Thank you Alan. Yes, I have seen the possibility of generating automatically the labels but unfortunately the problem remains when you move the subfigure. In the meantime, I have tried this: \startplacefigure [number=no] \startcombination [nx=3] {figure 1} {\incrementcounter[figure]\textreference[pic1]{\getnumber[figure]}\in[pic1]} {figure 2} {...similar...} {figure 3} {...similar...} \stopcombination \stopplacefigure and then \in[pic1] in the body of the text, which looked very promising; the trouble is that for some reason that i do not understand, the \in[pic1] in the label of the picture works ok, but anywhere else in the text, either before of after the placefigure environment, it generates a reference to the last picture produced, that is pic3 after and pic0, say, before. I though it was aproblem of expanding the figure counter and added \expanded either before \getnumber of \textreference, but with no luck... Luca On Jul 30 2019, at 4:52 pm, Alan Braslau wrote: > On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 11:20:03 +0200 > Luca Mauri wrote: > > > I am trying to typeset two or more figures next to each other, inside a floating environment, each with its own label. I am familiar with a mechanism of the form > > \startplacefigure[reference=pic] > > \startcombination[3*1] > > {figure 1}{a} > > {figure 2}{b} > > {figure 3}{c} > > \stopcombination > > \stopplacefigure > > > This does not answer your question, but do you know about: > \startplacefigure > \startcombination [nx=3,alternative=label] > {figure 1} > {figure 2} > {figure 3} > \stopcombination > \stopplacefigure > > Alan