From: Hans Hagen <pragma@pi.net>
Cc: "ntg-context@ntg.nl" <ntg-context@ntg.nl>,
	Thomas Esser <te@informatik.uni-hannover.de>
Subject: Re: Installing ConTeXt under Unix
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 13:43:31 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello Berend and others,

Here are some remarks on the draft installation manual.

> Type `context -ini context' to create the format file. Two questions
> are asked, press Enter twice to install the dutch interface to ConText
> or enter `english' twice to install the english language interface or
> `german' to install the german language interface.

Actually there are four files (1) context.tex, (2) cont-nl, (3) cont-de
and (4) cont-en.

The fastest way to go is to use 2, 3 and 4. These run without asking
questions. The advantage is that one can say

  %&cont-en

on top of his document to load the relevant format automatically.

> ----------output----------------
> 9042 words of font info for 28 preloaded fonts
> 15 hyphenation exceptions
> Hyphenation trie of length 20024 has 577 ops out of 1501
>   70 for language 9
>   139 for language 3
>   181 for language 2
>   187 for language 1
> Output written on context.dvi (1 page, 280 bytes).
> Transcript written on context.log.
> /usr/local/texmf/tex/context# ls context.fmt
> context.fmt
> -------end output---------------

Now, here went something wrong! There is one page produced. First, no
fonts should be preloaded at all, which makes context more tfm
independant.

Where does this page come from? All context source files should end with
\endinput (to prevent problems with eof characters) and <ff> and
<cr><lf> should also give no problems. This problem is unix oriented,
and can be overcome by unzipping with a certain (i forgot one) switch
concerning lineendings or so.

Tobias, can you try to trace the file that causes the troubless? Just
move up the \dump command in context.tex until the problem (page 1)
disappears.

> Dit is CONTEXT versie <1998.5.21 > interface <dutch> meldingen <dutch>
>
> ..
>
> Copyright 1990-1998 / PRAGMA / J. Hagen - A.F. Otten
>
> korps          : 12pt romaan wordt geladen
> specials       : postscript,yandy,dviwindo,pdf geladen

For unix users: say

  \usespecials[reset,ps,tr,pdf]

in the file

  cont-sys.tex

That way, the right special will be loaded at runtime.

Concerning the memory, here are the values I use:

pool_size        =  500000
string_vacancies =   25000
max_strings      =   50000
pool_free        =  475000  % watch out Berend, you lost a 0

trie_size        =   64000
hyph_size        =    1000
buf_size         =    5000
nest_size        =     750
max_in_open      =      15
param_size       =    1500
save_size        =    8000
stack_size       =    1500

Now concerning web2c, here I use the pdftex alternative. This one is
100% dvi compatible, but also offers pdf output. Just say

  \usespecials[tpd]

at the begin of the file, and get yourself pdf! One binary and one
format thereby serve both output formats!

Hans

                                              Hans Hagen | PRAGMA
    tel: 038 477 53 69 | fax: 038 477 53 74 | mail: pragma@pi.net