* TIPA in Context
@ 2004-05-26 12:32 sjoerdsiebinga
From: sjoerdsiebinga @ 2004-05-26 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am currently converting my Old Frisian Etymological dictionary from LaTeX to
Context and I have run into two problems.

The first problem is that I am using the  TIPA package to typeset phonological
fonts and diactitica. Is there a way to use the TIPA font in Context?

The second problem is that the dictionary has 142 seperate language indexes
with over 32000 index markers in the standard latex index format
\index[language_abbreviation]{...}. Is there an easy way to write one new
(TeX) definition which interprets these markers in such a way that Context
accepts.

Sjoerd

Zon Gratis ADSL. De voordelen van gratis internet met de snelheid van
ADSL. Zonder abonnementskosten en zonder vast contract. Je betaalt
alleen voor de tijd online. Nu zonder aansluitkosten en met gratis
modem. Bestel snel op zonnet.nl.

* Re: TIPA in Context
@ 2004-05-26 13:32 ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2004-05-26 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, Sjoerd.

Interesting problem.

I just looked at <http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb17-2/tb51rei.pdf>

Yes, it sounds like there's a way of using the TIPA *font* in ConTeXt.
However, it seems like the job of adapting all of the TIPA package and
the T3 encoding for ConTeXt is not trivial. Still, it seems like some
degree of support can be hacked.

First off, for your dictionary, what do you use for input?
is it "F@n" or "\textphi\textschwa n"?

Are all of your IPA commands contained within a \textipa{} macro?

Which of the special macros do you use? \* \; \: \!

Do you use the \super macro much? Does it ever get nested? (Hans's
\high{} macro acts a little differently.)

You can play with the basic set of glyphs with as little as:
\startfont[tipa12]
[""Ekspl@"neIS@n]
\stopfont

...but I presume you want deeper support than that. Which do you need first?

adam

sjoerdsiebinga@zonnet.nl said this at Wed, 26 May 2004 14:32:46 +0200:

>I am currently converting my Old Frisian Etymological dictionary from
LaTeX to
>Context and I have run into two problems.
>
>The first problem is that I am using the  TIPA package to typeset
phonological
>fonts and diactitica. Is there a way to use the TIPA font in Context?
>
>The second problem is that the dictionary has 142 seperate language indexes
>with over 32000 index markers in the standard latex index format
>\index[language_abbreviation]{...}. Is there an easy way to write one new
>(TeX) definition which interprets these markers in such a way that Context
>accepts.

 Adam T. Lindsay                      atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Computing Dept, Lancaster University   +44(0)1524/594.537
 Lancaster, LA1 4YR, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/593.608

* Re: TIPA in Context
@ 2004-05-26 16:32   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-05-26 16:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 15:32 26/05/2004, Adam Lindsay wrote:

>Interesting problem.

indeed

>I just looked at <http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb17-2/tb51rei.pdf>
>
>Yes, it sounds like there's a way of using the TIPA *font* in ConTeXt.
>However, it seems like the job of adapting all of the TIPA package and
>the T3 encoding for ConTeXt is not trivial. Still, it seems like some
>degree of support can be hacked.
>
>First off, for your dictionary, what do you use for input?
>is it "F@n" or "\textphi\textschwa n"?

that's the right approach: what do you want, what interface suits best; i
can provide hooks/low level features if needed; so go ahead !

Hans

* Re: TIPA in Context
@ 2004-05-27  8:10   ` sjoerdsiebinga
From: sjoerdsiebinga @ 2004-05-27  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Adam Lindsay

Citeren Adam Lindsay <atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk>:

> First off, for your dictionary, what do you use for input?
> is it "F@n" or "\textphi\textschwa n"?

Al my input is in commands like " \textschwa".

> Are all of your IPA commands contained within a \textipa{} macro?

Only a minority of my commands are within the \textipa{} macro.

> Which of the special macros do you use? \* \; \: \!

None

> Do you use the \super macro much? Does it ever get nested? (Hans's
> \high{} macro acts a little differently.)

