* menu question
@ 2008-08-02 19:10 Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-08-02 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

With...

\startinteractionmenu[right]
    \placecontent[..., criterium=chapter (or section), ...]
\stopinteractionmenu

and chapter/section lists longer than the text area height,
how do you prevent the menu items from extending beyond
the bottom of the text area (and page) and have the menu
scroll down after the menu's bottom chapter/section item ?

I tried my luck with distance=\textheight but no luck and don't
see any other option which could provide this feature.

Thanks,
Alan

* Re: menu question
@ 2008-08-03  8:25 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-03  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Stone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With...
>
> \startinteractionmenu[right]
>     \placecontent[..., criterium=chapter (or section), ...]
> \stopinteractionmenu
>
> and chapter/section lists longer than the text area height,
> how do you prevent the menu items from extending beyond
> the bottom of the text area (and page) and have the menu
> scroll down after the menu's bottom chapter/section item ?
>
> I tried my luck with distance=\textheight but no luck and don't
> see any other option which could provide this feature.

it's a fixed size area so the best you can do is to either make the
fontsize smaller, the area wider (less linebreaks) or see of
\startsimplecolumns ... \stopsimplecolumns helps

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: menu question
@ 2008-08-03 11:09   ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-08-03 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

>the best you can do is to either make the fontsize smaller

It would decrease the menu readability too much.

>the area wider (less linebreaks)

It would decrease the text area width too much.

>or see of \startsimplecolumns ... \stopsimplecolumns

Although I don't see how adding columns would provide
a solution - the chapter/section titles are in french, i.e.
usually longer than for ex. in english ( they could be
shortened and then most would become meaningless)
- where is that command documented ? I didn't find it in
the main manual, excursion, wiki, texshow.

>helps

Not really I'm afraid.  :O(

Thanks anyway.

Best,
Alan

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Alan Stone wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > With...
> >
> > \startinteractionmenu[right]
> >     \placecontent[..., criterium=chapter (or section), ...]
> > \stopinteractionmenu
> >
> > and chapter/section lists longer than the text area height,
> > how do you prevent the menu items from extending beyond
> > the bottom of the text area (and page) and have the menu
> > scroll down after the menu's bottom chapter/section item ?
> >
> > I tried my luck with distance=\textheight but no luck and don't
> > see any other option which could provide this feature.
>
> it's a fixed size area so the best you can do is to either make the
> fontsize smaller, the area wider (less linebreaks) or see of
> \startsimplecolumns ... \stopsimplecolumns helps
>
> Hans

* Re: menu question
@ 2008-08-03 11:34     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-03 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Stone wrote:
>> the best you can do is to either make the fontsize smaller
>
> It would decrease the menu readability too much.
>
>> the area wider (less linebreaks)
>
> It would decrease the text area width too much.
>
>> or see of \startsimplecolumns ... \stopsimplecolumns
>
> Although I don't see how adding columns would provide
> a solution - the chapter/section titles are in french, i.e.
> usually longer than for ex. in english ( they could be
> shortened and then most would become meaningless)

in that case don't menu's just use local tocs in the text area and use
the menu to refer to them

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: menu question