* TeXCalc
@ 2008-06-11 18:28 Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-06-11 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

I downloaded Taco's TeXCalc script at http://tex.aanhet.net/utils/texcalc
and installed the required perlTk thingie.

Newbie question...

How do you run this "silly script" (*) ?

Using ActivePerl and sciTE.

Thanks,
Alan

(*) No, no it's not me who said it first... Taco wrote it himself ! ;O)

* Re: TeXCalc
@ 2008-06-11 18:48 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-06-11 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Stone wrote:
> I downloaded Taco's TeXCalc script at http://tex.aanhet.net/utils/texcalc
> and installed the required perlTk thingie.
>
> Newbie question...
>
> How do you run this "silly script" (*) ?
>
> Using ActivePerl and sciTE.

maybe just

perl texcalc.pl

if i remember right it's a perltk script; it dates from the time (1999
or so) that taco and i were exploring perltk .. in the same group or
apps there is texwork (an tex oriented editor writen in perltk that i
wrote plus some goodies - it still runs ok i just saw) and texshow that
was later rewritten by taco to handle the xml variant if the syntax
definitions

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: TeXCalc
@ 2008-06-11 19:54 ` Michael Hallgren
From: Michael Hallgren @ 2008-06-11 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mercredi 11 juin 2008 à 20:28 +0200, Alan Stone a écrit :
> I downloaded Taco's TeXCalc script at
> http://tex.aanhet.net/utils/texcalc
> and installed the required perlTk thingie.
>
> Newbie question...
>
> How do you run this "silly script" (*) ?
>
> Using ActivePerl and sciTE.

mh@home:~/Bureau$ ./texcalc &
[1] 16901
mh@home:~/Bureau$

unless you prefer to add it to your PATH.

Cheers,

mh

> Thanks,
> Alan
>
> (*) No, no it's not me who said it first... Taco wrote it
> himself ! ;O)

* Re: TeXCalc
@ 2008-06-12  7:27   ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-06-12  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for your replies. Hans' suggestion worked.

As for...

>mh@home:~/Bureau$ ./texcalc &
>[1] 16901
>mh@home:~/Bureau$

I don't understand a thing about it. It's like klingon to me.  ;O)

Nevertheless, I'm curious. Where do you input that ?

FYI, I'm on Windows.

Alan

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Michael Hallgren <m.hallgren@free.fr>
wrote:

> Le mercredi 11 juin 2008 à 20:28 +0200, Alan Stone a écrit :
> > I downloaded Taco's TeXCalc script at
> > http://tex.aanhet.net/utils/texcalc
> > and installed the required perlTk thingie.
> >
> > Newbie question...
> >
> > How do you run this "silly script" (*) ?
> >
> > Using ActivePerl and sciTE.
>
> mh@home:~/Bureau$ ./texcalc &
> [1] 16901
> mh@home:~/Bureau$
>
> unless you prefer to add it to your PATH.
>
> Cheers,
>
> mh
>

> > Thanks,
> > Alan
> >
> > (*) No, no it's not me who said it first... Taco wrote it
> > himself ! ;O)

> > webpage  : http://www.pragma-ade.nl / http://tex.aanhet.net
> > archive  : https://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/contextrev/
> > wiki     : http://contextgarden.net

* Re: TeXCalc
@ 2008-06-12  7:54     ` Michael Hallgren
From: Michael Hallgren @ 2008-06-12  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le jeudi 12 juin 2008 à 09:27 +0200, Alan Stone a écrit :
> Thanks for your replies. Hans' suggestion worked.
>
> As for...
>
> >mh@home:~/Bureau$ ./texcalc &
> >[1] 16901
> >mh@home:~/Bureau$
>
> I don't understand a thing about it. It's like klingon to me.  ;O)
>
> Nevertheless, I'm curious. Where do you input that ?
>
> FYI, I'm on Windows.

Sorry, my excuses. That's the way you would do if you were using a Unix
alike system.

