* Can't compile LuaTeX beta 0.35.0 (on OS X)
@ 2009-02-24 19:48 Andreas Harder
From: Andreas Harder @ 2009-02-24 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hello,

if I try to compile the actual LuaTeX beta, the compilation ends with the following error:

ld: in ../../libs/luasocket/src/socket.a, archive has no table of contents
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [luatex] Error 1

I'm on Mac OS X 10.5.6 (Intel) and checked out the source from svn://scm.foundry.supelec.fr/svn/luatex/tags/beta-0.35.0

Du I miss something? Or is there another way to get the current binaries for OS X?

Thank you in advance,

	Andreas

* Re: Can't compile LuaTeX beta 0.35.0 (on OS X)
@ 2009-02-25 11:15 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
                     ` (4 more replies)
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-02-25 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 24, 2009, at 8:48 PM, Andreas Harder wrote:

> Hello,
>
> if I try to compile the actual LuaTeX beta, the compilation ends
> with the following error:
>
> ld: in ../../libs/luasocket/src/socket.a, archive has no table of
> contents
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [luatex] Error 1
>
> I'm on Mac OS X 10.5.6 (Intel) and checked out the source from svn://
> scm.foundry.supelec.fr/svn/luatex/tags/beta-0.35.0
>
> Du I miss something? Or is there another way to get the current
> binaries for OS X?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> 	Andreas

It compiles normally here (10.5.6, Intel). Hasn't Mojca added the
binary to the minimals? We really should cut her bonus at the end of
the year :-)

If it isn't in the minimals, I'll see if I can upload it to the garden.

Thomas

* Re: Can't compile LuaTeX beta 0.35.0 (on OS X)
@ 2009-02-25 11:21   ` luigi scarso
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: luigi scarso @ 2009-02-25 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It compiles normally here (10.5.6, Intel). Hasn't Mojca added the binary to
> the minimals? We really should cut her bonus at the end of the year :-)
and raise the fixed....

--
luigi

* Re: Can't compile LuaTeX beta 0.35.0 (on OS X)
@ 2009-02-25 11:21   ` Wolfgang Schuster
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-02-25 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 25.02.2009 um 12:15 schrieb Thomas A. Schmitz:

> It compiles normally here (10.5.6, Intel). Hasn't Mojca added the
> binary to the minimals?

I don't think so, the last stable release needs 0.31.3.

Wolfgang

* Re: Can't compile LuaTeX beta 0.35.0 (on OS X)
@ 2009-02-25 11:24   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2009-02-25 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> It compiles normally here (10.5.6, Intel). Hasn't Mojca added the binary
> to the minimals? We really should cut her bonus at the end of the year :-)

She surely would have done so already if we hadn't all told her to
'brake a leg' in Bohinj. :)

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: Can't compile LuaTeX beta 0.35.0 (on OS X)
@ 2009-02-25 12:06     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2009-02-25 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 25, 2009, at 12:24 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> She surely would have done so already if we hadn't all told her to
> 'brake a leg' in Bohinj. :)
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

Oops, is Mojca ill? Anyway, I see that the linux minimals now have the
0.35 luatex. Would anything speak against updating the osx binaries as
well? I could do it today, if need be (and if my access works).

Thomas

* Re: Can't compile LuaTeX beta 0.35.0 (on OS X)
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-02-25 14:32   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-02-25 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:15, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2009, at 8:48 PM, Andreas Harder wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> if I try to compile the actual LuaTeX beta, the compilation ends with the
>> following error:
>>
>> ld: in ../../libs/luasocket/src/socket.a, archive has no table of contents
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make: *** [luatex] Error 1
>>
>> I'm on Mac OS X 10.5.6 (Intel) and checked out the source from
>> svn://scm.foundry.supelec.fr/svn/luatex/tags/beta-0.35.0
>>
>> Du I miss something? Or is there another way to get the current binaries
>> for OS X?
>>
>> Thank you in advance,
>>
>>        Andreas
>>
> It compiles normally here (10.5.6, Intel). Hasn't Mojca added the binary to
> the minimals? We really should cut her bonus at the end of the year :-)
>
> If it isn't in the minimals, I'll see if I can upload it to the garden.

