* PDF page numbers
@ 2008-12-09 10:53 Derek CORDEIRO
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Derek CORDEIRO @ 2008-12-09 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

In latex + book/memoir + hyperref, if \frontmatter \mainmatter are used, the
pdf files generated use the roman numbers in the pdf itself. It appears as
ii (2 of 500) in the pdfviewer. Is it possible to do the same with ConTeXt?

Is there any introduction to using fonts(typefaces) in ConTeXt? I find
myself stumbling on simple things(I'm a beginner). For example, the
following works fine.

\usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
\usetypescript[palatino]
\setupbodyfont[palatino,11pt]

but the following does not work.

\usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
\usetypescript[schoolbook][ec]
\setupbodyfont[schoolbook,11pt]

I have tried with and older distribution of ConTeXt which comes along with
Fedora 10 as well as with ConTeXt minimals. Incidentally if I use
\definetypeface[schola][rm][serif][schola][default][encoding=t5] it works
fine. What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Derek

* Re: PDF page numbers
@ 2008-12-09 12:27 ` Mojca Miklavec
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-12-09 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Derek,

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Derek CORDEIRO wrote:
> I find
> myself stumbling on simple things(I'm a beginner). For example, the
> following works fine.
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
> \usetypescript[palatino]
> \setupbodyfont[palatino,11pt]
>
> but the following does not work.
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
> \usetypescript[schoolbook][ec]
> \setupbodyfont[schoolbook,11pt]

Some definitions/mappings are missing in the core.
This should work in next version of ConTeXt and you will not need
\usetypescriptfile[type-gyr] any more.

> I have tried with and older distribution of ConTeXt which comes along with
> Fedora 10 as well as with ConTeXt minimals. Incidentally if I use
> \definetypeface[schola][rm][serif][schola][default][encoding=t5] it works
> fine. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing. You are just using an "ancient" version of ConTeXt ... and
you should not take my comment too seriously :) :) :)

Mojca

* Re: PDF page numbers
@ 2008-12-09 13:00 ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2008-12-09 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Dereck

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Derek CORDEIRO <derekcordeiro@gmail.com> wrote:
> In latex + book/memoir + hyperref, if \frontmatter \mainmatter are used, the
> pdf files generated use the roman numbers in the pdf itself. It appears as
> ii (2 of 500) in the pdfviewer. Is it possible to do the same with ConTeXt?

Some dirty staffs I've done here:
http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2008/035378.html
Mind take a look?

> Is there any introduction to using fonts(typefaces) in ConTeXt? I find
> myself stumbling on simple things(I'm a beginner). For example, the
> following works fine.
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
> \usetypescript[palatino]
> \setupbodyfont[palatino,11pt]
>
> but the following does not work.
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
> \usetypescript[schoolbook][ec]
> \setupbodyfont[schoolbook,11pt]
>
> I have tried with and older distribution of ConTeXt which comes along with
> Fedora 10 as well as with ConTeXt minimals. Incidentally if I use
> \definetypeface[schola][rm][serif][schola][default][encoding=t5] it works
> fine. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Regards,
> Derek

Best Regards
Chen

          Zhi-chu Chen | Shanghai Synchrotron Radiation Facility
         No. 2019 | Jialuo Rd. | Jiading | Shanghai | P.R. China
             tel: 086 21 5955 3405 | zhichu.chen.googlepages.com
                                               | www.sinap.ac.cn

* Re: PDF page numbers
@ 2008-12-09 15:00 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2008-12-09 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Derek CORDEIRO wrote:

> In latex + book/memoir + hyperref, if \frontmatter \mainmatter are used, the
> pdf files generated use the roman numbers in the pdf itself. It appears as
> ii (2 of 500) in the pdfviewer. Is it possible to do the same with ConTeXt?

AFAIK, ConTeXt cannot do this out of the box right now. It would be nice
feature to have.

> Is there any introduction to using fonts(typefaces) in ConTeXt?

