* \setuplayout question
@ 2008-08-12 13:56 Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-08-12 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some/oftentimes, the more I read the scattered
documentation, the more I'm confused... and
wasting my valuable time testing and trying to
figure out how things work.

Here is, for example, why...

(1) From  \showlayout

topspace       \topspace
top                \topheight

(2) From "ConTeXt An Excursion", page 74

page 71, \setuplayout command parameters

topspace       dimension
top                (not referenced)
topheight       (not referenced)

page 74, table 33.2 parameters for page design.

topspace       \topspace
top                (not referenced)
topheight       \topheight

(3) From "ConTeXt main manual"

page 24, \setuplayout command parameters

topspace       dimension
top                dimension
topheight       (not referenced)

(4) From http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Layout

topspace      \topspace
top               \topheight
topheight       (not referenced)

(5) From http://texshow.contextgarden.net/command/detail/221

topspace       dimension
top                dimension
topheight       (not referenced)

What is

- topspace ?
- top ?
- topheight ?

Please and thank you,
Alan

* Re: \setuplayout question
@ 2008-08-12 16:05 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-08-12 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Stone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some/oftentimes, the more I read the scattered
> documentation, the more I'm confused... and
> wasting my valuable time testing and trying to
> figure out how things work.

(1) main layout areas:

     keywords to \setuplayout: header text footer

     dimension variables: \headerheight etc

(2) space above and below main layout area:

     keywords to \setuplayout: topspace bottomspace

     dimension variables: \topspace, \bottomspace

(3) virtual layout areas: (used for interactive documents where
     one wants to keep the main text area unchanged by setting these;
     the virtual areas extend into the topspace and bottomspace)

     keywords to \setuplayout: top header text footer bottom

     dimension variables: \topheight, \headerheight etc

the system is set up in such a way that one can easily shift the text
area as well as disable header and footer

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: \setuplayout question
@ 2008-08-13 13:25   ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-08-13 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pages and pages and pages skillfully resumed in a few, targeted and simple
lines.

Keyword: the system is set up in such a way that...

Something to consider for the manual updates ?

Thanks a lot Hans,
Alan

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 6:05 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:

> Alan Stone wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Some/oftentimes, the more I read the scattered
> > documentation, the more I'm confused... and
> > wasting my valuable time testing and trying to
> > figure out how things work.
>
> (1) main layout areas:
>
>     keywords to \setuplayout: header text footer
>
>     dimension variables: \headerheight etc
>
> (2) space above and below main layout area:
>
>     keywords to \setuplayout: topspace bottomspace
>
>     dimension variables: \topspace, \bottomspace
>
> (3) virtual layout areas: (used for interactive documents where
>     one wants to keep the main text area unchanged by setting these;
>     the virtual areas extend into the topspace and bottomspace)
>
>     keywords to \setuplayout: top header text footer bottom
>
>     dimension variables: \topheight, \headerheight etc
>
> the system is set up in such a way that one can easily shift the text
> area as well as disable header and footer
>
> Hans

* Manual wishlist (was Re:  \setuplayout question)
@ 2008-08-13 13:46     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-08-13 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Alan Stone wrote:
> Pages and pages and pages skillfully resumed in a few, targeted and
> simple lines.
>
> Keyword: the system is set up in such a way that...
>
> Something to consider for the manual updates ?

A remark from me may be in order: while I am indeed busy working on
some of the manual chapters and by extension it seems that I am indeed
more less in charge of this project, I do *not* keep track of wishlists
or errata except for the chapter(s) I am actively working on myself.

Hints like the one made by Alan above will end up in the void unless
someone (and that someone will not be me) creates and maintains a
wishlist on the wiki or in the contextman project's bug tracker at
foundry.supelec.fr.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: \setuplayout question
@ 2012-10-28 12:57 ` Sietse Brouwer
From: Sietse Brouwer @ 2012-10-28 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Marcin,

The \showlayout produces a page containing the values all the layout variables.
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/showlayout
Do they answer your question, or not quite?
(I'm not too informed qua layout, so I can't help you other than
giving this pointer. Sorry.

Cheers,
Sietse

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 12:35 AM, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> what is the *default* layout?  (I am especially interested in
> bottomspace - in page-lay.mkiv I found bottomspace=0pt, but this seems
> not to be the case - even after \setupfooter[state=stop] text does not
> go to the bottom of the sheet.  Which parameter is responsible for that?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Marcin Borkowski
> http://octd.wmi.amu.edu.pl/en/Marcin_Borkowski
> Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: \setuplayout question
@ 2012-10-26  3:08 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2012-10-26  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 26.10.2012 um 00:35 schrieb Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl>:

> Hello,
>
> what is the *default* layout?  (I am especially interested in
> bottomspace - in page-lay.mkiv I found bottomspace=0pt, but this seems
> not to be the case - even after \setupfooter[state=stop] text does not
> go to the bottom of the sheet.  Which parameter is responsible for that?

When the bottomspace has a height of 0pt context assign the topspace value to the register. To have a document which goes till the bottom of the page you have to calculate the text height.

\setuplayout
  [footer=0pt,
   height=\dimexpr\paperheight-\topspace-\lineheight\relax]

\starttext \showgrid
\dorecurse{3}{\input knuth\par}
\stoptext

Wolfgang