile farm etc etc .. not a good idea, keeping it running 24/7 because we cannot afforc to miss a binary ... so we just wait till these arm machines make in into our homes .. no hurry i guess

Are the source files and test cases in a Git / Mercurial / Fossil / whatever repository somewhere? It would be easy enough to set up an automated daily check to see if there had been a change and then trigger a fresh build.

It doesn't even need to be that integrated - just a check on the latest intel binary and if that has been touched then trigger a download and local compile.

If Keith's scripting skills aren't up to it then I could do it and then developer sign and upload the resulting binary to OneDrive or similar.

Regards,
—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK