* structuring Context code using \input statements.
@ 2011-02-07 21:39 John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2011-02-07 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

In all forms of TeX it is my custom to start with a brief main file and
call the various components of the document into the input stream with
\input statements. The termination of the document is in the main file
with a \stoptext statement.

This works well with pdftex documents and also with
MKII documents. But it fails with MKIV documents. The Context program
will read and use an inserted program but will not return to the main
text stream in the file that did the inputting. It just displays an *
and hangs. Are there new rules in MKIV about breaking up a document
into separate files and inserting these in sequence via \input
statements?
--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus:

* Re: structuring Context code using \input statements.
@ 2011-02-07 22:55 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-02-07 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 7 Feb 2011, John Culleton wrote:

> In all forms of TeX it is my custom to start with a brief main file and
> call the various components of the document into the input stream with
> \input statements. The termination of the document is in the main file
> with a \stoptext statement.
>
> This works well with pdftex documents and also with
> MKII documents. But it fails with MKIV documents.

Con you provide a minimal example? This works fine:

\starttext
\input knuth
\stoptext

Aditya

* Re: structuring Context code using \input statements.
@ 2011-02-07 23:07 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-02-07 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7-2-2011 10:39, John Culleton wrote:
> In all forms of TeX it is my custom to start with a brief main file and
> call the various components of the document into the input stream with
> \input statements. The termination of the document is in the main file
> with a \stoptext statement.
>
> This works well with pdftex documents and also with
> MKII documents. But it fails with MKIV documents. The Context program
> will read and use an inserted program but will not return to the main
> text stream in the file that did the inputting. It just displays an *
> and hangs. Are there new rules in MKIV about breaking up a document
> into separate files and inserting these in sequence via \input
> statements?

maybe you have an extra \starttext somewhere

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2011-02-08 14:35   ` John Culleton
From: John Culleton @ 2011-02-08 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Monday 07 February 2011 18:07:29 Hans Hagen wrote:
> On 7-2-2011 10:39, John Culleton wrote:
> > In all forms of TeX it is my custom to start with a brief main
> > file and call the various components of the document into the
> > input stream with \input statements. The termination of the
> > document is in the main file with a \stoptext statement.
> >
> > This works well with pdftex documents and also with
> > MKII documents. But it fails with MKIV documents. The Context
> > program will read and use an inserted program but will not return
> > to the main text stream in the file that did the inputting. It
> > just displays an * and hangs. Are there new rules in MKIV about
> > breaking up a document into separate files and inserting these in
> > sequence via \input statements?
>
> maybe you have an extra \starttext somewhere
>
> Hans

That was it. Now it works.
--

@ 2011-02-08 14:35     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2011-02-08 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 08.02.2011 um 15:35 schrieb John Culleton:

> On Monday 07 February 2011 18:07:29 Hans Hagen wrote:
>> maybe you have an extra \starttext somewhere
>>
>> Hans
>
> That was it. Now it works.

Use \startproduct, \startcomponent etc. to prevent such problems.

Wolfgang