Cheers,

mh

> Alan
>
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Michael Hallgren <m.hallgren@free.fr>
> wrote:
>         Le mercredi 11 juin 2008 à 20:28 +0200, Alan Stone a écrit :
>         > I downloaded Taco's TeXCalc script at
>         > http://tex.aanhet.net/utils/texcalc
>         > and installed the required perlTk thingie.
>         >
>         > Newbie question...
>         >
>         > How do you run this "silly script" (*) ?
>         >
>         > Using ActivePerl and sciTE.
>

>         mh@home:~/Bureau$ ./texcalc &
>         [1] 16901
>         mh@home:~/Bureau$
>
>         unless you prefer to add it to your PATH.
>
>         Cheers,
>
>         mh
>
>         >
>         > Thanks,
>         > Alan
>         >
>         > (*) No, no it's not me who said it first... Taco wrote it
>         > himself ! ;O)
>

>         >
>         >

* Re: TeXCalc
@ 2008-06-12 10:24       ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-06-12 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> That's the way you would do if you were using a Unix
>alike system.

Mama mia ! That definitely doesn't motivate me to switch
to something Unix-ish. Forgive me, I'm a simple soul. ;O)

Good you've put it here for future reference nevertheless.

Best,
Alan

* Re: TeXCalc
@ 2008-06-12 10:42         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-06-12 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Alan Stone wrote:
>> That's the way you would do if you were using a Unix
>>alike system.
>
> Mama mia ! That definitely doesn't motivate me to switch
> to something Unix-ish. Forgive me, I'm a simple soul. ;O)

On Windows you can create a file
   texcalc.bat
with contents
   perl C:\path-to-texcalc\texcalc.pl
and put it somewhere into PATH.

Then, you will be able to call texcalc from console. If you want it in
Start Menu, I guess that you can simply put a link to that bat file
(or copy that bat file there).

Mojca

* Re: TeXCalc
@ 2008-06-12 12:53           ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-06-12 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Mojca.

For future reference, on how to proceed:
http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/environment.htm
or google (with quotes): "windows xp" +path

Alan

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Mojca Miklavec <
mojca.miklavec.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:24 PM, Alan Stone wrote:
> >> That's the way you would do if you were using a Unix
> >>alike system.
> >
> > Mama mia ! That definitely doesn't motivate me to switch
> > to something Unix-ish. Forgive me, I'm a simple soul. ;O)
>
> On Windows you can create a file
>   texcalc.bat
> with contents
>   perl C:\path-to-texcalc\texcalc.pl
> and put it somewhere into PATH.
>
> Then, you will be able to call texcalc from console. If you want it in
> Start Menu, I guess that you can simply put a link to that bat file
> (or copy that bat file there).
>
> Mojca

* Re: TeXCalc
       [not found] <BBEBLFPKHFAPEFFKBALGCECBCJAA.hensh@math.msu.edu>
@ 2001-02-11 17:36 ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-02-11 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Richard for your advice! I've installed the pk material and now I get
Taco's calculator on screen, a fancy and pretty thing. On startup it flashes
some fast disappearing remarks about missing stacks or something but
otherwise it works beautifully,

Thanks!

Frans

From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-02-11 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I suppose this is something for gurus...

I don't know what "execute in a shell" is but I did it on a command line and
got the response that ppm is not a filename or something like that.. I am
online, so that's not it.

Okay, I'll just wait untill it's all much simpler, so don't worry and forget
it.

> need to execute this command in a shell:
>
>     ppm install Tk

* Re: TeXCalc
@ 2001-02-11 12:41       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-02-11 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Frans,

The program needs perlTk, a set of Perl extension modules that allows
one to define windows with buttons, dropdown-lists etc. It's the same
extension set that texshow uses, so I assumed most people on the list
would have it installed. :)

Installation depends on your perl & operating system.

I'm guessing you are using ActiveState perl, so you probably
need to execute this command in a shell:

    ppm install Tk

(you have to be online for this to work)

Groetjes, Taco

> how should the program be used? It looks like a PERL script so I renamed it
> rexcalc.pl and on the command prompt I said "perl texcalc.pl" but then perl
> says it misses some "tk" stuff somewheres.

* Re: TeXCalc
@ 2001-02-11  9:48     ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2001-02-11  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Taco,

how should the program be used? It looks like a PERL script so I renamed it
rexcalc.pl and on the command prompt I said "perl texcalc.pl" but then perl
says it misses some "tk" stuff somewheres.

Groet!

Frans

> For those who want to play with a little new program,
> here is TeXCalc, version 0.1.

* TeXCalc
@ 2001-02-11  1:39   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2001-02-11  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)