* headers and footers
@ 2008-08-28 17:18 Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-08-28 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Main manual pg 78, § 4.17: \setup*texts *[.1.]* [.2.] [.3.] commands

"When the first argument is left out it is taken for granted that the footer
and header should be place under or over the pagebody (text)."

What does this mean ?

Thanks,
Alan

* Re: headers and footers
@ 2008-08-29  6:33 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-08-29  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 7:18 PM, Alan Stone
<software.list.1es9s@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Main manual pg 78, § 4.17: \setup*texts [.1.] [.2.] [.3.] commands
>
> "When the first argument is left out it is taken for granted that the footer
> and header should be place under or over the pagebody (text)."
>
> What does this mean ?

\setupheadertexts[...][...] is equal to
\setupheadertexts[text][...][...] and place
the header texts above the normal text area.

\setupheadertexts[margin][...][...] place the header texts in the left and
the right margin.

Wolfgang

* Re: headers and footers
@ 2008-08-29  7:57 ` Jano Kula
From: Jano Kula @ 2008-08-29  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi,

Alan Stone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Main manual pg 78, § 4.17: \setup*texts /[.1.]/ [.2.] [.3.] commands
>
> "When the first argument is left out it is taken for granted that the
> footer and header should be place under or over the pagebody (text)."
>
> What does this mean ?

First (optional) parameter defaults to "text" (positioning over/under
"text" area).

This parameter says over/under which page area headers/footers are
placed. One could choose "margin" or "edge" areas also.

Jano

* Re: headers and footers
@ 2008-08-29  8:53   ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-08-29  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok thanks.

Next, pg 80 table 4.5, result column

state       result
none       invisible, no whitespace
empty     one page invisible, whitespace
high        one page visible, no whitespace
stop        invisible, whitespace

What does this mean ?

Best,
Alan

* Re: headers and footers
@ 2008-08-29 10:21     ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-08-29 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Alan Stone wrote:
> Ok thanks.
>
> Next, pg 80 table 4.5, result column
>
> state       result
> none       invisible, no whitespace
> empty     one page invisible, whitespace
> high        one page visible, no whitespace
> stop        invisible, whitespace
>
> What does this mean ?

The first column describes with the content will be visible or not.
The "one page" ones revert to the 'normal' behaviour after one page
(this is useful for e.g. chapter title pages).

The second column controls whether the header/footer gets any space
allocated for its content (on title pages, you may want to use the
full height, including the space that is normally reserved for the
headers/footers).

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: headers and footers
@ 2008-08-29 10:38       ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-08-29 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, today I read the chapter again and I am sure examples in pages
like pp36, pp37 of cont-eni.pdf are wrong.
Zoom your Adobe Reader to 600% and notice the header text.

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
> Alan Stone wrote:
>> Ok thanks.
>>
>> Next, pg 80 table 4.5, result column
>>
>> state       result
>> none       invisible, no whitespace
>> empty     one page invisible, whitespace
>> high        one page visible, no whitespace
>> stop        invisible, whitespace
>>
>> What does this mean ?
>
> The first column describes with the content will be visible or not.
> The "one page" ones revert to the 'normal' behaviour after one page
> (this is useful for e.g. chapter title pages).
>
> The second column controls whether the header/footer gets any space
> allocated for its content (on title pages, you may want to use the
> full height, including the space that is normally reserved for the
> headers/footers).
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

* Re: headers and footers
@ 2008-08-29 11:20         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-08-29 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Yue Wang <yuleopen@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, today I read the chapter again and I am sure examples in pages
> like pp36, pp37 of cont-eni.pdf are wrong.
> Zoom your Adobe Reader to 600% and notice the header text.
>
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
>> Alan Stone wrote:
>>> Ok thanks.
>>>
>>> Next, pg 80 table 4.5, result column
>>>
>>> state       result
>>> none       invisible, no whitespace
>>> empty     one page invisible, whitespace
>>> high        one page visible, no whitespace
>>> stop        invisible, whitespace
>>>
>>> What does this mean ?
>>
>> The first column describes with the content will be visible or not.
>> The "one page" ones revert to the 'normal' behaviour after one page
>> (this is useful for e.g. chapter title pages).
>>
>> The second column controls whether the header/footer gets any space
>> allocated for its content (on title pages, you may want to use the
>> full height, including the space that is normally reserved for the
>> headers/footers).