Have a look at the new manual, which explains how to use fonts in detail.

http://context.aanhet.net/svn/contextman/context-reference/en/co-fonts.pdf
http://context.aanhet.net/svn/contextman/context-reference/en/co-typography.pdf

> I find myself stumbling on simple things(I'm a beginner).

Also have a look at http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/showfont.pdf
which is old, but gives an overview of many fonts.

Aditya

* Re: PDF page numbers
@ 2008-12-10 16:05   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2008-12-10 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dnia Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 01:27:01PM +0100, Mojca Miklavec napisa&#322;(a):
> Hello Derek,
>
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Derek CORDEIRO wrote:
> > I find
> > myself stumbling on simple things(I'm a beginner). For example, the
> > following works fine.
> >
> > \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
> > \usetypescript[palatino]
> > \setupbodyfont[palatino,11pt]
> >
> > but the following does not work.
> >
> > \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
> > \usetypescript[schoolbook][ec]
> > \setupbodyfont[schoolbook,11pt]
>
> Some definitions/mappings are missing in the core.
> This should work in next version of ConTeXt and you will not need
> \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr] any more.

Just out of curiosity: what do you mean by "next version"?  Next beta or
MkV;)?

Greets

--
Marcin Borkowski (http://mbork.pl)

888 * Nie lękaj się * Ja zawsze będę z Tobą!

* Re: PDF page numbers
@ 2008-12-10 16:20     ` Derek CORDEIRO
From: Derek CORDEIRO @ 2008-12-10 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/12/10 Marcin Borkowski <mbork@atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl>

> Dnia Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 01:27:01PM +0100, Mojca Miklavec napisa&#322;(a):
> > Hello Derek,
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Derek CORDEIRO wrote:
> > > I find
> > > myself stumbling on simple things(I'm a beginner). For example, the
> > > following works fine.
> > >
> > > \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
> > > \usetypescript[palatino]
> > > \setupbodyfont[palatino,11pt]
> > >
> > > but the following does not work.
> > >
> > > \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
> > > \usetypescript[schoolbook][ec]
> > > \setupbodyfont[schoolbook,11pt]
> >
> > Some definitions/mappings are missing in the core.
> > This should work in next version of ConTeXt and you will not need
> > \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr] any more.
>
> Just out of curiosity: what do you mean by "next version"?  Next beta or
> MkV;)?

I was tempted to ask the same question :)

BTW, Is there anyway to report errors in the user manual(cont-eni.pdf, not
the beginners manual, I found the wiki page for that)?

Blog: http://www.derekcordeiro.com
Follow Me: http://twitter.com/derekcordeiro

* Re: PDF page numbers
@ 2008-12-10 17:28       ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-12-10 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Derek CORDEIRO wrote:

> BTW, Is there anyway to report errors in the user manual(cont-eni.pdf,
> not the beginners manual, I found the wiki page for that)?

Here on the mailing list is not the worst place, or a new page on the
wiki, but best is at the tracker for the new reference manual (w.i.p.):

   http://foundry.supelec.fr/projects/contextman

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: PDF page numbers
@ 2008-12-10 19:00       ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-12-10 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Derek CORDEIRO wrote:
> 2008/12/10 Marcin Borkowski wrote:
>> Dnia Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 01:27:01PM +0100, Mojca Miklavec
>> > Some definitions/mappings are missing in the core.
>> > This should work in next version of ConTeXt and you will not need
>> > \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr] any more.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity: what do you mean by "next version"?  Next beta or
>> MkV;)?
>
> I was tempted to ask the same question :)

MkVIII of course. There will be no MkV.

Well ... back to reality. Next beta or alpha or current or whatever
Hans decides to upload once he's back from Brno.

Since you were asking ... here's a patch. Feel free to provide feedback.

Mojca

[-- Attachment #2: gyre.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 20648 bytes --]

* Re: PDF page numbers
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-12-15 22:10 ` Mohamed Bana
From: Mohamed Bana @ 2008-12-15 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Derek CORDEIRO wrote:
> In latex + book/memoir + hyperref, if \frontmatter \mainmatter are used,
> the pdf files generated use the roman numbers in the pdf itself. It
> appears as ii (2 of 500) in the pdfviewer. Is it possible to do the same
> with ConTeXt?

It would be great if ConTeXt could.

> Is there any introduction to using fonts(typefaces) in ConTeXt? I find
> myself stumbling on simple things(I'm a beginner). For example, the
> following works fine.
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
> \usetypescript[palatino]
> \setupbodyfont[palatino,11pt]
>
> but the following does not work.
>
> \usetypescriptfile[type-gyr]
> \usetypescript[schoolbook][ec]
> \setupbodyfont[schoolbook,11pt]
>
> I have tried with and older distribution of ConTeXt which comes along
> with Fedora 10 as well as with ConTeXt minimals. Incidentally if I use
> \definetypeface[schola][rm][serif][schola][default][encoding=t5] it
> works fine. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Regards,
> Derek

* Re: PDF page numbers
@ 2008-12-16  8:33   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-12-16  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mohamed Bana wrote:
> Derek CORDEIRO wrote:
>> In latex + book/memoir + hyperref, if \frontmatter \mainmatter are
>> used, the pdf files generated use the roman numbers in the pdf itself.
>> It appears as ii (2 of 500) in the pdfviewer. Is it possible to do the
>> same with ConTeXt?
>
> It would be great if ConTeXt could.

Doesn't sound like rocket science. Perhaps someone could dig up the
latex code that does this ?

Taco

* Re: PDF page numbers
@ 2008-12-16  8:47     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-12-16  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Mohamed Bana wrote:
>> Derek CORDEIRO wrote:
>>> In latex + book/memoir + hyperref, if \frontmatter \mainmatter are
>>> used, the pdf files generated use the roman numbers in the pdf itself.
>>> It appears as ii (2 of 500) in the pdfviewer. Is it possible to do the
>>> same with ConTeXt?
>> It would be great if ConTeXt could.

sure, since it's just a page resource; i think i even played with it and
dropped it when i got funny printing side effects (when selecting pages)
in older versions of teh viewer

> Doesn't sound like rocket science. Perhaps someone could dig up the
> latex code that does this ?

something for the mkiv backend

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: PDF page numbers
@ 2008-12-16  9:10     ` Zhichu Chen
From: Zhichu Chen @ 2008-12-16  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:

> Mohamed Bana wrote:
>> Derek CORDEIRO wrote:
>>> In latex + book/memoir + hyperref, if \frontmatter \mainmatter are
>>> used, the pdf files generated use the roman numbers in the pdf itself.
>>> It appears as ii (2 of 500) in the pdfviewer. Is it possible to do the
>>> same with ConTeXt?
>>
>> It would be great if ConTeXt could.
>
> Doesn't sound like rocket science. Perhaps someone could dig up the
> latex code that does this ?

Does the following code work for you?
\pdfcompresslevel 0

\setupinteraction
  [state=start,
   focus=width,
   page=yes,
   openaction=firstpage,
   click=no,
   title=TEST,
   author=Neals,
   subtitle=Test,
   keyword={test}]

\setupcolors
  [state=start]

\newcount\FrontPageNumbers

\setupsubpagenumber[way=bytext,state=start]
\setuppagenumbering[location=]

\startsectionblockenvironment[frontpart]
 \setupfootertexts[pagenumber]
 \setuppagenumbering[conversion=romannumerals]
\stopsectionblockenvironment

\startsectionblockenvironment[bodypart]
 \global\FrontPageNumbers=\pagenumber
 \global\advance\FrontPageNumbers\minusone
 \setuppagenumber[number=1]
 \resetsubpagenumber
%  \setupfootertexts[\the\FrontPageNumbers]
 \setupfootertexts[pagenumber]
\stopsectionblockenvironment

\startsectionblockenvironment[backpart]
 \resetsubpagenumber
\stopsectionblockenvironment

\def\PageLabels{\pdfcatalog{/PageLabels << /Nums [ 0 << /S /r >>
\the\FrontPageNumbers << /S /D >> ] >>  >>}}

\prependtoks
  \PageLabels
\to \everystoptext

\starttext