I use the \super macro quite often but it is not nested in the \textipa{} macro.

> ...but I presume you want deeper support than that. Which do you need
> first?

A great number of symbols I use (especially the Indo-European ones) are only available through the IPA
commands, therefore it seems that I need some deeper support.  I read your UnicodeSymbol pdf  about unicode
mapping and wondered if there might be a similar way to map the TIPA font?

Sjoerd

@ 2004-06-04 10:18     ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2004-06-04 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

sjoerdsiebinga@zonnet.nl said this at Thu, 27 May 2004 10:10:54 +0200:

>Citeren Adam Lindsay <atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk>:
>>
>> First off, for your dictionary, what do you use for input?
>> is it "F@n" or "\textphi\textschwa n"?
>>
>Al my input is in commands like " \textschwa".

Okay, that's useful to know. Getting the encoding right was my first priority.

>> Are all of your IPA commands contained within a \textipa{} macro?
>>
>Only a minority of my commands are within the \textipa{} macro.

Okay. I do wonder how you set off your phonetic spellings from your main
text, though.

>> Which of the special macros do you use? \* \; \: \!
>>
>None

Good. We'll leave them for later. :)

>> Do you use the \super macro much? Does it ever get nested? (Hans's
>> \high{} macro acts a little differently.)
>>
>I use the \super macro quite often but it is not nested in the \textipa{}
>macro.

I meant "Does the super macro ever get nested within another super macro?
" \high{\high{}} doesn't act exactly like \super{\super{}}, but we'll
leave that until later.

>> ...but I presume you want deeper support than that. Which do you need
>> first?
>
>A great number of symbols I use (especially the Indo-European ones) are
>only available through the IPA
>commands, therefore it seems that I need some deeper support.  I read

Hmm. Maybe yes, maybe no. I'm a bit concerned about the TS3 encoding (the
tipx supplemental fonts). That'll take a bit more work.

>your UnicodeSymbol pdf  about unicode
>mapping and wondered if there might be a similar way to map the TIPA font?

mmm... yes... I wonder the same thing. Does Unicode have all the coverage
you need, first of all?
In any case, Unicode support will be a bit more work than supporting the
nice TIPA fonts.

Last night I made an encoding, a typescript, and a couple quick "smart"
switches. I handle the basic character glyphs, but haven't touched the
accents yet. It would help to know where we need coverage there.

You can test the attached three files by running 'texexec --mode=demo m-tipa'.

Usage, for the time being, is:

\usemodule[tipa]
\usetypescript[tipa]
\setupbodyfont[reset]
\setupbodyfont[cmr,rm]
\starttext
Blah blah {\Phonetic bl@ Bl2} Blah.

Blah blah \textipa{bl\textschwa\ \textbeta l\textturnv} Blah.

{\bsx Blah blah {\Phonetic bl\textschwa\ \textbeta l\textturnv} Blah.}

\stoptext

Don't be silly and try to use math with this module, but please do try it
with a representative sample of your markup, and let me know which we
need to handle next.

Cheers,
adam
(Part of my interest in this is with fonts, sure, but I also have an
amateur interest in historical linguistics, and the link with english is
pretty clear... )

 Adam T. Lindsay                      atl@comp.lancs.ac.uk
 Computing Dept, Lancaster University   +44(0)1524/594.537
 Lancaster, LA1 4YR, UK             Fax:+44(0)1524/593.608

[-- Attachment #2: m-tipa.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 8612 bytes --]

* Re: TIPA in Context
@ 2004-06-05  7:08       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2004-06-05  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Does Unicode have all the coverage you need, first of all?
> In any case, Unicode support will be a bit more work than supporting
> the
> nice TIPA fonts.

Unicode should cover all existant symbols, as you know.

Perhaps you could try the free SIL fonts, esp. the nice and well-filled
"Gentium" font, see
http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=Gentium
(It has latin, greek, IPA and all latin-extended.)

There are some other interesting linguist fonts at the site, you may be
interested in...

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
--
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/