You mean \setupheadertexts[..][..][..][..].

This was already mentioned a few days ago, it's front side/back side and
not left page/right page.

Wolfgang

* Re: headers and footers
@ 2008-08-29 11:43           ` Yue Wang
From: Yue Wang @ 2008-08-29 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

No. The example and the code do not match. should be corrected.

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 7:20 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Yue Wang <yuleopen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> OK, today I read the chapter again and I am sure examples in pages
>> like pp36, pp37 of cont-eni.pdf are wrong.
>> Zoom your Adobe Reader to 600% and notice the header text.

>>> The first column describes with the content will be visible or not.
>>> The "one page" ones revert to the 'normal' behaviour after one page
>>> (this is useful for e.g. chapter title pages).
>>>
>>> The second column controls whether the header/footer gets any space
>>> allocated for its content (on title pages, you may want to use the
>>> full height, including the space that is normally reserved for the
>>> headers/footers).
>
> You mean \setupheadertexts[..][..][..][..].
>
> This was already mentioned a few days ago, it's front side/back side and
> not left page/right page.
>
> Wolfgang

* Re: headers and footers
@ 2008-08-29 12:23             ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-08-29 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yue Wang wrote:
> No. The example and the code do not match. should be corrected.

I see it too. Almost as if Figure 3.3 and 3.4 are copies of 3.2.

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: headers and footers
@ 2008-08-29 15:06               ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-08-29 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

(1) The main manual mentions (bottom of pg 78) "setting the state is done
for the whole header" and (bottom of page 79) "the keys state, before and
after work on all parts of the pagebody, main text, margins and edges.

So there's no way to set the text/margin/edge states separately ?
( I need different visible/invisible settings for standard, frontapart and
backpart )

(2) pg 80 table 4.5: what's the difference between state=normal and
state=start ?

(3) in \setup*[margin/edge] ( * = top/header/footer/bottom ), how do you
differentiate between
the left and right margin/edge areas ?

Thanks and have a great weekend,
Alan

* Re: headers and footers
@ 2008-09-01 13:31                 ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2008-09-01 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm asking questions (1) and (3) since the main manual was written in 2001.

Best,
Alan

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Alan Stone
<software.list.1es9s@gmail.com>wrote:

> (1) The main manual mentions (bottom of pg 78) "setting the state is done
> for the whole header" and (bottom of page 79) "the keys state, before and
> after work on all parts of the pagebody, main text, margins and edges.
>
> So there's no way to set the text/margin/edge states separately ?
> ( I need different visible/invisible settings for standard, frontapart and
> backpart )
>
> (2) pg 80 table 4.5: what's the difference between state=normal and
> state=start ?
>
> (3) in \setup*[margin/edge] ( * = top/header/footer/bottom ), how do you
> differentiate between
> the left and right margin/edge areas ?
>
> Thanks and have a great weekend,
> Alan

* Re: Headers and footers
@ 2000-10-24  7:09 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-24  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 11:27 PM 10/22/00 -0000, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>Hello, I'm trying to set up headers and footers in my documents.
>
>What I would like to have is the following:
>
>Headers: page number on the outside, "Chapter 1 (<chaptertext>)" on the
>inside
>Footers: empty
>
>except in the pages where chapters begin, in which the Header is empty,
>while the footer has the page number, centered. I then tried the following:
>
>\setupheadertexts[chapter][pagenumber][pagenumber][chapter]
>
>which does almost the right thing in most of the pages: I lack the "Chapter
>1 (...)" part though, and I didn't manage to set it up.

\definetext[chapter][footer][pagenumber]
\setuphead[chapter][header=high,footer=chapter]
\setupheadertexts[pagenumber]
\setupfootertexts[left text][right text]

\chapter{first}  \dorecurse{20}{\input tufte \relax}
\chaoter{second} \dorecurse{20}{\input tufte \relax}

Concerning "chapter 1"

\setupheadertexts[{Chapter \getmarking[chapternumber]}]

>Optionally, I would also like to have a rule between the header and the
>text, and between the text and the footer. How do I set it up?