I'm sorry. I have only limited access to internet (I delegated the
work to other people in the meantime, but well ...). I'm building the
binaries now (so hopefully they should be there a few minutes after I
send this mail unless compilation fails here as well).

Nevertheless it would be nice to fix the building error if possible.
It might pop up on other platforms as well.

I'm sorry about linux. Luigi's binaries don't work properly on all
computers, and we don't have the old contextgarden server any more. I
had to revert the version and I have to see if we can get the luatex
binary from some other source.

Next problem is that I'm now away (with extremely limited internet
access), Taco and Hans are leaving as well ...
I probably need to "unlock" the beta now since luatex has been
released (though I didn't check if we have binaries for all the
platforms).

I kind of expect a few problems. "current" will probably break now - I
doubt that it still works with the latest luatex. "beta" might be
unsynchronised for some time and math is not completely polished yet.

I would say: if you have some critical project: do not try to update
in the next few days.

Mojca

* Re: Can't compile LuaTeX beta 0.35.0 (on OS X)
@ 2009-02-25 18:36     ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2009-02-25 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Mojca Miklavec

On Wednesday 25 February 2009 15:32:02 Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Next problem is that I'm now away (with extremely limited internet
> access), Taco and Hans are leaving as well ...

What, you are all leaving us stranded?

> I kind of expect a few problems. "current" will probably break now - I
> doubt that it still works with the latest luatex. "beta" might be
> unsynchronised for some time and math is not completely polished yet.

Do WE think that it is OK to go away leaving new math not compeletely polished?

> I would say: if you have some critical project: do not try to update
> in the next few days.

Lucky, it is wise to keep a working (recent/"way too old") backup copy
hanging around...

* Re: Can't compile LuaTeX beta 0.35.0 (on OS X)
                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-02-26  8:33   ` Alan Stone
From: Alan Stone @ 2009-02-26  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz <
thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> It compiles normally here (10.5.6, Intel). Hasn't Mojca added the binary to
> the minimals? We really should cut her bonus at the end of the year :-)

Mojca, if I may, a precious tip regarding your end of year bonus...

Do what bankers do these days. For "goodness" sake, don't call it a bonus
but a reward or give it some some other fancy name so nobody will notice or
mind.

Umpffff...   ;O)

Alan

* Re: Can't compile LuaTeX beta 0.35.0 (on OS X)
@ 2009-02-28 16:47       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-02-28 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Answering with a bit of delay.)

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 13:06, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> On Feb 25, 2009, at 12:24 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>
>> She surely would have done so already if we hadn't all told her to
>> 'brake a leg' in Bohinj. :)
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Taco
>
> Oops, is Mojca ill? Anyway, I see that the linux minimals now have the 0.35
> luatex.

> Would anything speak against updating the osx binaries as well?

Yes, Shrove Tuesday/Carnival (Faschingsdienstag). Sorry, but that's
not a working day!!!

Even if half of me would be missing, I would still attend and dance :)
:) :) I just forgot to throw away part of the carnival uniform like
walking sticks, that's all.

> I could do it today, if need be (and if my access works).

You have never complained, so your rights flew away with the old
server (some files were not updated), but it it should be OK again.
Just go forward next time. I hope that binaries compiled on Leopard
work on older macs. (We can do some tests before if needed or just
wait on other users' complaints like we did for linux.)

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 09:33, Alan Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>>
>> It compiles normally here (10.5.6, Intel). Hasn't Mojca added the binary
>> to the minimals? We really should cut her bonus at the end of the year :-)
>
> Mojca, if I may, a precious tip regarding your end of year bonus...
>
> Do what bankers do these days. For "goodness" sake, don't call it a bonus
> but a reward or give it some some other fancy name so nobody will notice or
> mind.
>
> Umpffff...   ;O)

No problem, I got my beginning-of-year bonus already plus two or three
weeks of payed holidays with highly reduced internet access (also
bonus) and some nobel metals. I don't want any more of it.

Mojca