* How to define Small Caps when installing a new font (repost)
@ 2004-07-07 16:37 Fabio Fogliuzzi
From: Fabio Fogliuzzi @ 2004-07-07 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excuse me if this message will be posted twice. In the first post I
inadvertently used  my work e-mail address which is not registered in
this forum.

A question about fonts. I have successfully installed (for the first
time) a font using the texfont utility and creating both small caps and
slanted variants of the font.
I wrote the following typescript saved in a file named 'Typeface.tex':

\starttypescript [map] [texnansi]
\loadmapfile [texnansi-bertholdag-grotesk-akzidenz]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [grotesk] [name]
\definefontsynonym[Sans] [AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended]
\definefontsynonym[SansItalic] [AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended-Italic]
\definefontsynonym[SansSlanted] [AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended-Slanted]
\definefontsynonym[SansBold] [AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended-Bold]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldItalic] [AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended-BoldItalic]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldSlanted][AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended-
BoldSlanted]
\definefontsynonym[SansCaps] [AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended-Caps]
\definefontsynonym[SansItalicCaps]
[AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended-Italic-Caps]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldCaps] [AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended-Bold-Caps]
\definefontsynonym[SansBoldItalicCaps]
[AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended-BoldItalic-Caps]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [sans] [grotesk] [texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended] [texnansi-gflex]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended-Italic] [texnansi-gflex]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended-Bold] [texnansi-gfmex]
[encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended-BoldItalic]
[texnansi-gfmex-slanted-167] [encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended-Slanted]
[texnansi-gflex-slanted-167] [encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended-BoldSlanted]
[texnansi-gfmex-slanted-167] [encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended-Caps]
[texnansi-gflex-capitalized-800] [encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended-Italic-Caps]
[texnansi-gflex-capitalized-800-slanted-167] [encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended-Bold-Caps]
[texnansi-gfmex-capitalized-800] [encoding=texnansi]
\definefontsynonym [AkzidenzGrotesk-Extended-BoldItalic-Caps]
[texnansi-gfmex-capitalized-800-slanted-167] [encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript

\starttypescript [akzidenzgrotesk]
   \definetypeface [AkzidenzGrotesk] [ss] [sans] [mixgroteskcmr]
[default] [encoding=texnansi]
\stoptypescript

  and in the  file to typeset I wrote:

\usetypescriptfile[Typeface]
\usetypescript[AkzidenzGrotesk]
\setupbodyfont[AkzidenzGrotesk,ss]

All seems to work as expected, except for the use of the
SansItalicCaps, SansBoldCaps and SansBoldItalicCaps variants.
What is the correct way to define a font so that {\bf \sc Some Text}
get typeset in the SansBoldCaps variant of the font?
A similar question exists for {\it \sc Some Text}, {\bi \sc Some Text}
etc.
I have read chapter 5.3 of the Context manual and the 'Fonts in
Context' without finding a hint.

Every hint (for a beginner) will be appreciated.

F. Fogliuzzi

* Re: How to define Small Caps when installing a new font (repost)
@ 2004-07-08  2:11 ` Matt Gushee
From: Matt Gushee @ 2004-07-08  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 06:37:12PM +0200, Fabio Fogliuzzi wrote:

> A question about fonts. I have successfully installed (for the first
> time) a font using the texfont utility and creating both small caps and
> slanted variants of the font.
> I wrote the following typescript saved in a file named 'Typeface.tex':

> All seems to work as expected, except for the use of the
> SansItalicCaps, SansBoldCaps and SansBoldItalicCaps variants.

I don't have a definitive answer, but looking at the built-in ConTeXt
modules will give you an important clue: the names SerifCaps, SansCaps,
and MonoCaps appear in a number of places, e.g. in font-map.tex:

    \definebodyfont [14.4pt,...]
      [tf=Serif      sa 1.06,
       sc=SerifCaps  sa 1.06]

But the variants you are trying to use don't occur at all, which
suggests that ConTeXt has no way to recognize the combination of
small caps with bold or italic. It would be nice if it did.

mgushee@havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)

* Re: How to define Small Caps when installing a new font (repost)
@ 2004-07-08  9:21 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2004-07-08  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 07.07.2004 um 18:37 schrieb Fabio Fogliuzzi:
> All seems to work as expected, except for the use of the
> SansItalicCaps, SansBoldCaps and SansBoldItalicCaps variants.
> What is the correct way to define a font so that {\bf \sc Some Text}
> get typeset in the SansBoldCaps variant of the font?

No chance.
You can only define Caps as a new font family and always switch to it.

Perhaps have a look at my sample typescripts at
http://www.ramm.ch/fiee/texnique/?menu=0-1-4&lang=en
(press refresh if the page doesn't load)

More links about fonts in ConTeXt see the Wiki:
http://members.ping.de:8062/context/show/Fonts

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/