\setupbackgrounds   probably already in the mail archive

>Also, I would like section numbers to display as the simple number, not as
>chapter.section; how do I set this up in ConTeXt?

\setupsection [section-3] [previousnumber=no]
\chapter {test}
\section {test}

(sections are level 3)

Hans

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Headers and footers
@ 2000-10-22 23:27 Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2000-10-22 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, I'm trying to set up headers and footers in my documents.

What I would like to have is the following:

Headers: page number on the outside, "Chapter 1 (<chaptertext>)" on the
inside
Footers: empty

except in the pages where chapters begin, in which the Header is empty,
while the footer has the page number, centered. I then tried the following:

\setupheadertexts[chapter][pagenumber][pagenumber][chapter]

which does almost the right thing in most of the pages: I lack the "Chapter
1 (...)" part though, and I didn't manage to set it up.

Optionally, I would also like to have a rule between the header and the
text, and between the text and the footer. How do I set it up?

Also, I would like section numbers to display as the simple number, not as
chapter.section; how do I set this up in ConTeXt?

Giuseppe Bilotta

* Re: headers and footers
@ 2000-05-17 15:29 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-17 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 11:14 PM 5/16/2000 +0200, Hraban wrote:

>I'd like to get the pagenumbers at the outer bottom.
>Is the following correct?
>\setupfootertexts[pagenumber][][][pagenumber]

Why not test it -) Don't forget to enable double sided typesetting:

or ={singlesided,doublesided}

saying \showlayout will generate 4 pages.

>In the header I'd like to get the part name on the lefthand side,
>and the chapter on the right.
>\setupheadertexts[part][chapter] ?

Indeed

>And I'd like to have a line below the header and don't know how.

For instance:

\setupbackgrounds[header][text][frame=off,bottomframe=on]
\setuplayout[header=18pt,headerdistance=18pt]

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* headers and footers
@ 2000-05-16 21:14 Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-05-16 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again!

I'm a bit confused with the documentation...

I'd like to get the pagenumbers at the outer bottom.
Is the following correct?
\setupfootertexts[pagenumber][][][pagenumber]

In the header I'd like to get the part name on the lefthand side,
and the chapter on the right.
\setupheadertexts[part][chapter] ?

And I'd like to have a line below the header and don't know how.

Thank you for your valuable help!

--
Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---

* Re: Headers and footers
@ 1999-08-25  7:35 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-08-25  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

David Arnold wrote:

> All,
>
> I tired Hans' idea:
>
> >Or how about:
> >
> >\definebackground
> >  [top][text]
> >  [frame=off,
> >   bottomframe=on,
> >   offset=0pt,
> >   rulethickness=1pt]
>
> But this puts the line on top of my headers, and it puts a line on the

Just change [top] into [header]; now you put a bottomline under the top
areas which is located above the header.

> beginning chapter page, which I do not want. I'm close. Maybe somebody can
> help me over the hump. Here is what I have:

You can give \setuphead[chapter][header=high] a try.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Headers and footers
@ 1999-08-24 23:28     ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 1999-08-24 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

All,

I tired Hans' idea:

>Or how about:
>
>\definebackground
>  [top][text]
>  [frame=off,
>   bottomframe=on,
>   offset=0pt,
>   rulethickness=1pt]

But this puts the line on top of my headers, and it puts a line on the
beginning chapter page, which I do not want. I'm close. Maybe somebody can
help me over the hump. Here is what I have:

\setupbodyfont[11pt]
\setupindenting[medium]

\setuppagenumbering[location=]

\setupheadertexts
 [Chapter {\getmarking[chapternumber][first]}.
{\getmarking[chapter][first]}][pagenumber]
 [Section {\getmarking[sectionnumber][first]}.
{\getmarking[section][first]}][pagenumber]

\definetext
 [start of chapter]
 [footer]
 [pagenumber]

\setuphead
 [chapter]
 [footer=start of chapter,
  header=high]

\setupbackgrounds
  [top][text]
  [frame=off,
   bottomframe=on,
   offset=0pt,
   rulethickness=1pt]

\starttext

\startfrontmatter
 \completecontent
\stopfrontmatter

\startbodymatter

\input chap1/chap1

\input chap2/chap2

\stopbodymatter

\startbackmatter
\stopbackmatter

\startappendices
\stopappendices

\stoptext

* Re: Headers and footers
@ 1999-08-23  8:09     ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1999-08-23  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: David Arnold, ntg-context

Hallo Hans,

>   \setupheadertexts [{\getmarking[chapter][first] -- \pagenumber]
                                                   ^- }

> > Something like \setuplayout[footer=0pt,bottom=1in,textheight=fit]
> > (Somehow doesn't textheight=fit not really work.)
> Because it is 'height'.
I have somehow the feeling it doesn't work. I'll re-try it.

> > > Can I automate this to recognize the name and number of each new chapter
> > > and section? Or will I have to do this by hand for each chapter? In either
> > > case, how can I accomplish this in Context?
> > See above. I failed though to insert the number and a 'Chapter: '.
> > You could do something like [\pagenumber\hfill Chapter:
> > \WhichCommandGivesYouTheChapterName/Number?].
>
> See earlier: \getmarking
>
> > > If I wanted, how could I underline each header?
> > \setupheader[after=\hairline] ?
>
> Or how about:
>
> \definebackground
>   [top][text]
>   [frame=off,
>    bottomframe=on,
>    offset=0pt,
>    rulethickness=1pt]
>
> Hans

>       tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.nl

Tobias Burnus
Troppauer Str. 15
12205 Berlin
"This above all: To thine own self be true / And it must follow as the day the
night /
Thou canst not then be false to anyone."                  Polonius to Laertis
(Hamlet)

* Re: Headers and footers
@ 1999-08-22 20:01   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-08-22 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: David Arnold, ntg-context

Tobias Burnus wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> > 2. On even pages (left-hand pages), I want the following:
> >
> > 202                    Chapter 3. Gaussian Elimination
> >
> > 3. On odd pages (right-hand pages), I want the following:
> >
> > Section 2. A Most Versatile Algorithm               203
>
> How about something like the following. (Note this isn't complete).
> [Does someone know, which command gives you the chapter name and or number?]
>
> \setupheadertexts
>              [pagenumber][chapter]
>              [pagenumber][section]

  [chapter] gives you the name, [chapternumber] the number

low level:

  \setupheadertexts [{\getmarking[chapter][first]}] etc

and \pagenumber gives you the pagenumber, so guess what happens now:

  \setupheadertexts [{\getmarking[chapter][first] -- \pagenumber]

> \setuphead
>   [chapter]
>   [header=empty]

Indeed. You can even define specific headers, dutch example (copied):

\definieertekst[hoofdstuk][voet][paginanummer]
\stelkopin[hoofdstuk][hoofd=hoog,voet=hoofdstuk]
\stelhoofdtekstenin[paginanummer]

So here the pagenumber goes into middle of the header line but on
chapter pages it goes into the footer.

@ 1999-08-22 12:42 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 1999-08-22 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi David,

> 2. On even pages (left-hand pages), I want the following:
>
> 202                    Chapter 3. Gaussian Elimination
>
> 3. On odd pages (right-hand pages), I want the following:
>
> Section 2. A Most Versatile Algorithm               203

How about something like the following. (Note this isn't complete).
[Does someone know, which command gives you the chapter name and or number?]

\setupheadertexts
             [pagenumber][chapter]
             [pagenumber][section]
\setuphead
  [chapter]
  [header=empty]

> 1. I want no footers and no more than an inch of whitespace at the bottom
> of each page.
Something like \setuplayout[footer=0pt,bottom=1in,textheight=fit]
(Somehow doesn't textheight=fit not really work.)

> Can I automate this to recognize the name and number of each new chapter
> and section? Or will I have to do this by hand for each chapter? In either
> case, how can I accomplish this in Context?
See above. I failed though to insert the number and a 'Chapter: '.
You could do something like [\pagenumber\hfill Chapter:
\WhichCommandGivesYouTheChapterName/Number?].

> If I wanted, how could I underline each header?
\setupheader[after=\hairline] ?

Tobias
PS: I hope I gave you some pointers until someone else, who really knows what
happens, jumps in.

* Headers and footers
@ 1999-08-22  7:45 David Arnold